United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 18-03-2018, 09:09 AM
djsst

Default Ollie Holt goes all in.

Quote:
Abraham Lincoln's Gettysburg Address lasted two minutes. Martin Luther King’s ‘I Have a Dream’ speech lasted 17 minutes. John F Kennedy’s Inauguration Speech lasted 14 minutes. Winston Churchill’s ‘Fight on the Beaches’ speech lasted 34 minutes.

Acclaimed as football’s answer to all of them, Jose Mourinho’s self-serving, self-aggrandising, self-regarding, self-pitying, melodramatic, hard-luck claptrap that passed for his attempt at oratory on Friday afternoon lasted 12 minutes. His only theme was Jose Mourinho. He used his moment on the stage to deliver a homage to himself.

Ask not what Mourinho can do for Manchester United but what Manchester United can do for him. His was a dystopian vision of a great football club as a vehicle for a narcissist. His was a speech that denigrated United so that he could vindicate himself. Some managers subjugate themselves to their clubs. Mourinho asks that the club subjugates itself to him.

So it was 12 minutes of me, me, me. Twelve minutes of excuses for that lame, laboured, dour apology of a performance against Sevilla last Wednesday. Twelve minutes of excuses about why he has been blown away by Pep Guardiola’s Manchester City this season.
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...#ixzz5A5OD7EB4
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Unread 18-03-2018, 09:13 AM
Seamus

Is that the @#%&! with the Alice band? He loses all arguments after that

Unread 18-03-2018, 09:16 AM
no fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus
Is that the @#%&! with the Alice band? He loses all arguments after that
Yes

And his mam is Emily nugent

The @#%&!

Unread 18-03-2018, 09:17 AM
Ethers

“The Pool Supervisor” ffs

Thick @#%&!

Unread 18-03-2018, 09:19 AM
irk

I had no idea he was a private school and oxford swot. Still, even he cant be wrong all the time. Well done ‘Oliver’.

Unread 18-03-2018, 09:28 AM
andyroo

£#%&! me, that was even longer than the speech it was supposed to be taking the piss out of

Ramone summed it up better

Unread 18-03-2018, 09:32 AM
shenwen

Quote:
Acclaimed as football’s answer to all of them
Stopped reading there.

Unread 18-03-2018, 09:41 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsst
United, lest we forget, have reached a Champions League final more recently than him.
Ouch.

Unread 18-03-2018, 09:41 AM
Denis Irwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsst
Abraham Lincoln's Gettysburg Address lasted two minutes. Martin Luther King’s ‘I Have a Dream’ speech lasted 17 minutes. John F Kennedy’s Inauguration Speech lasted 14 minutes. Winston Churchill’s ‘Fight on the Beaches’ speech lasted 34 minutes.

Acclaimed as football’s answer to all of them, Jose Mourinho’s self-serving, self-aggrandising, self-regarding, self-pitying, melodramatic, hard-luck claptrap that passed for his attempt at oratory on Friday afternoon lasted 12 minutes. His only theme was Jose Mourinho. He used his moment on the stage to deliver a homage to himself.

Ask not what Mourinho can do for Manchester United but what Manchester United can do for him. His was a dystopian vision of a great football club as a vehicle for a narcissist. His was a speech that denigrated United so that he could vindicate himself. Some managers subjugate themselves to their clubs. Mourinho asks that the club subjugates itself to him.

So it was 12 minutes of me, me, me. Twelve minutes of excuses for that lame, laboured, dour apology of a performance against Sevilla last Wednesday. Twelve minutes of excuses about why he has been blown away by Pep Guardiola’s Manchester City this season.

A great speech? Please. Mark Antony’s funeral oration in Julius Caesar was a great speech. ‘Friends, Glazers, countrymen, lend me your cash,’ does not have quite the same ring to it.

Twelve minutes that vindicated the worst fears of those within the United hierarchy and fan base who had not wanted Mourinho in the first place. Twelve minutes that put the Kong-sized ego of the man in the spotlight and exposed his bitterness and his delusions in all their towering majesty.

Twelve minutes in which he droned on and on about the heritage of England’s most famous club and reduced it, conveniently and shamelessly, to six years in the desert following its loss to Barcelona in the 2011 final. In his self-obsession, he could not see the disrespect to the club in that.

Mourinho talked about United as though they were minnows. He talked as if the fans of the club that has a claim to call itself the biggest in the world had no right to think that the £300million he has spent over the last two years might earn it a place in the conversation when the Champions League reaches its latter stages.

He talked, too, as if this has always been United’s fate. That is what really grates. It suits his narrative to portray United as a plucky little club that is lucky to have him and which only has a chance of rising above its natural place amid the poor men of Europe if he works his magic. It would be funny if it were not so pathetic.

United, lest we forget, have reached a Champions League final more recently than him. So when he talked about Real Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern Munich and Juventus as being the teams that always reach the quarter-finals, it is worth remembering that, from 1997 to 2011, United made the quarters or better 12 times in 15 seasons. They won it twice. They made the final twice more.

United’s heritage is built on European success. United were European pioneers. Their triumph at Wembley in 1968, 10 years after the Munich air disaster, with Sir Matt Busby back at the helm, is probably the greatest, most emotional story in the history of English football. That is United’s European heritage.

Then there was the Treble of 1999 and that impossibly dramatic victory in the Champions League final in Barcelona to cap the greatest season any English football club has ever had. There was another triumph in 2008 in the all-English final with Chelsea in Moscow. Mourinho’s idea that United are European impostors is shameful artifice.

So forget the 12 minutes as some feat of oratory. As speeches go it was a cross between Jack Nicholson urging Wendy to stop swinging the bat in The Shining and Steve Coogan listing the years no one died in The Pool Supervisor. It was an attempt to burnish a reputation that has lost its lustre.

It was also the moment when Mourinho turned into someone fans poke fun at. His achievements have made him immune to that before. Love him or hate him, his record has always spoken the loudest. But this was downright funny. If it was reminiscent of any speech at all, it was the ‘Fact’ rant of Rafa Benitez, so widely mocked by United fans.

Mourinho was a great manager once and he may well be again but, right now, Guardiola in particular is making him look like a dinosaur, someone struggling to have any say in the present. Guardiola’s success and the joy it is bringing to those who love creative, passing football, is eating Mourinho up.

In his self-absorption, what Mourinho seemed unable to grasp in his 12-minute rant was that he has not been brought to Manchester to continue the recent record of mediocrity in Europe, a subject upon which he has become such a diligent student. The Glazer Family have given him nearly £300m to change that record, not to perpetuate it.

Instead, what he delivered was a team who lost meekly and miserably in the second round to a Sevilla side fifth in La Liga. His recruitment has been uneven at best. Of Paul Pogba, Romelu Lukaku, Henrikh Mkhitaryan, Victor Lindelof, Eric Bailly, Nemanja Matic and Zlatan Ibrahimovic, only Matic has been an unqualified success. When it comes to rebuilding United’s defence, he must start again.

In the darkest hour after the Sevilla defeat, Mourinho claimed such defeats were not ‘anything new’ for the club. It allowed him to drop in the fact that he, himself, the great Mourinho, had humbled United at their home, both with Porto and Real Madrid.

In some ways, nothing has changed. Mourinho’s still humbling United. It is just that, this time, he is doing it from the inside.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...#ixzz5A5OD7EB4
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
nrat shite

Gtf

Unread 18-03-2018, 10:28 AM
Sapien

Spot on tbf

Unread 18-03-2018, 10:33 AM
Denis Irwell

Ollie Holt reds

Gettysburg reds

Unread 18-03-2018, 10:40 AM
Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by no fun
Yes

The @#%&!
How peculiar.

Unread 18-03-2018, 10:41 AM
guerreiro

Why do all the media hate him now, they bloody loved him when he was at Chelsea. It must be something more than just being at Utd

Unread 18-03-2018, 10:58 AM
sub three hours

Quote:
Originally Posted by no fun
Yes

The @#%&!

Emily Bishop, FFS

I googled it to check you weren't on a wind up.

Unread 18-03-2018, 10:59 AM
andyroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by guerreiro
Why do all the media hate him now, they bloody loved him when he was at Chelsea. It must be something more than just being at Utd
Just time. He was new then, now he's just a stale lingering fart.

Unread 18-03-2018, 11:05 AM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by guerreiro
It’s what they do.

Surprised to see saville are fifth in Spain. The way people were talking I assumed they were mid table or worse.

Unread 18-03-2018, 11:30 AM
Sandman

The brutal truth.

Unread 18-03-2018, 11:56 AM
ryanMUFC

He kind of has a point. We've made won it and made it to 2 European finals whilst Mourinho has been a manager. I think Jose was talking about our time in Europe post-Ferguson but still referred to the times that he's knocked us out..he's a bit smug like that isn't he.

I'm sure that almost anyone would say some stupid or inaccurate shit if being grilled by the media is part and parcel of their job. His and the teams actions are more important than any words that are said in a press conference believe it or not.

Unread 18-03-2018, 11:57 AM
sa7

He’s a little £#%&!er but unfortunately he’s right.

Edit: Holt not Mourinho. Mourinho is an incorrect little £#%&!er.

Unread 18-03-2018, 12:02 PM
Sparky***

Isn’t Holt the leader of the Guardiola joy boys club?
Closed Thread