United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 18-03-2018, 03:44 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkie
No, he should have been hired in 2013 but alas.
I probably would’ve just about stomached him then, and he’d be gone by now.

Unread 18-03-2018, 02:13 PM
utd99

Maybe I’m old fashioned, I dunno. I hear shirt numbers, positions, dropped, other players bought, all to excuse what looks for all the world like a clear lack of desire. It doesn’t compute. Even in his first year the simple things like making off the ball runs or breaking a neck to get in the box when play was advancing down the right were painfully obvious by their absence. It got to the point where I would start to watch for it when a replay of the game was on, and there it was time and time again. Standing and trotting are Martial’s trademark. That and ball to feet running directly into full backs.

Haven’t we seen enough players over the years to discern the difference in attitude between a young Ronaldo or Rooney and a Martial? What was the main criticism of Ronaldo in the early years? Greedy, show pony, no end product; never once heart or desire. Passionate players can learn the most effective, efficient way to channel their drive; dispassionate players cannot, even if they have bags of potential.

Scholes made the point early in Martial’s United career that he just doesn’t look like he cares. I know it’s easy to dismiss our old players criticism as rent-a-quote, but he wouldn’t have made that comment blithely. I think he’s right.

Unread 18-03-2018, 02:15 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
Maybe I’m old fashioned, I dunno. I hear shirt numbers, positions, dropped, other players bought, all to excuse what looks for all the world like a clear lack of desire. It doesn’t compute. Even in his first year the simple things like making off the ball runs or breaking a neck to get in the box when play was advancing down the right were painfully obvious by their absence. It got to the point where I would start to watch for it when a replay of the game was on, and there it was time and time again. Standing and trotting are Martial’s trademark. That and ball to feet running directly into full backs.

Haven’t we seen enough players over the years to discern the difference in attitude between a young Ronaldo or Rooney and a Martial? What was the main criticism of Ronaldo in the early years? Greedy, show pony, no end product; never once heart or desire. Passionate players can learn the most effective, efficient way to channel their drive; dispassionate players cannot, even if they have bags of potential.

Scholes made the point early in Martial’s United career that he just doesn’t look like he cares. I know it’s easy to dismiss our old players criticism as rent-a-quote, but he wouldn’t have made that comment blithely. I think he’s right.
Bags of talent but not much between the ears.

Like most of this team.

Unread 18-03-2018, 02:21 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
Bags of talent but not much between the ears.

Like most of this team.
Which is precisely where the top players play. Athleticism only gets you so far.

Unread 18-03-2018, 02:30 PM
LFOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
I probably would’ve just about stomached him then, and he’d be gone by now.
Same - but I don't share your vision of Martial's future. I see Anleka not Henry. Moody @#%&!. Nightmare dinner guests- him and Jose at your table , even in best of times two moody £#%&!ers.

Unread 18-03-2018, 03:03 PM
Shade

Great skill on the ball with pace.

Now if only he can make better decisions in the final third instead of running with his head down into opposition defenders and losing the ball.

Unread 18-03-2018, 04:32 PM
suedeshoes

He's shit. Get rid.

Unread 18-03-2018, 05:13 PM
Whalefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by suedeshoes
He's shit. Get rid.
I'm not sure about him being shit but a dipper was overheard the day claiming he (Martial) looks more like an Arsenal player than a United one. Whatever the £#%&! that means.

Tbh I couldn't care less if he goes, Pogba too.

Unread 18-03-2018, 05:54 PM
ScarFace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalefish
I'm not sure about him being shit but a dipper was overheard the day claiming he (Martial) looks more like an Arsenal player than a United one. Whatever the £#%&! that means.

Tbh I couldn't care less if he goes, Pogba too.
Weak minded. Wet lettuce. Moody. Can be great at times but mostly not. French. Attacker. Young. An overall disappointment.

Unread 20-03-2018, 04:03 PM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkie
Whilst I agree overall, I've read descriptions that basically outline him to be the heir to Messi or Ronaldo's throne

He has the talent but, he is not doing it! The most effective I've seen him this season was coming from the bench, after 70 odd mins, when opposition were £#%&!ed...

Hudderfield away...We lost...Within the 3rd minute, he got tackled fairly and dispossessed and he went moaning to the referee...Disappeared for the other 90 minutes...Yet, I'm told it's everyone elses' fault.

It is baffling
People seem to judge our players on paper rather than the pitch. They judge the manager on the pitch not on paper. Should be the other way around.

Quote:
... he was never interested in him and the lad never stood a chance.
Makes sense.

Quote:
It took him 3-4 months to get anything out of Martial last season as a result of that action.
Or the shit that was going on in his personal life.

Unread 20-03-2018, 04:24 PM
Ethers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammy Dodger
People seem to judge our players on paper rather than the pitch. They judge the manager on the pitch not on paper. Should be the other way around.

Makes sense.

Or the shit that was going on in his personal life.
The manager should be judged on paper not the pitch? What the £#%&! does that even mean?

Unread 20-03-2018, 04:34 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
The manager should be judged on paper not the pitch? What the £#%&! does that even mean?
New to Jammy?

Unread 20-03-2018, 04:37 PM
Ethers

Quote:
New to Jammy?
Unfortunately not

Unread 20-03-2018, 05:33 PM
andyroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarFace
Young. An overall disappointment.
True but leave him out of this thread.

Unread 20-03-2018, 05:35 PM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
Figure it out.

Unread 20-03-2018, 06:11 PM
ScholesGingerSheen

You just don't get rid of potential worldies at 22, If Martial was still as prone to streaks of poor form in 2 or 3 years then maybe you cut your losses but judging players that aren't Messi and Ronaldo as the finished article at 22 is monumentally stupid, most of the great strikers in history didn't even begin to hit stride until 23-24.

You'd assume Mourinho of all people would've learnt the dangers of jumping the gun from De Bruyne or Salah.

Unread 20-03-2018, 08:05 PM
RemisMoses

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScholesGingerSheen
You just don't get rid of potential worldies at 22, If Martial was still as prone to streaks of poor form in 2 or 3 years then maybe you cut your losses but judging players that aren't Messi and Ronaldo as the finished article at 22 is monumentally stupid, most of the great strikers in history didn't even begin to hit stride until 23-24.

You'd assume Mourinho of all people would've learnt the dangers of jumping the gun from De Bruyne or Salah.
Amen to that.

Unread 10-04-2018, 10:00 AM
RemisMoses

How do we feel about losing this lad? Its pretty obvious hes on his way. We owe Monaco another £9m if he scores 1 more goal and hes hardly been picked.its obvious Jose doesn't trust him & I assume the money men have had a chat with Jose and they have agreed not to play him? £9m is a lot to pay especially if hes off anyway at the end of the season.

Its obviously a straight choice between Anthony and Marcus so we cant complain, although ill be gutted to lose this kid.

Unread 10-04-2018, 10:11 AM
saffers

Descahmps said we're not selling.

Stop going around spreading negativity soucse bastard

Unread 10-04-2018, 10:14 AM
Jethro

Good as gone. Will be used as a makeweight in a deal nqat
Closed Thread