Unread 18-08-2009, 09:20 AM
thatsfuctit

Default Why United must spend

from the Times

agree?

Unread 18-08-2009, 09:25 AM
koppas

Yes.

We could win the PL but the European Cup? Not a £#%&!ing chance.

Unread 18-08-2009, 09:26 AM
BryanRobson'sLiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsfuctit
Drivel and poorly argued drivel at that.

Unread 18-08-2009, 09:31 AM
carlosartorial

'Idiots in balaclavas'.

Lad in the comments section sets him straight.

Unread 18-08-2009, 09:40 AM
In 76 now this is true

I wouldnt rule out a late signing and lot of that will be down to how Scholes and Nani play over the next couple of games.
The other key factor is the return of Hargreaves, more so for the 2nd half of the season, with the key games after January.

The question is, who would you bring in?
There is no name that instantly stands out.
Silva is not a bad option, but again he is one of these players who has to play in a specific role or formation. He could do a Scholes type job, tucking in behind the 2 strikers, but we would still lack that Keane type centre mid to do the tidying up.
Palacios would have been a decent cheap buy, as well as Diarra who left Portsmouth for Madrid. Both players who could offer that Hargreaves type role.

There is also a worry over the number of niggles Ferdinand keeps picking up.

Douglas Costa is linked strongly with a move in Jan, but the lads not near first team ready.

Apart from City and Madrid, the markets been very quiet this summer. I expect a last minute panic buying/selling come the last two days of August.
If Valencias financial situation is to be believed, then they really need to sell one of their star players.

The Champions league relies a lot on luck as well as having a great team.
The league is a different matter.

Unread 18-08-2009, 09:42 AM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by In 76 now this is true
I wouldnt rule out a late signing and lot of that will be down to how Scholes and Nani play over the next couple of games.
The other key factor is the return of Hargreaves, more so for the 2nd half of the season, with the key games after January.

The question is, who would you bring in?
There is no name that instantly stands out.
Silva is not a bad option, but again he is one of these players who has to play in a specific role or formation. He could do a Scholes type job, tucking in behind the 2 strikers, but we would still lack that Keane type centre mid to do the tidying up.
Palacios would have been a decent cheap buy, as well as Diarra who left Portsmouth for Madrid. Both players who could offer that Hargreaves type role.

There is also a worry over the number of niggles Ferdinand keeps picking up.

Douglas Costa is linked strongly with a move in Jan, but the lads not near first team ready.

Apart from City and Madrid, the markets been very quiet this summer. I expect a last minute panic buying/selling come the last two days of August.
If Valencias financial situation is to be believed, then they really need to sell one of their star players.

The Champions league relies a lot on luck as well as having a great team.
The league is a different matter.
was there nothing in the bins today?

Unread 18-08-2009, 09:43 AM
Harri Jaffa

There are some decent points in the article but its mainly tosh

Unread 18-08-2009, 09:44 AM
BryanRobson'sLiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
was there nothing in the bins today?

Unread 18-08-2009, 11:46 AM
fix up look SHARPE

the market is £#%&!ed up this summer, there is no value for money and there is nobody who stands out as someone we must get at all costs.
we don't desperately need to strengthen any position, the squad is big enough.
i'd rather we show some faith in the players we've got and reassess the situation next summer.
there is work to be done in the long run, personally i'd like us to go back to spurs for luka modric.

Unread 18-08-2009, 12:24 PM
MUFC One Love

I have said this before about this summer, imo the club knew they could get away with no buying anyone big this summer because of the success we have had the last few years, they knew they could get away with selling Ronaldo and not buying a top class player because if worse came to worse and we don't do well this season the club can talk shit about how they wanted to give the kids a chance etc, as long as the club finish 4th this season they can get away with it. It won't be until next summer if we don't do well this season a lot of fans will show their feelings about the club not signing a top class player after selling Ronaldo.

We have no money and the club have used our success over the last few years to pay some money from the Ronaldo money to pay some debt etc.

Unread 18-08-2009, 12:59 PM
Whalefish

It's hardly talking shit if Utd do give the kids a chance. I look forward to it, what this club is about.

Benzema apart I'm struggling to think of a player available for the right money. A player that Utd should have gone out and signed. There's a few good players about but Ribery for £50million or more? Aguero, £50million? Were these ever likely with such inflated fees?

Some folk comment about the debt as if it's an aside. It isn't. It's very £#%&!ing real. Chuck in the economic climate at the moment, £60million left in the bank or not, I'm still a little surprised that folk are getting angry about the lack of a big name signing or two.

Personally I'm looking forward to the kids getting a run in the side. Now is as good a time as any to give them a few seasons and see if they're good enough. I expect the season to be up and down, but I also think we'll be pleasantly surprised come the end whether the club lift a trophy or not.

Unread 18-08-2009, 01:03 PM
antonin jablonsky

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalefish
It's hardly talking shit if Utd do give the kids a chance. I look forward to it, what this club is about.

Benzema apart I'm struggling to think of a player available for the right money. A player that Utd should have gone out and signed. There's a few good players about but Ribery for £50million or more? Aguero, £50million? Were these ever likely with such inflated fees?

Some folk comment about the debt as if it's an aside. It isn't. It's very £#%&!ing real. Chuck in the economic climate at the moment, £60million left in the bank or not, I'm still a little surprised that folk are getting angry about the lack of a big name signing or two.

Personally I'm looking forward to the kids getting a run in the side. Now is as good a time as any to give them a few seasons and see if they're good enough. I expect the season to be up and down, but I also think we'll be pleasantly surprised come the end whether the club lift a trophy or not.
Top posting Whalers.

Unread 18-08-2009, 01:05 PM
dodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonin jablonsky
I could mention our current captain but I won't.
That reminds me how strange it is to strange to see him with armband. Mind you, he's quietly climbing the list of United appearences, ahead of some "legends" already.

Unread 18-08-2009, 01:06 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger
That reminds me how strange it is to strange to see him with armband. Mind you, he's quietly climbing the list of United appearences, ahead of some "legends" already.
Gotta be fair to him, thought he lead the team very well on Sunday.

Unread 18-08-2009, 01:09 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanRobson'sLiver
Drivel and poorly argued drivel at that.
As opposed to well-argued drivel.

Unread 18-08-2009, 01:12 PM
dodger

Quote:

Agreed, good shout. It's what I meant with my slightly tongue in cheek Ljalic comment.
I love the way opposing fans think it's pisstake fodder. I had some Newcastle idiot having a pop the other day . £#%&!ing beggars belief.

Unread 18-08-2009, 01:13 PM
dodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonin jablonsky
Gotta be fair to him, thought he lead the team very well on Sunday.
He's played pretty well for nearly a year. This will do his confidence wonders too.

Unread 18-08-2009, 01:21 PM
marlo

Quote:
Is he going to achieve that, truly, from being reliant on a partnership of Darren Fletcher and Michael Carrick? From trusting Nani and Antonio Valencia on the wings and from hoping that Ryan Giggs and Paul Scholes can continue to turn back time?
heeeeeeellllllllllllllllllllllllll nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Unread 18-08-2009, 01:29 PM
celtbion

Quote:

There is a lot to be said for banking the cash. Some very good young players (more arriving). The loss of Ronaldo is considerable but United didn't look too bad going forward. If anything, I think the shape of the team will be better and we'll see a better spread of goals.

Tevez isn't even a loss. More than compensated by Owen's arrival.

Unread 18-08-2009, 02:47 PM
S/Side.Red

Thumbs up

Quote:

Well said. I would have liked another midfielder, but unfortunately, the right players simply aren't available at the right price and Fergie won't panic buy for the sake of it. We probably have a weaker squad overall right now than we did 12 months ago, but if the young players develop like we hope and expect them to do so, we may well be stronger by the end of the season. I'm expecting Macheda to be a huge bonus to the attack this season. He's well ahead of schedule, largely down to the fact that he's already physically developed to a good standard. When Welbeck builds up the muscle in his legs he'll be some player, also. Like you, I'm really looking forward to seeing these lads develop, rather than worrying about us not panic buying some second-rate player just for the sake of it.
Closed Thread