United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 12-08-2009, 02:31 PM
Darth Vidic

Quote:
That season is one of Fergies' greatest achievements, a smallish squad, playing great football came very close to repeating the treble, Ronaldo and Rooney becoming the leaders of the team, the last great season from Scholes, Giggs was also fantastic that year.
07/08??!

Anyway, how many goals did we score that were contenders for goals of the season that year? Off top of my head;

- Ronaldo freekick against Portsmouth
- Scholes volley against Villa
- Ronaldo last minute winner Fulham
- Rooney & Ronaldo one two against Bolton
- Carrick #1 Roma
- Carrick #2 Roma
- Alan Smith Roma (one touch passes from half way line)
- Rooney 1st leg Milan (Scholes lifted ball over the top)
- Rooney lob against Watford (little chipped assist from Ronaldo over the top)

Probably some I'm missing as well

Unread 12-08-2009, 03:14 PM
Aloe Blacc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
That season was the biggest "£#%&! you" ever to all our doubters.

"oh they've only bought michael carrick hahahaha"

"ronaldo and rooney hate each other now"

"boooo ronaldo boooo"

"chelsea have bought ballack and shevchenko, they're going to piss this league now"

FAIL.
Selling Ruud too. "where will all the goals come from" was the legendary quote I believe.

This season will be even bigger after losing Ronaldo and 'Tevez' (not really a loss imo.

Just a shame the scouse filth didnt keep Alonso, as they will use that as an excuse. Imo even with him they wouldn't have come close. They only ever played well when 8 pts+ behind and playing with nil pressure.

And im glad Chelsea kept Terry, hes very overrated and him staying has lulled them into a false overconfidence about keeping all their players. They would have been better off selling him for 40m, using Carvalho - Alex.

Also, 4 league titles in a row and number 19 to become the undisputed most successful club in english football history. ever..

Unread 12-08-2009, 03:27 PM
Stickman

Thumbs up

I was also at the Bolton game at OT that season and my seat is level with the edge of the box (scoreboard end) in NT2. Rooneys goal to make it 2-0 in that game where he and Ronnie broke from the Bolton corner is the most breathtaking goal ive ever witnessed inside the stadium, and youd have thought we were playing the scousers by the decibels of the cheers when the ball crossed the line.

Electric! Couldnt wait for MOTD that night

Unread 12-08-2009, 05:40 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Vidic
07/08??!
I thought Scholes was pretty average that year really, the winner against Barca was a highlight but he struggled badly in a lot of games, and Utd usually looked a more solid unit with him out of the side.

06/07 he came back from the eye problems and had an excellent season, surprised a lot of people, he and Carrick worked very well, gave Utd superb control of the ball in midfield.

Last year his contribution was negligible, had the one outstanding performance against Fulham but very little else. Would not expect to see that much of him in the coming season, especially in the bigger games.

Unread 12-08-2009, 11:29 PM
dunk

I downloaded the Season Review and am watching it now.

That Ronaldo from that season was £#%&!ing unbelievable. Can we have him back?

Unread 12-08-2009, 11:35 PM
magic_cantona

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
I downloaded the Season Review and am watching it now.

That Ronaldo from that season was £#%&!ing unbelievable. Can we have him back?
Linkingtons?

Unread 12-08-2009, 11:42 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dueling Banjos
I can't say I'm not hurt.
I credited you.

Unread 12-08-2009, 11:47 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_cantona
Nice one dunkers.

Your shit stinks, but you're a diamond of a lad.
You're not wrong

The last season of G.Nev

Unread 12-08-2009, 11:49 PM
Dueling Banjos

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
I credited you.
Oh I saw that mate, it was the sheep worrier I was getting at.

Unread 12-08-2009, 11:53 PM
dunk

Ronado, Sheffield United away rofl

Unread 13-08-2009, 12:53 PM
Darth Vidic

Quote:
I thought Scholes was pretty average that year really, the winner against Barca was a highlight but he struggled badly in a lot of games, and Utd usually looked a more solid unit with him out of the side.
Agree to disagree, I thought he was a key player for us that year.

Speaking of Scholes, how about Ronaldo's assist for his goal against Spurs? Breathtaking burst of speed that left his defender for dead and ball fizzed in, brilliant.

Unread 13-08-2009, 12:55 PM
History

Am i the only one who thought giggs was outstanding that year? I mean he was awesome tbf. Scholes and Ronaldo are the two who people pick out and rightly so. He played better in that season than he did last imo.

Unread 13-08-2009, 12:59 PM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by History
Am i the only one who thought giggs was outstanding that year? I mean he was awesome tbf. Scholes and Ronaldo are the two who people pick out and rightly so. He played better in that season than he did last imo.
No - he was shortlisted for player of the year.

Unread 13-08-2009, 01:03 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by History
Ryan Giggs has been fantastic just about every season he has played. It's amazing how many of our goals stem from him. What is he now, 35? we've played 1 game, scored 2 goals and he has an assist already.

It is hard to think of a season when he hasn't been one of our top 2-3 players.

He is truly a phenomenon, and in 06-07 he was more amazing than usual.

Just imagine if his final ball was more consistent
Closed Thread