Closed Thread

Unread 15-05-2007, 02:08 PM
antonin jablonsky

Default United ticket price rises, very bad news - from MEN via Red Ish

Stuart Brennan
Manchester Evening News
15/ 5/2007

The price isn't right for Reds

MANCHESTER United's ticket price increases are more than FOUR TIMES bigger than the club originally intended, according to documents leaked to the Manchester Evening News.

And the fact that the Glazer family has ripped up its initial plan to peg back prices this summer has been slammed as a cynical attempt to cash in on the club's success this season.

The documents also indicate that this year's whopping increases will not be the last, as the club has stated that it intends to `maximise revenue generated through ticket prices and enhanced stadium facility.'

That indicates that prices will continue to rise until empty seats begin to appear at Old Trafford.

Last summer, the Glazer family was only intending to put prices up by 2.5 per cent this year, after introducing a huge hike of 12.5 per cent in their first year of ownership.

But the family ignored that business plan and instead came up with an average increase of more than 10 per cent with prices in some areas of the ground rising as high as 14 per cent.

That increase ignored calls from supporters' groups, MPs and other bodies within the game for the huge influx of money from the Premier League's bumper overseas TV rights deal to be used to peg back ticket prices.

Inundated

The Manchester Evening News has been inundated with emails, letters and phone calls from supporters outraged by the increases, many long-term fans saying they can no longer afford the price, especially as season ticket prices now include automatic entry in the the cup ticket scheme which could cost fans up to £250 more a season.

But the United Supporters' Trust, MUST, believes the Glazers are playing a dangerous game by toying with fan loyalty.

A spokesman for the group said: "Many of our members have complained about these huge price rises for the third season running. Paying another 14% on top of last year's rise will prevent many of them from renewing their season tickets.

"If you add on to that the cost of the compulsory automatic cup scheme, which could be £250 a year or more, going to Old Trafford is becoming unaffordable for many traditional supporters.

"There is also resentment about the way their love and loyalty towards the club is being exploited under the Glazers' ownership when the club is making so much money out of the new TV deal and sponsorships.

"It seems clear from these leaked documents that the Glazers decided that they could get away with higher increases than originally planned, because Sir Alex has done such a fantastic job with the team producing the most exciting football at Old Trafford for years and winning the league in some style.

"From the murmurings we are hearing from United season ticket holders, the Glazers may well be misjudging just how far they can push things. They seem not to care about the fans if they can treat loyal supporters in this way."

Boom

The big price rise comes despite the fact that the club has been riding on a financial boom, not least from the bumper deal for overseas TV rights negotiated by the Premier League.

That deal means that United will receive £50m for winning the league, an increase of £20m on Chelsea's pay-out as champions last season.

On top of that, the success of the team in exceeding expectations in the Premiership, Champions League and FA Cup, the £12m windfall from the Jon Mikel Obi saga and the fact that United were the lowest net spenders in the Premier League last summer, have all created unexpected revenue.

United have flown in the face of current football trends, with Manchester City freezing their prices and clubs such as Bolton and Blackburn reducing the cost of some tickets. The spiralling cost of Premiership football has brought a fightback in the game, with the MEN's own `Make it Fair for Fans' campaign receiving widespread backing, including from sports minister Richard Caborn, PFA head Gordon Taylor and England boss Steve McClaren.

Asked to comment on the contents of the document and on the discontent among many fans over the price rises, a Glazer spokesman said: "We won't comment on these matters beyond saying that ticket prices represent excellent value for fans."

A United spokesman followed the same line, adding: "We believe that the prices we have set reflect not only demand for tickets at Old Trafford but also represents good value in the context of Premier League football."

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co...._for_reds.html

Unread 15-05-2007, 02:10 PM
1MUFC

Shouldn’t imagine it will affect you

Unread 15-05-2007, 02:10 PM
Ed Sullivan

has somone alerted rev of of this post?

TO THE REVMOBILE!!!

DANANANANANANANANANANANANA....GLAZER!!

Unread 15-05-2007, 02:11 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MUFC
Shouldn’t imagine it will affect you
The opinions of ignorant racists are irrelevant to me so imagine away.

Unread 15-05-2007, 02:11 PM
jhjh

saywhatyousee from FT first

http://www.utdforum.com/showthread.php?t=28261

Unread 15-05-2007, 02:12 PM
rubbernecker

Anyone that pays these prices is a @#%&!. End of

turkred

Am I missing something, the prices were announced about 3 weeks ago

antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhjh
Oops, sorry, missed it.

Unread 15-05-2007, 02:17 PM
Sparky***

They priced me out of my season ticket last year.

Unread 15-05-2007, 02:24 PM
Fountz

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonin jablonsky
The opinions of ignorant racists are irrelevant to me so imagine away.
What about Mawkish Scousers ?

Unread 15-05-2007, 02:24 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountz
What about Mawkish Scousers ?
Not bothered, done with all that.

Unread 15-05-2007, 02:33 PM
jhjh

"It is clear that those responsible for recouping the massive overspend in the Wembley budget are hoping to claw back as much as they can from those attending football matches at the stadium.

Unread 15-05-2007, 03:27 PM
Enjoying Insanity

So the fans are getting penalised for the teams good showing on the pitch evidently.... Hmmmmmm

Unread 15-05-2007, 03:29 PM
macawber

Yanky £#%&!y @#%&!s @#%&!s.
The only problem is it took me years to get a proper season ticket, not one of these johnny come lately ones and if I give it up now will I ever get another one if we get decent owners???

Unread 15-05-2007, 03:50 PM
My Name is Keith

It is old news but it still makes my £#%&!ing blood boil. The auto-cup scheme especially.

The important point is that this kind of increase will happen year on year until gaps start appearing at OT.

So I will give them a gap - albeit a minor and probably temporary one in Stretty Tier 2.

Not because I can't afford to renew, but because I'm not prepared to.

(I've had an ST since 1991/2 and a LMTB before that).

Unread 15-05-2007, 04:00 PM
armchair

Quote:
also http://www.utdforum.com/showthread.php?t=28285

some people eh

Unread 15-05-2007, 04:09 PM
jhjh

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
you are correct. I was the Blondie version of the Tide Is High. Not the original but not Atomic Kitten either.

You don't know if the fans Spokesperson Andrew K. posts on here do you Moderator ?

Unread 15-05-2007, 04:09 PM
TreeFiddy

The stadium will never become empty though. For every proper fan that gets behind the team but has been priced out, ten more shit fans who want to sit in silence are queueing up to take the ticket.

The already pathetic atmosphere at Old Trafford is set to get worse and worse each and every year. £#%&!ing @#%&!s.

Unread 15-05-2007, 04:12 PM
armchair

Quote:
you are correct. I was the Blondie version of the Tide Is High. Not the original but not Atomic Kitten either.

You don't know if the fans Spokesperson Andrew K. posts on here do you Moderator ?
I think so yeah.

Unread 15-05-2007, 06:47 PM
wiganste

My 30 years service at Old Trafford is over.

£#%&!ing money mad @#%&!s.
Closed Thread