United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 12-04-2010, 11:28 AM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy Dunlop
Shame if we had to lose Vidic. He's currently much more useful than Rio Ferdinand and will be from now on.
ferdinand really is worrying. He breaks down every other week now with a new injury.

Unread 12-04-2010, 11:32 AM
Gorilla Monsoon

This new transfer policy of ours just leaves us in danger of being left behind by the big boys with the billions.

Don't buy players over 28, and won't pay inflated fees for young players, which pretty much limits us to players that our scouts spot, like this chicarita guy. Any young player with a hint of potential will have an inflated transfer fee, because clubs know that Chelsea/City/Madrid/Barcelona will pay it.

So i guess we're going to just have to get used to Fergie buying unknowns or bargains from now on. I'm not usually very doomlordy but admittedly this post does sound that way. I'd love to be proved wrong with a 60m double swoop of Villa and Silva in the summer, with Ferguson stood in between both them, giving the V's to the camera.

Unread 12-04-2010, 11:33 AM
safingtons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
ferdinand really is worrying. He breaks down every other week now with a new injury.

Really? Thought this was his longest run for a while and he was playing well to boot.

But we cannot afford to sell Vidic, we'd be complete loons. Evans is talented but young, Smalling is a young player too(love how everyones written him off ).

Rio and Vidic are special special players, theyve been immense for us since 2006 as a partnership, with barely any midfield protection.

Unread 12-04-2010, 11:37 AM
les vagas

apparently we had a bid of £28m accepted for milner by aston villa but o'neil said he'd resign if he went and also milner said he never wants to sign for united, from a very reliable source
that was why all the stuff about o'neil resigning a couple of weeks back

Unread 12-04-2010, 11:40 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by les vagas
apparently we had a bid of £28m accepted for milner by aston villa but o'neil said he'd resign if he went and also milner said he never wants to sign for united, from a very reliable source
for Milner

Unread 12-04-2010, 11:43 AM
The Watcher

Quote:
milner said he never wants to sign for United
Thank £#%&!

Unread 12-04-2010, 11:47 AM
safingtons

Quote:
£#%&!ing hell, talk about getting off the hook.

I'd honestly kill myself if we signed Milner for over £15m let alone £28m.

It's just typical United, I don't expect anything but overprices English players in the summer, protracted transfer stories about Rodwell and Milner.

Rodwell looks a good talent but hes still only a teenager and Milner is nothing special in all honesty. So it would be £40m + on two players we could have got for a combined £20m 18 months ago, VALUE eh.

Unread 12-04-2010, 11:47 AM
MUFC One Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
for Milner

Ffs, £28m for Milner.

As if United could afford that for Milner, they couldn't afford that for a top player.

Unread 12-04-2010, 11:48 AM
MUFC One Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by safingtons
£#%&!ing hell, talk about getting off the hook.

I'd honestly kill myself if we signed Milner for over £15m let alone £28m.

It's just typical United, I don't expect anything but overprices English players in the summer, protracted transfer stories about Rodwell and Milner.

Rodwell looks a good talent but hes still only a teenager and Milner is nothing special in all honesty. So it would be £40m + on two players we could have got for a combined £20m 18 months ago, VALUE eh.
Mate, let it go, we won't be making any big signings. Just relax and enjoy your summer.

Unread 12-04-2010, 11:59 AM
Liu Jian

Quote:
Hahaha even Ginners doesn't think he's worth that.

Unread 12-04-2010, 11:59 AM
borsuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla Monsoon
This new transfer policy of ours just leaves us in danger of being left behind by the big boys with the billions.

Don't buy players over 28, and won't pay inflated fees for young players, which pretty much limits us to players that our scouts spot, like this chicarita guy. Any young player with a hint of potential will have an inflated transfer fee, because clubs know that Chelsea/City/Madrid/Barcelona will pay it.

So i guess we're going to just have to get used to Fergie buying unknowns or bargains from now on. I'm not usually very doomlordy but admittedly this post does sound that way. I'd love to be proved wrong with a 60m double swoop of Villa and Silva in the summer, with Ferguson stood in between both them, giving the V's to the camera.
i'd far rather buy youngish players and develop them, letting them learn the club's history and traditions. it's the way we've always done it tbh. of course, i'd rather not buy anybody and have youth products. set up right, there is no reason we can't bring through a stream of young players in the way barca have. it's worth remembering that rene's work with the academy will only just now start bearing fruit, as the first players schooled with his system and syllabuses start to come through. buying a 28 year-old who will always be identified as another club's player and who, if we're honest, will almost certainly never have the club in his blood - that's a kind of failure in my eyes.

am i the only one who really doesn't want £30m+ signings? there are exceptions, of course - rooney, rio - but our biggest successes haven't been huge buys, generally speaking. i get far more satisfaction seeing a fletcher come through than i would if we'd bought, say, kolo toure or javier mascherano for £15m or something.

Unread 12-04-2010, 12:00 PM
borsuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by safingtons
I'd honestly kill myself if we signed English players in the summer.
we know

Unread 12-04-2010, 12:05 PM
Liu Jian

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
i'd far rather buy youngish players and develop them, letting them learn the club's history and traditions. it's the way we've always done it tbh. of course, i'd rather not buy anybody and have youth products. set up right, there is no reason we can't bring through a stream of young players in the way barca have. it's worth remembering that rene's work with the academy will only just now start bearing fruit, as the first players schooled with his system and syllabuses start to come through. buying a 28 year-old who will always be identified as another club's player and who, if we're honest, will almost certainly never have the club in his blood - that's a kind of failure in my eyes.

am i the only one who really doesn't want £30m+ signings? there are exceptions, of course - rooney, rio - but our biggest successes haven't been huge buys, generally speaking. i get far more satisfaction seeing a fletcher come through than i would if we'd bought, say, kolo toure or javier mascherano for £15m or something.
Idealism personified. Barca are having a good run, but where were there homegrown players 6-7 years ago?

First-team players coming through the Academy are the exception, not the norm. The majority are developed and then flogged for £2m-£4m.

Unread 12-04-2010, 04:16 PM
Grimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
set up right, there is no reason we can't bring through a stream of young players in the way barca have.
I think part of the difficulty there lies in how these kids are taught the game prior to being snapped up by United. Too many 8-year-olds playing 11 aside football on full sized pitches, not getting enough touches, not being forced to play in tight spaces under pressure.

To be fair to Trevor Brooking, he's been banging on about this for a decade, but it's an entrenched system in too many places.

Unread 12-04-2010, 04:18 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liu Jian
Idealism personified.

Unread 12-04-2010, 04:35 PM
hopkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimson
Too many 8-year-olds playing 11 aside football on full sized pitches, not getting enough touches, not being forced to play in tight spaces under pressure.

To be fair to Trevor Brooking, he's been banging on about this for a decade, but it's an entrenched system in too many places.
Hoooooooooooof

I don't know what these kids make of the Europeans who don't need 2 touches to get the ball under control, or can glide past midfielders effortlessly with a turn or drop of the shoulder

Scholes was a freak of nature

Unread 12-04-2010, 04:40 PM
wee man

Quote:
Originally Posted by redloner
There's a £75m overdraft facility. They can spend what they want. It won't mean there's money in the bank.

What's more important is the transfer policy. We now only buy big at a young age so we can sell on before the player is over the hill.

That controls who we buy and who we sell surely?

So who's for the door while they are still worth something?
But generally that has always been the policy. It is only the odd player - Sheringham and Berbatov that has been signed with no resale value - am sure there are a few others. But even going back to the summer when Pally, Charlie, Danny Wallace came in. Doubled our money on Charlie I think - and his best years were behind him as it proved. Good money back on Ruud - even decent money back on Veron and then of course Ronaldo. Lee Sharpe - £50k his best years and sold for £4.5m ffs

Just having a look on that Transfer League website http://transferleague.co.uk/

Average spend in the Premiership years of £8m a season and in the last 5 years of £5m a season. That is Fergie's genius - signing good young players, developing them and knowing when it is best to move them on - and getting good money.

Glazers out certainly and some surgery is needed to the team particularly with the end of the careers of Neville, Scholes and Giggs in sight. But don't blame the Glazers for the lack of a marquee signing (26/27 year old player at the height of his career). Has never really been the case.

Generally.

Unread 12-04-2010, 04:42 PM
magic_cantona

Thumbs up

Milner

£28m

Unread 12-04-2010, 04:57 PM
hopkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_cantona
Milner

£28m

Always add £10m to any true value when we're involved

Unread 12-04-2010, 05:31 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimson
I think part of the difficulty there lies in how these kids are taught the game prior to being snapped up by United. Too many 8-year-olds playing 11 aside football on full sized pitches, not getting enough touches, not being forced to play in tight spaces under pressure.

Fantastic point. The way we have taught kids to play football in this country for decades is so counter productive nowadays.
Closed Thread