Closed Thread

Unread 04-03-2010, 12:05 PM
teflon_terry

Default Cole on Sheringham

Titanic me if you like but couldn't see it anywhere:

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/f...d-1915658.html

All a bit pathetic really....

Quote:
Some of you will know the background to that, but perhaps not the full details. Others might be surprised our rift had such apparently mundane roots. But here's what happened.
It was early 1995, I had recently signed for Manchester United, and it was my England debut, against Uruguay. I was a sub. I came on for Sheringham (then at Spurs), after about 70 minutes. You'll need to understand what was in my head at that moment to get even close to comprehending my reaction to what happened next.
I was so nervous it was frightening. This was the culmination of a lifetime of ambition. You hear the cliché, "It means everything to play for my country". But trust me, it did. Not just for me, but for my family, my parents especially, who had endured all kinds of hardships to give us the chances we had. Becoming a pro had been incredible. Now the magnitude of playing for England was indescribable. The moment has arrived.
I walk on to the pitch, 60,000 or so watching. Sheringham is coming off. I expect a brief handshake, a "Good luck, Coley", something. I am ready to shake. He snubs me. He actively snubs me, for no reason I was ever aware of then or since. He walks off. I don't even know the bloke so he can't have any issue with me. We're fellow England players, it is my debut and he snubs me.
You know what my immediate thoughts were? "Jesus Christ! How many people just saw Teddy Sheringham do that to me?" I was embarrassed. I was confused. And there you have it. From that moment on, I knew Sheringham was not for me.
Two years later, in summer 1997, after Eric Cantona left United, Sheringham arrived. We played together for years. We scored a lot of goals. I never spoke a single word to him.
People wonder how on earth we could function like that. Gary Pallister once said to me: "I know you don't speak to Teddy and he doesn't speak to you, but at least you play well together." We did, and I wouldn't ever cast aspersions on Sheringham's talent as a top-rate footballer for his clubs and country. I've just loathed him personally for 15 years.

Unread 04-03-2010, 12:06 PM
elephantstone

why the £#%&! is he still harping on about it 15 years later ffs

get over it, he didnt like you full £#%&!ing stop

Unread 04-03-2010, 12:07 PM
Sullingtons

Teddy the racist eh?

Unread 04-03-2010, 12:07 PM
Sloane

cole seems bit of a dick, he was when i met him

Unread 04-03-2010, 12:08 PM
Ginners

bit of a stupid thing to hold a grudge over. coley all day for me though, top striker

Sparky***

Cole is very highly strung tbh. I'm sure we've all heard that Sheringham was a bit of an arrogant tit as well, so that probably didn't help.

Jack Duckworth

he's got a massive branch of harry ramsden's on his shoulder has coley.

anyway, i thought he said it was down to conceding a goal to bolton at OT when cole thought teddy should've done more?

pathetic to still hold a grudge after 15 years, let alone keep harping on about it in a national newspaper.

Unread 04-03-2010, 12:09 PM
carlosartorial

It's like the no fun/Paul Weller thing all over again.

BarryX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloane
cole seems bit of a dick, he was when i met him
he was very pleasent to me when I shared a lift with him. he just nodded politely in my direction, but I just frooze and didn't really acknowledge the gesture. we have never spoke since

True story, btw.

Ethers

What a complete fanny.

MUFC One Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sullingtons
Teddy the racist eh?
Agreed, should be banned imo.

Unread 04-03-2010, 12:10 PM
Sullingtons

Only one way to settle this....

UFW.

Do they post on here?

Unread 04-03-2010, 12:10 PM
thatsfuctit

pathetic

I am sure we've all worked with some right @#%&!s, pretty hard not to speak to someone at all for years.

Unread 04-03-2010, 12:11 PM
Sullingtons

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsfuctit
pathetic

I am sure we've all worked with some right @#%&!s, pretty hard not to speak to someone at all for years.
this message is hidden

Unread 04-03-2010, 12:12 PM
MUFC One Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sullingtons
Only one way to settle this....

UFW.

Do they post on here?
I have it on good authority Sheringham posts on here, as "rafabio".

dodger

I went to that England Uruguay game funnily enough. if Coley thinks there was 60,000 there then he was a blinded by the occasion. Lucky if there was 25,000 and most of them were kids on freebies.

Hardly someting worth a lifelong grudge is it? Loads of players don't exchange words as they come off. £#%&! me, what a puff.

Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Duckworth
he's got a massive branch of harry ramsden's on his shoulder has coley.
He's got a fish on his shoulder?

Unread 04-03-2010, 12:13 PM
antonin jablonsky

I really like Andrew Cole. Top player.

Unread 04-03-2010, 12:13 PM
Sullingtons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
He's got a fish on his shoulder?
No - a fish and chip shop apparently.

Unread 04-03-2010, 12:14 PM
florentino ariza