United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 11-12-2017, 08:40 AM
AK14

We were linked with some bloke from Atletico not so long ago

Trouble is I can imagine Woodward thinking of himself as a modern day director of football and not wanting anyone with any sort of football knowledge in because it'll show him up.

Unread 11-12-2017, 09:18 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
I have no doubt you’re right that it was a shambles; it’s pretty apparent the club had literally no idea what to do when Fergie retired, but when you mention this network as though it would represent some sort of constant footballing philosophical theme outside of managerial tenures, I’m curious how you think that would work. For example would they have control over signing players? Would they just be recommeding players? Who would they be, and what would qualify them? Would any prospective manager be compelled to accept their proposals or could they theoretically be redundant?

There’s no point in this notion constantly being floated to supplement criticism of our shoddy planning unless you can nail down exactly what it is and exactly what it would mean. I think it’s unworkable. I’m not sure which other clubs use it apart from you citing some that are “abroad”, but who, where and how does it work? I’m all for a robust scouting network, but how could it exist in anything other than an advisory capacity? Would the Guardiola’s, Mourinho’s and Ferguson’s of this world ever accept a situation where they are not in total control over who is recruited into their team? I doubt it, and with their jobs on the line could you blame them?

As for long term planning, surely you expect your hiring of a Mourinho to work. How can you possibly know a) if it will fail, b) when it will fail, c) who will be available to then take over when you are in the market and d) what their personal philosophy on management and recruitment is? So what planning are you talking about?
No I’m not linking the network to a philosophical theme. That’s a separate argument and one we have probably exhausted. I’m really just saying there has been the impression that the network doesn’t even exist. Managers should have a working relationship with people inside the club when it comes to recruiting players. That’s always been the way it is. At United it’s seemed down to the manager to come up with everything.

That bizarre period ten years ago when we signed a raft of hopeless nobodies like Manucho, Diouf, Obertan, Foster, De Laet, Buttner, Lindegaard etc was a warning sign. God knows what Fergies brother was up to in his latter years.

Unread 11-12-2017, 09:21 PM
andyroo

Bebe ffs

Unread 11-12-2017, 09:24 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo
Bebe ffs
That was clearly bent tbf

Unread 11-12-2017, 09:27 PM
andyroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
That was clearly bent tbf
Least said soonest Mendes

Unread 11-12-2017, 09:47 PM
utd99

TBR was asked to clarify, so he hasn’t posted since the OP.

Unread 11-12-2017, 09:57 PM
sa7

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
God knows what Fergies brother was up to in his latter years.
Doing what lots of people do when coming towards retirement. Making sure he had enough money put away to live comfortably

Unread 11-12-2017, 10:13 PM
Switching Off

Writing off a 23 year old striker after 22 games (in which he's scored 13 times)

Unread 11-12-2017, 10:25 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switching Off
Writing off a 23 year old striker after 22 games (in which he's scored 13 times)
Agree he shouldn’t be written off, but he’s not exactly helping himself is he?

Unread 12-12-2017, 12:12 AM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
TBR was asked to clarify, so he hasn’t posted since the OP.
The thread title is wonderfully ambiguous, for sure.

Unread 12-12-2017, 01:25 PM
TheFatGoth

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Boy Ronaldo!
During David Moyes summer of disaster he made a daft decision late on and bought Fellaini. A player who had never shown the required quality to play for Manchester United.

This Summer, after a summer of promise Jose Mourinho has done it again with a purchase of a player who has never shown the required skill level, attitude and quality in a player from the same club.

At what point is someone at the club going to admit a director of football is needed to oversee club transfers and wherever they fit with the required profile of a United player? Because the money pissed away the last few years could’ve been avoided. We’ve a squad full of shite, with the wrong mentality and attitude and can’t keep making the same mistakes.
http://www.utdforum.com/forum/showpo...6&postcount=30

Unread 12-12-2017, 01:26 PM
dragflick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFatGoth

Unread 12-12-2017, 01:29 PM
Ranier Wolfcastle

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFatGoth

Unread 12-12-2017, 01:32 PM
andyroo

Quote: