United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 14-03-2016, 07:05 PM
Grimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Tatlock
*It could be because I used to read to him from "Small Time" before bed when he was younger
Oh yeah, that'd make any kid want to play in goal.

Unread 14-03-2016, 09:05 PM
Sizlack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Tatlock
For some inexplicable reason my lad has decided to play keeper this year.* The coach is delighted as we used to rotate the position and now he doesn't have to disappoint one of the prima donnas each week.

I initially though it was a huge mistake, as he's every inch a winger, but try convincing a 9 y/o that can name every keeper in the English Premiership and the Belgian Juplier League that he shouldn't play in nets. Anyway, half a season later the lad's a revelation. Excellent shot stopper, good positional play and superb as sweeper keeper. He's still little dodgy in his distribution but he'll get better.

*It could be because I used to read to him from "Small Time" before bed when he was younger
If there good out then they are good in the nets is usually the rule, as long as their brave. There aren't many kids who want to be a keeper. I think if a lad really wanted it from day 1 and dedicated his self to being a keeper he could make it, like athletics etc there isn't a real talent to it. Just decision making and agility. He would have to grow to 6'1 at least or he's pissed away the last 16 years in nets.

Unread 14-03-2016, 09:08 PM
Grimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizlack
If there good out then they are good in the nets is usually the rule, as long as their brave. There aren't many kids who want to be a keeper. I think if a lad really wanted it from day 1 and dedicated his self to being a keeper he could make it, like athletics etc there isn't a real talent to it. Just decision making and agility. He would have to grow to 6'1 at least or he's pissed away the last 16 years in nets.

Just decision making and agility and HANDLING. Which is a talent. I've seen plenty of keepers who were quick, agile, strong, explosive, and brave, but failed to make any sort of standard because their handling was poor.

You can't just decide to be a good keeper. You have to be born with the raw materials.

Unread 14-03-2016, 09:28 PM
Sizlack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimson
Just decision making and agility and HANDLING. Which is a talent. I've seen plenty of keepers who were quick, agile, strong, explosive, and brave, but failed to make any sort of standard because their handling was poor.

You can't just decide to be a good keeper. You have to be born with the raw materials.
I had a feeling you would reply. There is a skill being a keeper obviously I don't mean offence. Handling is one of the skills but humans have been manipulating things with their hands forever so it is a lot easier to train you're hands than your feet.

There are lots of pro keepers who got switched to that position in the academy's from playing out. I guess its a physique thing.

Unread 14-03-2016, 09:38 PM
Grimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizlack
I had a feeling you would reply. There is a skill being a keeper obviously I don't mean offence. Handling is one of the skills but humans have been manipulating things with their hands forever so it is a lot easier to train you're hands than your feet.

There are lots of pro keepers who got switched to that position in the academy's from playing out. I guess its a physique thing.
They haven't been catching light-as-air footballs struck with swerve and pace forever though.

I would agree it's easier than controlling a ball with your feet, obviously. But that doesn't mean it's easy. I'd hazard a guess a non-keeper would not enjoy a session of Dippers & Swervers with me. Fair chance of a broken finger or nose.

Unread 14-03-2016, 09:39 PM
Switching Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throw
How old is your lad Switchers?

Unread 14-03-2016, 09:47 PM
Sizlack

Quote:
I would agree it's easier than controlling a ball with your feet, obviously. But that doesn't mean it's easy. I'd hazard a guess a non-keeper would not enjoy a session of Dippers & Swervers with me. Fair chance of a broken finger or nose.
Most players are not brave enough. Never mind the shots, the thing that always got me a 'hard man' flies into a 50/50 and he's the dogs %@#$&!s a keeper has to do it hands and face first and he's stopping a sure goal so he's expected to be 100%. I couldn't have done it, I enjoy going in on the 5 a sides but not in a full game.

Unread 17-03-2016, 10:01 AM
suedeshoes

Sueders junior scored the winner in a 1-0 win cup QF win for his school yesterday. Semis and the final will be played at Leicester City's stadium

Unread 17-03-2016, 01:22 PM
Charlestown Rouge

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScholesScoresGoals2

Manchester cup semi final next week, playing the Salford leagues top team.
You're going to get gubbed and potentially stabbed. Good luck.

Unread 18-03-2016, 10:52 AM
ScholesScoresGoals2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestown Rouge
You're going to get gubbed and potentially stabbed. Good luck.
We aren't pal. hth

Unread 20-03-2016, 02:02 PM
suedeshoes

Thumbs up

Two more goals for sueders junior in a 3-0 win in the county cup final this morning. Cup winners!

Unread 20-03-2016, 04:58 PM
redhegemony

Quote:
They haven't been catching light-as-air footballs struck with swerve and pace forever though.

Unread 21-03-2016, 09:51 AM
ScholesScoresGoals2

Well the lads from Salford didn't know what hit them. As expected a big physical team but we out fought them and out played them and won 3-1. They had one shot on our goal all game

Final to be played at Platt Lane in April, great day!

Unread 21-03-2016, 10:06 AM
Charlestown Rouge

Quote:
Well the lads from Salford didn't know what hit them. As expected a big physical team but we out fought them and out played them and won 3-1. They had one shot on our goal all game

Final to be played at Platt Lane in April, great day!
Wow - that's great news, thanks for sharing Buddy. Which team do you coach and what league are they in?

Unread 21-03-2016, 10:08 AM
ScholesScoresGoals2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestown Rouge
Wow - that's great news, thanks for sharing Buddy. Which team do you coach and what league are they in?
#@&%!

Unread 04-04-2016, 03:10 PM
ScholesScoresGoals2

Another cracking win yesterday against a very strong Fletcher Moss team with scholes jnr bagging the winner.

2nd in the league now with 2 games in hand

Managed to get Bem Brasil to sponsor us for the Manchester Cup final and hopefully next season as well which will ease some of the financial issues with kids football

Unread 04-04-2016, 05:48 PM
ryanMUFC

Quote:
Another cracking win yesterday against a very strong Fletcher Moss team with scholes jnr bagging the winner.

2nd in the league now with 2 games in hand

Managed to get Bem Brasil to sponsor us for the Manchester Cup final and hopefully next season as well which will ease some of the financial issues with kids football
Bem Brasil > Chevrolet

Unread 04-04-2016, 05:55 PM
Fat Al

At Al Jnrs U-11s match yesterday.

The team on the pitch next to us were doing their pre-match warm-ups. Then the team captain gave his little speech.

"Remember Stephen Gerrard? Well, we don't let this slip. Nobody slips up"

Unread 05-04-2016, 09:01 AM
ScholesScoresGoals2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Al
At Al Jnrs U-11s match yesterday.

The team on the pitch next to us were doing their pre-match warm-ups. Then the team captain gave his little speech.

"Remember Stephen Gerrard? Well, we don't let this slip. Nobody slips up"

Unread 11-04-2016, 10:13 AM
ScholesScoresGoals2

9-1 win yesterday to go top of the league. Cup Final on Sunday and then a semi final the week after.

I'll have LVG's job if Mourinho doesn't
Closed Thread