United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football

Unread 20-02-2024, 09:42 PM
marlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster View Post
That's not how people used the popular saying ...

That's how YOU want it used ...

A lot of things that have happened this season and have been totally out of his control...
but that would mean any failing manager has his hands tied behind his back then?
which negates this special case you seem to be making for your crush!

anyway how ever you want to cook your meal …

it’s come out today that only 4th guarantees Champions league which we won’t get.
INEOS won’t want to risk us not getting Champions league football again in 25/26 as well so will make the relevant changes now.
they are building United up to then relay on the law of averages that the manager becomes one that can sustain a title challenge and have us playing good football.

Take the bet if you disagree , it’s easy money right?

Unread 20-02-2024, 09:48 PM
Bunker Buster

It's not easy money at all, because with new owners (kind of) and new men above him I have no idea what they want to do....

So, I will not be taking a £1k.bet with marlo from utdforum as I have better things to do with my cash than risk it....

Many thanks

Unread 20-02-2024, 09:49 PM
marlo

Quote:
It's not easy money at all, because with new owners (kind of) and new men above him I have no idea what they want to do....

So, I will not be taking a £1k.bet with marlo from utdforum as I have better things to do with my cash than risk it....

Many thanks
but surely theyd want to keep on this special manager you speak of?

Unread 20-02-2024, 09:52 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlo View Post
but surely theyd want to keep on this special manager you speak of?
Maybe, maybe not....

Put it on at the bookies, then you can show us all your winnings in the off season...

Unread 20-02-2024, 11:38 PM
armchair

I'm not super excited about Potter tbh. I don't think he would've done better than eth if he had got the job instead.

Unread 21-02-2024, 03:39 AM
believe

Quote:
Good one mate

(Wasn't on about just league position)

Yeah, proper head scratcher why Doncaster didn’t win the league or FA cup last year.

Unread 21-02-2024, 07:13 AM
marlo

a message to the ETH fan club -

I don’t get it lads.

we are 5 points off 4th with a third of the season left to play.

the manager that you lot think is the one we should get behind and will have us challenging should chase down villa and spurs over 13 games easy peasy right?

Isn’t 4th a realistic target eth should be achieving?

or is it ever changing in the sense of if we lose games “ it’s not important as we just want to see a performance out the team at this stage to build on for next season” …
but if we play shit and win it’s “All about the result at this stage and getting the points by any means necessary”
the man can do no wrong and if he dies the wrong becomes the right.

what a time to be alive!

Unread 21-02-2024, 09:50 AM
shenwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlo View Post
a message to the ETH fan club -

I don’t get it lads.

we are 5 points off 4th with a third of the season left to play.

the manager that you lot think is the one we should get behind and will have us challenging should chase down villa and spurs over 13 games easy peasy right?

Isn’t 4th a realistic target eth should be achieving?

or is it ever changing in the sense of if we lose games “ it’s not important as we just want to see a performance out the team at this stage to build on for next season” …
but if we play shit and win it’s “All about the result at this stage and getting the points by any means necessary”
the man can do no wrong and if he dies the wrong becomes the right.

what a time to be alive!
This is one thing I agree on. We've been so bad this season that expectations have been lowered and people are excited about the possibility of finishing fourth. That is most definitely not good enough, even mitigating for injuries.

Fourth and a cup would be good. Fourth would be okay. Top six would be a serious under achievement. Outside of top six would be an absolute failure.

Personally I'm more bothered about how Rasmus, Kobe and Garnacho develop as I see them more of our long-term future than I do ETH. Doesn't mean I want him gone, but would be way more bothered if we lost one of the three.

Unread 21-02-2024, 10:00 AM
Jethro

No one is excited about finishing fourth. We see it as a necessity.

Unread 21-02-2024, 10:38 AM
shenwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethro View Post
No one is excited about finishing fourth. We see it as a necessity.
Excited may be the wrong word, but plenty on this thread saying fourth would be a good outcome for ETH, which I don't think it would be. It's the absolute bare minimum we should be getting.

Unread 21-02-2024, 10:45 AM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen View Post
Excited may be the wrong word, but plenty on this thread saying fourth would be a good outcome for ETH, which I don't think it would be. It's the absolute bare minimum we should be getting.
Yup. Honest thoughts are to keep his job he needs CL football, however that comes. That absolutely gives him next season to improve further under a stable regime.

There are mitigating circumstances of course, but I keep hearing about how bad the league is. If we can't finish 4th in a supposedly low quality league then we're not going in the right direction imo. His buys have been an absolute mixed bag between the decent and the dogshit.

At the end of the day, Villa and Spurs are our 'rivals' for 4th.

I do expect him to do it btw.

Unread 21-02-2024, 10:46 AM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryX View Post
At this stage, I'd be very happy, especially with the emergence of Mainoo and Razza, and how important Garnacho has become to the team. The buzz of turning things round would be a huge psychological boost for the young 'uns and give the whole club a lift.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg View Post
The last few weeks have lifted everyone I think. We're still absolutely awful at controlling a match, but there are lots of positive signs. Having Mainoo, Garnacho and Hojlund, three brilliant, exciting young players playing every match and obviously enjoying it, is great to see. Think we'd be mad to rip that up and start again.

Although next season is the crunch one for Baldy.
Yup.

Unread 21-02-2024, 10:54 AM
Stickman

I like to see the team playing with a semblance of control and underlying numbers improving like the GD. Plus 1 approaching the home stretch is bonkers for this club.

5th with huge signs of something building to get behind > 4th and continuing to meander.

Unread 21-02-2024, 10:57 AM
RedNick80

But Feries teams never had 'control'

Unread 21-02-2024, 11:03 AM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNick80 View Post
Not sure if wumming etc

They knew how to stem the tide and also how to see out games.

Unread 21-02-2024, 11:07 AM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNick80 View Post
Who said that ?

They must have slept through the games when we were trailing and teams couldn't get out of their own halves for the last 20 minutes of a game.