United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Manchester United Match Thread Archive

Unread 02-04-2023, 11:54 PM
Dr Gonzo

The only positive I can take from today was that at least Maguire didn't get injured : we need him to be wrapped up in cotton wool until the next transfer window opens

Unread 03-04-2023, 08:42 AM
magic_cantona

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
it's almost as if we need someone to fix this.

it wasn't de gea that passed to Varane

Jem, does DDG put us under pressure in most matches by making a stray pass when playing out from the back when there's absolutely no need to?

Is his kicking a huge problem (because just can't do it)? Just answer yes or no and stop being such a pedant ffs.

Unread 03-04-2023, 09:21 AM
Denis Irwell

If there was any plan at all, maybe it was one of containment and throw on Martial etc late on as they commit more. Any notion of that went in the bin after that £#%&!ing pantomime preceding the first goal. Still £#%&!ing flabbergasted at that.

Don’t have great expectations for the next couple of games other than avoiding further collapse and hope the return of the mf will see us back in shape. Dropping points was half expected at this stage but £#%&! me, the stupidity that led to gifting them the points

Unread 03-04-2023, 09:40 AM
Stickman

Subbing both the CBs was a proper heads gone move.

I’d not start that front 4 without Casemiro at home let alone away.

Play midfielders and nick it ffs, our attack is impotent anyway.

Unread 03-04-2023, 09:45 AM
magic_cantona

And I'm still unsure as to what The Scottish Player is - apart from awful. He made one run forward yesterday (3 minutes before being subbed) so he's not an attacking midfielder but then he can't put in a decent tackle to stamp any authority on the game. He's so, so poor.

Unread 03-04-2023, 09:46 AM
windy waffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_cantona
And I'm still unsure as to what The Scottish Player is - apart from awful. He made one run forward yesterday (3 minutes before being subbed) so he's not an attacking midfielder but then he can't put in a decent tackle to stamp any authority on the game. He's so, so poor.
Looks likes a Newcastle player. Would even suit the strip.

Unread 03-04-2023, 10:00 AM
History

That spine of Sabitzer, The Scottish Player and Weggy.

We talk about footballers and managers being role models, then Ten Hag has let millions of kids witness that Horrific

Unread 03-04-2023, 10:12 AM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_cantona
Jem, does DDG put us under pressure in most matches by making a stray pass when playing out from the back when there's absolutely no need to?

Is his kicking a huge problem (because just can't do it)? Just answer yes or no and stop being such a pedant ffs.
by being a pedant, you mean when you blame him for a specific goal, it's not fair to point out that it wasn't actually his fault at all? mmmk.

his passing is generally a bit shonky, but the pass that put varane under pressure was from martinez, whose passing is generally among the best in the team (indeed, in the league). the problem is trying to play it out from the back when we don't have the players - we always look shit doing it. apart from anything else, when newcastle have three players on the edge of the area just waiting to charge in on the ball, where the £#%&! were the midfielders, so the defence can just slide the ball past the press? this is about organisation. even players like martinez and varane panic.

Unread 03-04-2023, 10:21 AM
Denis Irwell

We suspended one striker, another left and the other one never gets out of bed. Rashford clearly carrying a knock. Both crucial mf players out, and we’ve played more games than any other team in Europe, and had 17 international players involved in qualifiers against a team who, in that time have had a nice little break and when they returned, feverishly set about revenge for the injustice of us beating them in a final. All the time in the world to prepare and get themselves wound up. We assisted them by playing like strangers and enacted an absolute comedy to gift them the goal that they needed.

Oh, and then there’s the owners.

Could be worse, I suppose.

Unread 03-04-2023, 10:22 AM
dunk

We’re playing out from the back because de Gea can’t £#%&!ing kick it with any sort of distance or accuracy consistently.

Unread 03-04-2023, 10:29 AM
shenwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
We’re playing out from the back because de Gea can’t £#%&!ing kick it with any sort of distance or accuracy consistently.
Agree but I'd still rather he plays long because at least the ball is out of the danger area. It's route one but it's the best we can do.

On Rashford, he should have been taken off yesterday instead of one of the CBs. We basically gave up at that point and were only one down still.

Unread 03-04-2023, 11:15 AM
Sparky***

Only just seen on social media the state of Newcastle after the final whistle

what was that all about? Lap of honour, players running to the corners and geeing up the crowd, photos and cameras in the dressing room afterwards filming Howe giving some 'any given sunday' speech

Maybe i'm getting old but i don't get this trend of ridiculous overt displays of team unity and over-celebrating every single win. i look at Arteta, Klopp and even Guardiola on the touchline on Saturday and i wonder is this what it takes to be successful now in this country? Do you need to exude this swivel-eyed, coked-up intensity at every turn?

I think Carlo Ancelotti is the last of a dying breed.

Unread 03-04-2023, 11:20 AM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by windy waffles
Looks likes a Newcastle player. Would even suit the strip.
Was thinking yesterday that if him and that brother (is it shawcross?) swapped shirts at half time I wonder if anyone would notice

Unread 03-04-2023, 11:21 AM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis Irwell
We suspended one striker, another left and the other one never gets out of bed. Rashford clearly carrying a knock. Both crucial mf players out, and we’ve played more games than any other team in Europe, and had 17 international players involved in qualifiers against a team who, in that time have had a nice little break and when they returned, feverishly set about revenge for the injustice of us beating them in a final. All the time in the world to prepare and get themselves wound up. We assisted them by playing like strangers and enacted an absolute comedy to gift them the goal that they needed.

Possibly the most succinct summary i've read on the internet

Unread 03-04-2023, 11:42 AM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis Irwell

This

Unread 03-04-2023, 11:58 AM
dunk

That's why Weghorst plays, Rashford would do the same.

Unread 03-04-2023, 11:59 AM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
https://twitter.com/DiscoMirror/stat...366604800?s=20

That's why Weghorst plays, Rashford would do the same.

I saw that, he couldn't have given less of a £#%&!. Doesn't excuse the piss poor defending but his attitude is dogshit.

Unread 03-04-2023, 12:04 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whip Hubley
I saw that, he couldn't have given less of a £#%&!. Doesn't excuse the piss poor defending but his attitude is dogshit.
Yep.

The piss poor defending is as a result of being under constant pressure and the ball coming back at them time after time with no protection in front of them and a shithouse behind them.

That all said, Newcastle haven't lost many at home and certainly don't concede many. It feels a bit like we were victims of the perfect storm for them in coming of the international break, missing our midfielders and best RB etc. No excuse at all for not matching the effort and intensity though.

Unread 03-04-2023, 12:08 PM
dodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
Only just seen on social media the state of Newcastle after the final whistle

what was that all about? Lap of honour, players running to the corners and geeing up the crowd, photos and cameras in the dressing room afterwards filming Howe giving some 'any given sunday' speech

Maybe i'm getting old but i don't get this trend of ridiculous overt displays of team unity and over-celebrating every single win. i look at Arteta, Klopp and even Guardiola on the touchline on Saturday and i wonder is this what it takes to be successful now in this country? Do you need to exude this swivel-eyed, coked-up intensity at every turn?

I think Carlo Ancelotti is the last of a dying breed.
This, very much so and seemingly echoed in the media. Dan Burn's "we've always hated man yoo" comments also laughed off and encouraged.

I might have missed it but was there even a momentary discussion about the clear and obvious penalty we weren't given?

Unread 03-04-2023, 12:16 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger
This, very much so and seemingly echoed in the media. Dan Burn's "we've always hated man yoo" comments also laughed off and encouraged.

I might have missed it but was there even a momentary discussion about the clear and obvious penalty we weren't given?
The handball? Or when Bruno played the ball before he was tackled from behind?