United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 02-03-2010, 12:57 PM
PaulParkers

Question If you were a United player

and you were £#%&!ing good. I mean Scholesy/Giggsy good. Would you be particularly interested in international football?

Seriously? Don't just come back with the sterotypical United fan "I'd tell Ingerluund to £#%&! off" type response just for the sake of it.

Personally, I would play if called up but I would make it clear to everyone that international football was secondary to my club duties everytime. I feel this would effectively end my international career as I would be torn to shreds by the press.

Unread 02-03-2010, 12:58 PM
koppas

Default Re: If you were a United player

If I was Irish/Welsh then no as whats the point?

English, which I am, yes of course.

Unread 02-03-2010, 12:59 PM
El Chalten

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulParkersPubes
and you were £#%&!ing good. I mean Scholesy/Giggsy good. Would you be particularly interested in international football?

Seriously? Don't just come back with the sterotypical United fan "I'd tell Ingerluund to £#%&! off" type response just for the sake of it.

Personally, I would play if called up but I would make it clear to everyone that international football was secondary to my club duties everytime. I feel this would effectively end my international career as I would be torn to shreds by the press.
i'd play but i'd make it clear to said manager that i don't do friendlies.

nft.

Unread 02-03-2010, 12:59 PM
PaulParkers

Quote:
Originally Posted by koppas
If I was Irish/Welsh then no as whats the point?

English, which I am, yes of course.
I thought you were a kebab muncher?

Would you be arsed with it though? I mean giving it all the 'proud to wear the shirt' %@#$&!s?

Unread 02-03-2010, 01:00 PM
waynes ear's

i'd wipe my #@&%! on buckingham palace curtains

Unread 02-03-2010, 01:01 PM
Gorilla Monsoon

If I was as good as Rooney was, ie I could take a shit on capellos wife and still get picked, I'd probably tell them I'm available for important games but not shitty pointless friendlies in the middle of the week.

Unread 02-03-2010, 01:02 PM
Ginners

personally representing your country, especially in the world cup, is the highest possible acheivement you can get. obviously wouldnt be arsed about all these friendlies

Unread 02-03-2010, 01:02 PM
koppas

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulParkersPubes
I thought you were a kebab muncher?

Would you be arsed with it though? I mean giving it all the 'proud to wear the shirt' %@#$&!s?
That's a common myth - although people away from the forum have said I look Turkish. £#%&! knows why as both my parents are British and pasty. Maybe my mum was banging Emre the local kebab man when I was a kid, who knows.

I'd probably make an effort to be honest as I reckon playing in the World cup must be £#%&!ing class. Wouldn't wanna miss out on it but I would risk injuries etc playing in pointless friendlies/qualifiers against Azerbaijan if I could help it.

Unread 02-03-2010, 01:04 PM
Sullingtons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginners
personally representing your country, especially in the world cup, is the highest possible acheivement you can get. obviously wouldnt be arsed about all these friendlies
Agreed. Would really felt as if 'I'd made it'.

Zorg

Quote:
£#%&! knows why as both my parents are British and pasty. Maybe my mum was banging Emre the local kebab man when I was a kid, who knows.
How would that lead to you looking Turkish?

Ethers

Like it or not, International football is still regarded as the pinnacle of a players career.

Lets be reality, Rooney and the rest of our English players would rather win the World Cup than another Champions League.

Unread 02-03-2010, 01:07 PM
Spiffy

When you were a kid, did you support England? I did and most people I know did. It was only as I got older and I could see that playing for England meant being injured for United that I started to not be arsed about England. Then we had the Beckham effigy and the blaming of Phil Neville for England being shit that I stopped really supporting them.

If you were a kid shit hot at football, you'd have a dream to play for United and England. They are realising their dream by playing and when comparing themselves to the greats, they will always consider international performances. So in short, now I would say no but in reality I would do.

HTH.

Unread 02-03-2010, 01:07 PM
koppas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sullingtons
Agreed. Would really felt as if 'I'd made it'.
Sir Ryan Giggs has never played in a World Cup. Do you think he feels like he has 'made it'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
How would that lead to you looking Turkish?
Just realised what I put there.

Unread 02-03-2010, 01:11 PM
BulgarianSpectator

Of course you play for your country. NQAT. Unless you have a series of absolute stinker performances, you get a lot more respect from fans (both home and opposition), usually better treatment from press.

And from a financial perspective, you can use the fact that you are a full international to get a better contract with your club. While away find out what other clubs are paying those in your position, and wangle a transfer / tap-up a potential team mate (Ridsdale reckoned Wes Brown did that to get Ferdinand in 2002, for example).

Unread 02-03-2010, 01:13 PM
BulgarianSpectator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffy
When you were a kid, did you support England? I did and most people I know did. It was only as I got older and I could see that playing for England meant being injured for United that I started to not be arsed about England. Then we had the Beckham effigy and the blaming of Phil Neville for England being shit that I stopped really supporting them.

If you were a kid shit hot at football, you'd have a dream to play for United and England. They are realising their dream by playing and when comparing themselves to the greats, they will always consider international performances. So in short, now I would say no but in reality I would do.

HTH.
And if you are over 40, just two words are enough to hate England: Don Revie.

El Chalten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffy

HTH.
i never did. don't get me wrong when England get to the finals i want them to do well and win but if they lose i couldn't give a £#%&!. never did, never will.

i don't know anyone who wore england shirts when i was a kid. it was just city or utd.

£#%&! knows where you were brought up!

nft.

Sullingtons

Quote:
Sir Ryan Giggs has never played in a World Cup. Do you think he feels like he has 'made it'?
On an international stage, no.

As he's Welsh.

Unread 02-03-2010, 01:14 PM
dunk

I think I would just want to play as many games as possible.

It could finish at any second.

Unread 02-03-2010, 01:16 PM
Smeggs

i'd play but my priority would always be the club. as a player you just want to play all the time don't you, you'd be professional about it if you had to play with showers like terry but you'd def do it.

the standard is not as good as top club football but for your club you'll never be a national hero and i can imagine you'd feel good inside.

don't think it matters which country either. scholesy retired from england before giggsy did with wales. both excellent decisions.

Unread 02-03-2010, 01:17 PM
Spiffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Chalten
i never did. don't get me wrong when England get to the finals i want them to do well and win but if they lose i couldn't give a £#%&!. never did, never will.

i don't know anyone who wore england shirts when i was a kid. it was just city or utd.

£#%&! knows where you were brought up
!

nft.
Sunny Middleton. When asking a kid round our way who they supported, the usual answer was 'United and England'.
Closed Thread