United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 11-02-2016, 01:41 AM
ScarFace

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
15m for a man who can't get a job anywhere else?
Then we're a perfect match because no other top manager wants the job.

Anyway...

Henry Winter: "The fact that Guardiola has come in at City has really upped the ante for Ed Woodward and everyone at United."

Henry Winter: "There's been long standing concerns about Mourinho's style of football... I think those might well be put aside this summer."

Unread 11-02-2016, 01:41 AM
signed dc

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Genuinely don't understand people getting so emotional. The LvG situation will take care of itself. If he turns it around and we have a successful end of season, that's a good thing. If he doesn't, he'll leave and Mourinho would probably be on a very short list of candidates to replace him. If not Mou, then someone like Pochettino who would also be exciting. It'll resolve itself naturally.

Either way, don't get why people don't just calm down and focus on hoping we continue our recent improved form on Saturday.
it's not going to effect the outcome though is it? Asking a lot of Cream too.

Unread 11-02-2016, 01:46 AM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarFace
Then we're a perfect match because no other top manager wants the job.

Anyway...

Henry Winter: "The fact that Guardiola has come in at City has really upped the ante for Ed Woodward and everyone at United."

Henry Winter: "There's been long standing concerns about Mourinho's style of football... I think those might well be put aside this summer."
Why? Because Guardiola went to City, that means no one wants to work here? Luckily I think we still have more standing in the football world than we do on Fred.

Unread 11-02-2016, 01:48 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by signed dc
it's not going to effect the outcome though is it? Asking a lot of Cream too.
The speculation is definitely a distraction for the club. Obviously not an awful lot we can do about that. Club need to probably say something. But I meant in terms of getting worked up about who the manager will be, rather than the rest of the season.

United will start the season either with a revitalised LvG, or with Mourinho or an equally promising option. Can't see the point in getting emotional about it right now, when the team is playing well and we have lots of games coming up and plenty to play for.

Just seems to me people get stuck in a cycle of moaning and distraction from the actual football, which is hard to break.

Quote:
Why? Because Guardiola went to City, that means no one wants to work here? Luckily I think we still have more standing in the football world than we do on Fred.
Absolutely the worst thing you could want to read is that United have now become the team in Manchester that is looking over the garden fence and worrying about the neighbours. If we're letting City's activity inform out club decisions, that's a hugely worrying sign of the direction we're going in. Ferguson didn't give a shit about them; he encouraged everyone to do the same. And we took the title back.

United should hire Mourinho because they believe in him, not because they're spooked about City and think only a big name will do.

Unread 11-02-2016, 01:54 AM
utd99

Well someone is briefing all the tabs, and if it's Mourinho's side isn't that going to make it less likely he gets the job? I've seen many things, but never a manager bullying himself into a top club.

Maybe we have jibbed him so many times he's gone mental and is just going to show up one day and sit in the dugout.

Unread 11-02-2016, 02:01 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Well someone is briefing all the tabs, and if it's Mourinho's side isn't that going to make it less likely he gets the job? I've seen many things, but never a manager bullying himself into a top club.

Maybe we have jibbed him so many times he's gone mental and is just going to show up one day and sit in the dugout.
It is strange. Perhaps they feel if they add this much pressure it makes it tougher for United to back out of it.

Many of the tabs will just be guessing also, tbf. We saw that with the LvG stuff this season.

Unread 11-02-2016, 02:03 AM
ScarFace

draw

Unread 11-02-2016, 02:07 AM
Buck

Mourinho would be a trophy appointment which fits in with Woodward's M.O.

I would understand it if he wanted to give LvG the rest of the season, purely because that's his man and dismissing him would make him look bad. But if/when he does go and Mourinho's not coming then he must be bowing down to others on the board.

I highly doubt the Glazers would turn down a man with that CV. I suspect they never heard of David Moyes before May 2013.

The division of power among the hierarchy is going to continue to screw us over IMO. Get the right man in to right the wrongs of these last two. I don't care if two knights of the realms don't agree. They had their chance to select a manager and royally £#%&!ed it up.

Unread 11-02-2016, 02:07 AM
utd99

Quote:
It is strange. Perhaps they feel if they add this much pressure it makes it tougher for United to back out of it.

Many of the tabs will just be guessing also, tbf. We saw that with the LvG stuff this season.
Back out of what? Either we have offered him the job, in which case why brief; or we haven't, in which case there's nothing to back out of, and is just likely to piss people off enough to ensure he never gets it. None of it makes sense.

I know dignity is a four letter word around here, but I don't think this is the way United should be going about it's business. We have become a circus since Fergie left.

Unread 11-02-2016, 02:14 AM
Jose

Quote:
Back out of what? Either we have offered him the job, in which case why brief; or we haven't, in which case there's nothing to back out of, and is just likely to piss people off enough to ensure he never gets it. None of it makes sense.

I know dignity is a four letter word around here, but I don't think this is the way United should be going about it's business. We have become a circus since Fergie left.
Too much smoke without fire... This was the same with guardiola and city

Quote:

it was a circus with Fergie too... But because of the trophies no one noticed it...

Unread 11-02-2016, 02:18 AM
Sparky***

Quote:

It's all borne out of what is happening on the pitch. If all in the garden was rosy and United were in the top 4, realistically in with a shout of the title, they wouldn't be filling the back pages with rumour and speculation every week.

The fact is, apart from a few isolated results and a short run of form around spring time last year - Manchester United have been utterly wretched for the best part of 3 years. All this chaos is coming from that fact.

The press absolutely hate Van Gaal as well so every day it's a chance to think of another way to stick the boot into him.

Unread 11-02-2016, 02:39 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:

That's just it. You can become entrenched and tied to a story even through none of your own making.

If Mourinho makes it very clear he wants the job, makes it appear that everything is basically done and all United need to do is sign on the dotted line, the result is raised expectations. People almost expect it to happen, it becomes inevitable. People get used to the idea that he'll take over and before long United better have a damn good reason not to sign on that line.

That's how it feels to me. Make yourself the public choice; the obvious choice. It's campaigning.

Unread 11-02-2016, 02:39 AM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
It's all borne out of what is happening on the pitch. If all in the garden was rosy and United were in the top 4, realistically in with a shout of the title, they wouldn't be filling the back pages with rumour and speculation every week.

The fact is, apart from a few isolated results and a short run of form around spring time last year - Manchester United have been utterly wretched for the best part of 3 years. All this chaos is coming from that fact.

The press absolutely hate Van Gaal as well so every day it's a chance to think of another way to stick the boot into him.
I don't even know what to say to be honest. There's so much going on now that would never have been allowed to happen under Fergie. Really makes you appreciate what we had. In almost every respect we are significantly less than we were just three short years ago.

You do realize of course that Mourinho is a gigantic gamble right? If he doesn't change his ways it could be £#%&!ing horrendous. I mean Stamford Bridge is a cesspool to begin with, and he managed to drag even them down to new depths. That said, if he manages to find the gravitas required to fit the stature of the job he could also be our saviour. But with him you never know. I don't blame them for being cautious.

Similarly, I'm afraid of what ceding too much power to Mendes will mean. On the one hand it's always handy to have an inside track on the movement of top players, but if we end up with him representing the manager, possibly a director of football, and half the squad he will effectively run the club.

Where we are is worrying, but I'm not sure it's worth selling your soul to the devil for a quick fix.

Unread 11-02-2016, 02:49 AM
Sparky***

Quote:
I don't even know what to say to be honest. There's so much going on now that would never have been allowed to happen under Fergie. Really makes you appreciate what we had. In almost every respect we are significantly less than we were just three short years ago.

You do realize of course that Mourinho is a gigantic gamble right? If he doesn't change his ways it could be £#%&!ing horrendous. I mean Stamford Bridge is a cesspool to begin with, and he managed to drag even them down to new depths. That said, if he manages to find the gravitas required to fit the stature of the job he could also be our saviour. But with him you never know. I don't blame them for being cautious.
I realise that Mourinho isn't perfect. But it's no more a gamble than appointing David Moyes. Louis Van Gaal was also supposed to be a hellraiser and someone who would apparently come into the club and make enemies, have huge fall outs with people. So far I've seen someone far from that in charge at United, someone who at times looks almost depressed and defeated. Quite the opposite from this fiery tyrant we kept getting told he was.

For me, Mourinho the only available manager who ticks all the boxes and lets face it, there aren't many. People keep beating the drum for Pochettino, but i'm not convinced - let him get spurs into the top 2-3 places every season for a few years, actually win something; not just one topsy turvy year where other teams are underperforming. You may as well say let's get Claudio Ranieri in, if that's what you're looking for.

Mourinho has done it, continuously, for over a decade. You really couldn't ask for a better candidate in terms of proven pedigree.

As for ceding too much power to Mendes - pffft. After the whole bebe nonsense, you really can't be serious. Fergie was just as bad.

Unread 11-02-2016, 03:40 AM
Jose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
I realise that Mourinho isn't perfect. But it's no more a gamble than appointing David Moyes. Louis Van Gaal was also supposed to be a hellraiser and someone who would apparently come into the club and make enemies, have huge fall outs with people. So far I've seen someone far from that in charge at United, someone who at times looks almost depressed and defeated. Quite the opposite from this fiery tyrant we kept getting told he was.

For me, Mourinho the only available manager who ticks all the boxes and lets face it, there aren't many. People keep beating the drum for Pochettino, but i'm not convinced - let him get spurs into the top 2-3 places every season for a few years, actually win something; not just one topsy turvy year where other teams are underperforming. You may as well say let's get Claudio Ranieri in, if that's what you're looking for.

Mourinho has done it, continuously, for over a decade. You really couldn't ask for a better candidate in terms of proven pedigree.

As for ceding too much power to Mendes - pffft. After the whole bebe nonsense, you really can't be serious. Fergie was just as bad.
ceding power to mendes

fergie was in bed with him. "best agent I have worked with", "different to other agents"...

It was like this under fergie too just it never made everyone talk because of continued success.

Unread 11-02-2016, 03:53 AM
Part 36 Offer

Quote:

Similarly, I'm afraid of what ceding too much power to Mendes will mean. On the one hand it's always handy to have an inside track on the movement of top players, but if we end up with him representing the manager, possibly a director of football, and half the squad he will effectively run the club.

Where we are is worrying, but I'm not sure it's worth selling your soul to the devil for a quick fix.
The devil ffs. He's a football manager! What's the worst that can happen? You're going on like we are appointing the head of ISIS. If it doesn't work out it surely can't be as bad as the shite we've seen over the last few years, tbf.

Also, a gamble?

Quote:
Porto
• Primeira Liga: 2002–03, 2003–04
• Taηa de Portugal: 2002–03
• Supertaηa Cβndido de Oliveira: 2003
• UEFA Champions League: 2003–04
• UEFA Cup: 2002–03

Chelsea
• Premier League: 2004–05, 2005–06, 2014–15
• FA Cup: 2006–07
• Football League Cup: 2004–05, 2006–07, 2014–15
• FA Community Shield: 2005

Inter Milan
• Serie A: 2008–09, 2009–10
• Coppa Italia: 2009–10
• Supercoppa Italiana: 2008
• UEFA Champions League: 2009–10

Real Madrid
• La Liga: 2011–12
• Copa del Rey: 2010–11
• Supercopa de Espaρa: 2012

Unread 11-02-2016, 03:56 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose
ceding power to mendes

fergie was in bed with him. "best agent I have worked with", "different to other agents"...

It was like this under fergie too just it never made everyone talk because of continued success.
The Bebe thing was clearly dodgy, but Mendes would never have undue power at United under Fergie. It was Fergie's choice.

But it would be the same with Mourinho. He's not going to allow Mendes to dictate to him which players he buys. He may help, but Mourinho is not a Peter Lim at Valencia or Rybolovlev at Monaco who will just buy whoever Mendes tells them to.

Unread 11-02-2016, 04:00 AM
VodkaAndCoke

Quote:
The Bebe thing was clearly dodgy, but Mendes would never have undue power at United under Fergie. It was Fergie's choice.

But it would be the same with Mourinho. He's not going to allow Mendes to dictate to him which players he buys. He may help, but Mourinho is not a Peter Lim at Valencia or Rybolovlev at Monaco who will just buy whoever Mendes tells them to.
Indeed! I wonder why?

Unread 11-02-2016, 05:28 AM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Part 36 Offer
The devil ffs. He's a football manager! What's the worst that can happen? You're going on like we are appointing the head of ISIS. If it doesn't work out it surely can't be as bad as the shite we've seen over the last few years, tbf.

Also, a gamble?
I was talking about Mendes tbh. I don't think it's healthy for an agent to have too much power at one club. They give a £#%&! about themselves first and their clients second; the club doesn't come into the equation.

Look, I think Mourinho could be great for us, however he could also be awful depending on which version turns up. That's the gamble. Now maybe we don't have the same hand we once did, so a manager of that stature, who wants to be here, is hard to ignore, but not if he's going to be the self promoting trouble maker we have seen elsewhere. Manage the team, have some humility and look to promote youth where possible and I'm all for it.

Quote:

You think Mourinho really wanted Falcao mate?

Unread 11-02-2016, 05:37 AM
Jose

Quote:
You think Mourinho really wanted Falcao mate?
you really think fergie wanted bebe?

there are reasons other than football that were convenient for both managers...
Closed Thread