United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 08-11-2007, 01:22 PM
Fatboy Shrek

Default What if it's not Mark Hughes?

Fergie and all this 21 years business got me thinking about his replacement, who will arrive, presumably sooner rather than later. I had a quick look at the betfair 'next manager market' and it looks as follows...

R. Keane 6/1
C. Quieroz 6/1
M. Hughes 6/1
M. O'Neill 10/1
J. Mourinho 14.1
F. Cappello 30/1
SG. Eriksson 30/1
S. Allardyce 45/1
M. Lippi 45/1

Mourinho's an interesting one. He's a good manager no doubt, but i'm not sure he'd want to come back to England and i for one wouldn't welcome him at the club. Infact i'm not sure a foreign manager is what we need at all at this club (try sying that 5 years ago ), the negativity their football inherently brings and the fact we've had the same British manager for 20 odd years, a quiet foreigner might be a bit of a culture shock. That rules out the majority of the other long shots. Then there's O'Neill, as short as 3/1 to be our next manager at one point, he seems to have faded into the distance lately. At Villa he hasn't seemed to manage the same magic he conjoured at Leicster and Celtic respectively and his name is no longer being touted around as it once was.

So that leaves the markets 'big 3'. All very plausible candidates, but i for one, would be horrified if our next manager wasn't the third name in that list, one Leslie Mark Hughes, OBE. Quieroz has his advantages sure. He has been with the club for over 4 years and knows all the players as well as anyone. Presumably he has learnt a bit of fergie in his time too. However, you always get that feeling that he's a coach and always should be, his spell at Madrid done nothing to dispell this. My least preferred choice out of the big 3.

Keane's a strange one. He's still fresh in the minds of all United fans and his start in management - especially last year in turning them round - has been extremely promising. However, experience is the main problem and i'm not sure that when Fergie leaves, that Keane will have enough. For example if fergie retires at the end of next season (the summer of '09), Keane will have been in management for under 3 years, whereas Hughes will have been a club manager for over 5 years and an also had an extended stint at international level. Experience alone isn't enough and perhaps that is another area hughes stands out. He has completely turned around a very average side into one of the better sides in the division over a sustained period.

So, for me he is the only true choice for our next manager. Oh and it helps he's United.

Unread 08-11-2007, 01:23 PM
antonin jablonsky

I think we've 4 or 5 years more of Fergie.

Unread 08-11-2007, 01:23 PM
El Calafate

Queiroz will get first go i would think. nft.

Unread 08-11-2007, 01:24 PM
Mr_Ed

I think Eric was right when he said Fergie will leave OT in a box...

Personally I think Lippi would be a good appointment - you would need somebody who would have the respect of the players.

I note that Gary Megson isn't on the list though

Unread 08-11-2007, 01:24 PM
Whalefish

I still say it's a poisoned chalice and it'll take a brave man to jump in.

I personally don't think Keane will go anywhere near the OT job for a good few years yet. Hasn't done anything yet to be considered either IMO and I think he'd be the first to say that too.

If I was a betting man - and I'm not - I would still get my money on Hughes.

Unread 08-11-2007, 01:37 PM
dodger

Hughes, Hughes and Hughes. With Hughes as assistant

Unread 08-11-2007, 01:42 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan_Tier2
wish he'd £#%&! off now
Why?

Unread 08-11-2007, 01:47 PM
rebelcountyred

Lippi

Unread 08-11-2007, 01:55 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
cos i dislike the man
and that's more important than the team's success? Fair enuff if a bit selfish of you.

Unread 08-11-2007, 01:59 PM
MJ Ramone

It's an impossible job.

When Ferguson took the reigns I was a 12 year old boy!
The man has been a constant in my entire adult life. I can't imagine ANYONE else in charge.

If he promised to uphold the traditions of United, if he swore an oath to NEVER play boring football then I'd quite like Mourinho.
Just because he'd annoy all the ABU's & the press scum.
I'd bet anything that Mourinho has got his heart set on replacing Fergie.

Ideally I'd like a British manager - I guess Keane or Hughesie are favourites but it's hard to call.

Unread 08-11-2007, 02:07 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
footballs about more than success
Agreed, though succes is a good way to measure achievment. Still at United, style of play is also hugely important. I love some of the stuff we've been playing the last coupla years.

Unread 08-11-2007, 02:07 PM
sudored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalefish
I still say it's a poisoned chalice and it'll take a brave man to jump in
a bit like following smikes as goalkeeper at united only 100 harder!

Unread 08-11-2007, 02:22 PM
poppy

If Fergie was to retire I'd like to see us try for Wenger as he's a better manager than any of the others mentioned.

Unread 08-11-2007, 02:27 PM
Fatboy Shrek

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppy
If Fergie was to retire I'd like to see us try for Wenger as he's a better manager than any of the others mentioned.
That's debateable. With the resources and players he's got, has he been more or less effective than Hughes in the last 3 years?

Or do you just have something against Welshmen?

Unread 08-11-2007, 02:29 PM
antonin jablonsky

Fergie sounded like he'd be staying a few more years when interviewed pre-match last night. Commented when asked about 21 years in charge that last year it was 20 and soon it'll be 25 or 26. No need to worry, unless you dislike the man personally for some reason

Unread 08-11-2007, 02:29 PM
dunk

It will be Carlos Querioz.

Rene Meulensteen or Brian McClair as his assistant.

Continuity is the key.

Unread 08-11-2007, 02:37 PM
poppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatboy Shrek
That's debateable. With the resources and players he's got, has he been more or less effective than Hughes in the last 3 years?

Or do you just have something against Welshmen?
I'd prefer to see Wenger than Hughes to be honest with you. People talk about not having Mourinho because of the style of football his teams play an then in the same breath say they'd like to see Hughes as manager.

Granted Hughes doesn't have the dosh to go out and buy the great players to play in the style of Arsenal or United but then again neither does David Moyes at Everton and I'd say they play a better style of football, have a better team than Blackburn and Moyes has done a better job over the last 5 years than Hughes.

I'd prefer Moyes to Hughes to be honest with you. I don't think we should look more favourably on possible candidates just because they've been ex players of ours.

With that thinking, we might never have ended up with Fergie.

Unread 08-11-2007, 02:40 PM
The Watcher

Hughes seems the popular choice. Wales played some good stuff with him in charge and he's done very well at Blackburn. A good option.

To be honest, I can't think of anyone that'd do as good a job as Fergie's managed since getting rid of Keane. The football is brilliant and our transfers have shown he means to build another attack orientated side. I doubt many modern managers would do the same. It's just a shame the great man is 66.

In a perfect world, Eric would take over and lead us to even greater heights. Realistically, Carlos will be given another crack at the job. I can't wait

I think Frank Rijkard would be interesting, he should be Milan manager around the time Fergie finally retires

Unread 08-11-2007, 02:42 PM
antonin jablonsky

I think Blackburn play pretty good football these days, 4-4-2 with2 wingers a lot of the time. Hughes is basically a pragmatist when it comes to his teams but he does like attacking football. With Wales he played really attacking football 'cos he knew he didn't have enough quality in defence. At Blackburn to begin with he made them a gritty physical side to grind out results 'cos he didn't have the quality. As he's spent time though he's gradually brought inb more quality and the style of play has got better with them.

Unread 08-11-2007, 02:45 PM
Fatboy Shrek

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppy
I'd prefer to see Wenger than Hughes to be honest with you. People talk about not having Mourinho because of the style of football his teams play an then in the same breath say they'd like to see Hughes as manager.

Granted Hughes doesn't have the dosh to go out and buy the great players to play in the style of Arsenal or United but then again neither does David Moyes at Everton and I'd say they play a better style of football, have a better team than Blackburn and Moyes has done a better job over the last 5 years than Hughes.

I'd prefer Moyes to Hughes to be honest with you. I don't think we should look more favourably on possible candidates just because they've been ex players of ours.

With that thinking, we might never have ended up with Fergie.
I disagree almost entirely with your post. Blackburn look a much more frightening prospect than Everton this season, they will definietly finish above them. Lost one game all year and taken points of Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool. They play with a midfield including Bentley, Pedersen and Dunn, with McCarthy and Santa Cruz up front. Hardly the lumps that the press might like you to believe. Sure, when he took over they liked to press teams and 'kick them off the park', for want of a better phrase, but he was getting the best out of a pretty average bunch of players. Since then he has brought in quality and they are playing much better football.

I probably do have red tinted specs as you say, but having United in his blood isn't exactly a problem when it comes to Hughes, who knows what the club is about and has the right attributes to provide us (the fans) with what we want.

*Oh and Wenger wont come to us, so that is irrelevant.
Closed Thread