United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 02-03-2009, 12:46 PM
wiganste

Default Ronaldo's booking yesterday

£#%&! sake - another case of the ref making a name for himself.

Oddly enough, I'm not convinced it was a penalty but it certainly wasn't a dive. Surely a top class () referee can see this if 80k drunks in the stadium can?

Unread 02-03-2009, 12:52 PM
borsuk

surely it will get rescinded and the ref downgraded. after all, the whole league is biased towards us

Unread 02-03-2009, 12:53 PM
Harri Jaffa

Definitly a dive

He was looking for it and going down before he was touched.

If Stevie me had done we'd be calling for his head and complaining that it never comes up in the press etc etc

Unread 02-03-2009, 12:53 PM
dontdopeas84

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
surely it will get rescinded and the ref downgraded. after all, the whole league is biased towards us
yellows can't be rescinded

Unread 02-03-2009, 12:54 PM
antonin jablonsky

His own fault.

Unread 02-03-2009, 12:55 PM
The Return of JC

The marked difference in his reaction yesterday compared to being booked against Blackburn told the story.

A definite penalty. He was past King. King stood on his foot. I can't see how it isn't a penalty. Dreadful decision. He gets £#%&!ed over far more than he £#%&!s over.

Unread 02-03-2009, 12:56 PM
wiganste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harri Jaffa
Definitly a dive

He was looking for it and going down before he was touched.

If Stevie me had done we'd be calling for his head and complaining that it never comes up in the press etc etc
I agree he was already going down before King caught him but I'm not convinced it was a dive. More like his momentum + stretching for the ball.

Like I said, no penalty but no yellow either. Mind you, all the pundits on the telly were saying penalty...

Unread 02-03-2009, 12:57 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiganste
I agree he was already going down before King caught him but I'm not convinced it was a dive. More like his momentum + stretching for the ball.
Like I said, no penalty but no yellow either. Mind you, all the pundits on the telly were saying penalty...
That's exactly what it was and it was a penalty but he's only got himself to blame for the booking.

Unread 02-03-2009, 12:57 PM
borsuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontdopeas84
yellows can't be rescinded
but we run the league, right? otherwise the dippers would be thirty points clear by now

Unread 02-03-2009, 12:58 PM
Bunker Buster

i have a theory on the Pen/Dive situation yesterday...

Modern football with is Sky slow mos and Replay after replay has changed the way fans and refs view and feel about the game...

If you look straight after the tackle united had actually played on....It was passed out to the edge of the box..

Not one player appealed for the penalty and the ref should have just let the game play on...We are now that reliant on headlines and slow mos.....Back pages zooming in on boots touching socks and Media %@#$&!s that EVERY single Decision is discussed and dissected.

It was basically very poor control for ronaldo as he was speeding across the penalty are (which he can be forgiven for as he was sprinting with the ball)...King made an attempted challenge but was a touch late.

Ronaldo's momentum was such that he fell from the contact.

15 20 years ago it would just have been 'Play on' Nowadays, the ref has to do one of two things.

Give a penalty, or book the alledged diver..

It was nothing more than football....Any person who has played a bit can see this...Play on with the game and let it flow.

No Penalty, No yellow card.

just a theory

Unread 02-03-2009, 12:59 PM
The Return of JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiganste

No penalty? Really?

I'm very surprised.

He was stretching, but got to the ball, nudged it past King and King stood on his foot. Sky even slowed it and magnified the contact, it was quite clear. Penalty all day long, for me. Reminded me of an identical incident at Goodison Park last year. Same outcome too.

Unread 02-03-2009, 01:01 PM
magic_cantona

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Return of JC

He was stretching, but got to the ball, nudged it past King and King stood on his foot. Sky even slowed it and magnified the contact, it was quite clear. Penalty all day long, for me. Reminded me of an identical incident at Goodison Park last year. Same outcome too.

Agree with this, totally.

Unread 02-03-2009, 01:02 PM
armchair

Penalty. What I'd like referees to do is judge fouls, tackles etc based on what actually happens not who is involved. Otherwise it's biased and there shouldn't be bias from a ref.

Unread 02-03-2009, 01:02 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Sky even slowed it and magnified the contact, it was quite clear.
See......!!

Slo Motion replays do not actually give a true indication of the football being played....

watch it in 'Real time'

No pen No yellow.

Play on.

Unread 02-03-2009, 01:04 PM
Tumescent Throb

tbh i thought it was a dive - or he was looking for it anyway

but looking at the video King stood on his foot so you can say it was a penalty

on the other hand if you lengthen your last stride you can make the defender stand on your foot so take your pick whether that's a foul in the professional game

what i don't get is this shit about Ronaldo's reputation. i mean, if Carvalho challenges Ronaldo and Ronaldo goes down then why is Ronaldo's reputation taken into account but not Carvalho's? Look at that £#%&!ing leg-breaker he did on Ronaldo in Moscow the dirty @#%&!. Why aren't refs looking at those bits of video?

Unread 02-03-2009, 01:04 PM
The Return of JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
See......!!

Slo Motion replays do not actually give a true indication of the football being played....
watch it in 'Real time'

No pen No yellow.

Play on.
Well, no, because it's all slowed down. But it shows you the contact (the thing that makes it a penalty). And it's not just a clip, King stands down onto Ronaldo's foot. He's nowhere near the ball that Ronaldo has knocked past him How is that not a penalty?

It's a penalty in real time, slow time, fast time, whichever way you look at it.

Unread 02-03-2009, 01:06 PM
wiganste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
See......!!

watch it in 'Real time'

No pen No yellow.

Play on
I couldn't understand why he stopped the game. We had possession on the edge of their £#%&!ing box. If he wanted to book Ronaldo, wait until there's a break in play ffs.

Unread 02-03-2009, 01:08 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Well, no, because it's all slowed down. But it shows you the contact (the thing that makes it a penalty). And it's not just a clip, King stands down onto Ronaldo's foot. He's nowhere near the ball that Ronaldo has knocked past him How is that not a penalty?

It's a penalty in real time, slow time, fast time, whichever way you look at it.
When the challenge goes in, the ball is already away from Ronaldo.

He had done king with his pace but not with his control.

United actually played on a spread the ball out to the edge of the box...

Miss timed tackle...But could also be classed as a 'coming together of the two players'

Its human nature that two players will collide during the game. It doesn't always Mean their is foul play or a professional foul, ending in a Freekick/Pen.

Unread 02-03-2009, 01:08 PM
Billy Baroo

king went for the ball, missed and got ronnie

its a foul therefore a pen

no argument

its like this stupid idea that if you clean someone out in the box but the ball might b e going out then its not a foul. why? if you go for it and miss taking the player at the same time it doesn't £#%&!ing matter where the ball is. a foul is a foul, there is no @#%&!ing sliding scale because its in the box

more fool you if you give away a 'soft' penalty

Unread 02-03-2009, 01:10 PM
The Return of JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Baroo
king went for the ball, missed and got ronnie

its a foul therefore a pen

no argument

its like this stupid idea that if you clean someone out in the box but the ball might b e going out then its not a foul. why? if you go for it and miss taking the player at the same time it doesn't £#%&!ing matter where the ball is. a foul is a foul, there is no @#%&!ing sliding scale because its in the box

more fool you if you give away a 'soft' penalty
Totally agree.

Ronaldo is on control of that situation, if King goes for the ball, doesn't get it and takes the man (which he definitely does) then it's a penalty. We can over analyse these things. Is Ronaldo looking for it? Doesn't matter. Is Ronaldo's touch heavy? Doesn't matter.
Closed Thread