United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 15-08-2023, 03:48 PM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
assuming we only have the same squad as monday, we still can't put out a midfield:

onana

wan b - varane - martinez(/linde) - shaw

pellistri - casemiro - eriksen

bruno

martial - rashford

and hope they take it easy on eriksen.
This formation cannot work with AWB as one of the full backs.

& Pellistri in midfield is more lightweight than Mount.

& neither of the forwards can play with their back to goal / link man.

I could say more but we should be playing a true 4-3-3 with the personnel we have, ideally with an actual no.9 but we'll have to wait for that. A motivated & fit Martial can fill in, until he strains something else at least.

If Martial is fit, start him & Rashers left. Antony right. Move Mount & Bruno back 10 yards to be in the middle of the park & move forward as a unit to press / drop off & track runners if there are any.

I have no idea why there is no interchanging of the forwards either, it's all a bit stagnant.

Unread 15-08-2023, 04:07 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron
I could say more but we should be playing a true 4-3-3 with the personnel we have...
the problem is the personnel that we have. we cannot put out a balanced midfield. similarly, we cannot play a striker who is good with his back to goal. or a good right back. because we don't £#%&!ing have them (not fit, anyway, in the case of our cf).

you are wrong about pellistri being more lightweight than mount, though. he's mobile, positive and gutsy. neither of them should be in our first team.

Unread 15-08-2023, 04:12 PM
believe

Onana
AWB——Varane——Martinez——Shaw
Casemiro

Bruno——Mount

Antony——Sancho——Rashford

Pretty much all he can pick until the Danish lad is ready isn’t it?

Unread 15-08-2023, 04:13 PM
My Name is Heath

Onana ooh nah nah

AWB

Varane
Martinez
Maguire

Shaw so Shaw

Lindelof
Casemiro

Bruno

Rashford
Martial (if fit)

Unread 15-08-2023, 04:18 PM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
the problem is the personnel that we have. we cannot put out a balanced midfield. similarly, we cannot play a striker who is good with his back to goal. or a good right back. because we don't £#%&!ing have them (not fit, anyway, in the case of our cf).

you are wrong about pellistri being more lightweight than mount, though. he's mobile, positive and gutsy. neither of them should be in our first team.
We're saying the same thing, but you're putting squarer pegs in round holes for no good reason and emphasising our problems by relying on the likes of AWB to manage a whole right side on his own when he can barely get up to support someone playing in front of him.

It's a congested & narrow mess without balance. The best we can manage is to play the way ETH wants, but with a tweak to how close the midfield 3 actually play rather than exposing Casemiro.

Unread 15-08-2023, 04:22 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron
We're saying the same thing, but you're putting squarer pegs in round holes for no good reason and emphasising our problems by relying on the likes of AWB to manage a whole right side on his own when he can barely get up to support someone playing in front of him.

It's a congested & narrow mess without balance. The best we can manage is to play the way ETH wants, but with a tweak to how close the midfield 3 actually play rather than exposing Casemiro.
so, if awb is managing the right all on his own, what is pellistri doing? watching? like mount? mmmk. basically, I have just switched mount for eriksen and antony for pellistri. bit harsh on antony, given that he actually tracks back, but so be it.

Unread 15-08-2023, 04:37 PM
Bunker Buster

Switching Antony for pellestri is just stupidity and are you going to continue with the Anti mount posting in most football.threads all season ?

Unread 15-08-2023, 04:48 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
Switching Antony for pellestri is just stupidity and are you going to continue with the Anti mount posting in most football.threads all season ?
stupidity is rather a harsh word for someone with a different opinion. I think antony is one of our more reliable trackers back. but I want someone who is more coppell than hill.

I am not anti mount. I am pro a balanced midfield.

Unread 15-08-2023, 04:54 PM
dunk

Pellistri isn’t anything. He looked like a small child last night, touched the ball about twice and was just bullied whenever he was near play.

Unread 15-08-2023, 04:54 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Pellistri isn’t anything. He looked like a small child last night, touched the ball about twice and was just bullied whenever he was near play.
why are you so anti pellisti?

ffs, dunk.

Unread 15-08-2023, 04:59 PM
Dasilvatwins

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
assuming we only have the same squad as monday, we still can't put out a midfield:

onana

bruno

martial - rashford

Fair enough if you don’t want to play mount “because he ain’t a midfielder” but then replacing him with pellestri who is a winger and Eriksen who by trade is a number 10 whose legs have gone .

He should go with the same team as last night as tweak the tactics a bit and let mount play deeper. Tbh Tottenham will press higher so they will play into our hands a bit offering more space for the players who are already in positions of overload against the opposition.

Unread 15-08-2023, 05:03 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasilvatwins
Fair enough if you don’t want to play mount “because he ain’t a midfielder” but then replacing him with pellestri who is a winger and Eriksen who by trade is a number 10 whose legs have gone .

He should go with the same team as last night as tweak the tactics a bit and let mount play deeper. Tbh Tottenham will press higher so they will play into our hands a bit offering more space for the players who are already in positions of overload against the opposition.
pellistri is quick enough to get up and down - which we need. and, whilst eriksen's legs have gone, I like him playing deep in preference to mount (hardly controversial, unless eriksen is actually £#%&!ing dead). maybe mount can come on when eriksen gets tired (or dies).

as already noted, though.... we can't put out a proper £#%&!ing midfield. that is the problem.

Unread 15-08-2023, 05:13 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
why are you so anti pellisti?

ffs, dunk.
I’m not, I like him, lovely dribbler and makes good decisions. Needs to fill out and will be bullied in the PL. Needs to play week-in, week-out and develop elsewhere.

Unread 15-08-2023, 05:19 PM
Dasilvatwins

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
pellistri is quick enough to get up and down - which we need. and, whilst eriksen's legs have gone, I like him playing deep in preference to mount (hardly controversial, unless eriksen is actually £#%&!ing dead). maybe mount can come on when eriksen gets tired (or dies).

as already noted, though.... we can't put out a proper £#%&!ing midfield. that is the problem.
The main issue yesterday was the ability to play the ball from our defence into attack, we weren’t being out run.. The build up was poor. Eriksen should help with that but when when he came out ball retention and creativity was still a bit shit. pellestri wouldn’t help with that. I can’t see ETH abandoning his principles and tactics after one game. Personally he should play the same team but tweak it where the full back doesn’t go to CM .

There are a few things ETH could do in theory but wouldn’t ever do. He could go with natural footed wingers playing on their side. Stick Antony down the left and garnacho on the right. But you take a lot of their game away and only have rashford who just isn’t a striker to aim for.

The real concern is if hojlund does get injured for a prolonged period of time, rashford just doesn’t play aswell in the middle as he does down the left. We need another CM (Amrabat hopefully) and a striker , even if it’s one on loan. There’s time to make deals.

The Scottish Player maguire VDB Bailey all expected to go. Should be enough for two signings

Unread 15-08-2023, 05:22 PM
jem

Quote:
I’m not, I like him, lovely dribbler and makes good decisions. Needs to fill out and will be bullied in the PL. Needs to play week-in, week-out and develop elsewhere.
he's a full international and a couple of years older than garnacho. I want to see him step up for us. maybe he could arm-wrestle mount for the place and we'll see who is more likely to get bullied.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasilvatwins
The main issue yesterday was the ability to play the ball from our defence into attack, we weren’t being out run..
the main issue was that when wolves got the ball, they had a wide open space straight down the middle into which to run.

Unread 15-08-2023, 05:26 PM
dunk

Pellistri. Again, did you see him last night? It was embarrassing.

Unread 15-08-2023, 05:31 PM
My Name is Heath

Another transfer window and we still need a Lindelof in midfield

Not good so far

Unread 15-08-2023, 05:36 PM
jem

Quote:
Pellistri. Again, did you see him last night? It was embarrassing.
I have seen him play before. I have seen mount play before. I would not judge either of them on one game.

Unread 15-08-2023, 05:42 PM
Jethro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem

onana

bruno

martial - rashford

Unread 18-08-2023, 11:00 AM
wiganste

Shorts weather tomorrow
Closed Thread