United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football

Unread 19-02-2024, 04:29 PM
wiganste

Default IF United make top 4* this season

is it classed as a success? And will ten Hag still be on the watch list?

*Top 5 may also be good enough for Champions League football

Unread 19-02-2024, 04:31 PM
Time For Heroes

Yes

(Especially considering the injuries we've had).

Unread 19-02-2024, 04:37 PM
Finport Red

Only because of all the injuries in the first half of the season.

Unread 19-02-2024, 04:46 PM
wiganste

I kind of agree but even with the injuries, the football shouldn't have been as rank as it was.

I do think if we got CL football next season, we'll be better in it (can't be any worse) but I'm also reluctant to celebrate a top 4 finish

Unread 19-02-2024, 04:47 PM
RedNick80

Yes, absolutely. Whilst there are still some question marks...

He's had the injuries to our most influential players (that continue) and he's gotten rid of Sancho.

More importantly He's also had to 'operate' under the previous regime and absolute lack of structure above him, that only now looks to be changing.

Probably always will be a 'watchlist' given the nature of management these days.

Unread 19-02-2024, 04:48 PM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiganste View Post
I kind of agree but even with the injuries, the football shouldn't have been as rank as it was.

I do think if we got CL football next season, we'll be better in it (can't be any worse) but I'm also reluctant to celebrate a top 4 finish
This. Top 4 and a the cup would be ok and soften the blow of the shite we’ve had to endure.

Unread 19-02-2024, 04:48 PM
Jethro

We've seen what he can do and how he wants to play. It's a no brainer for me but deserves another year regardless with all the shit he's had to put up with.

Going to bic my head in solidarity.

Unread 19-02-2024, 04:49 PM
Lok

It depends when you set the criteria for success.

After the league cup final expectations were high. Probably higher than they should have been. If someone told us then that the following season would see us dumped out of the champions league in the group stage, exit the league cup early and that we'd just about scrape 4th; we would think it was a disaster of a season.

At this point in time (after how the season started), it would now feel a bit more like a success. That we were able to pull it together in the end to get top 4 after the injuries and awful form.

The reality is that it has been a poor season. Hopefully the last few months make up for the shit we'd seen pre Christmas.

EtH remains on the watchlist until we start winning major trophies and mount title challenges regularly.

Unread 19-02-2024, 04:52 PM
Bunker Buster

Extend his contract, in it for the next 5.

My manager

Unread 19-02-2024, 04:54 PM
Bobby C

It would be a success in my eyes. Especially as it will help attract players for the summer Ratcliffe rebuild

Unread 19-02-2024, 04:55 PM
suedeshoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiganste View Post
is it classed as a success? And will ten Hag still be on the watch list?

*Top 5 may also be good enough for Champions League football
It would be a success by modern metrics.

Maintaining a generally improving trajectory is what's most important. We're slowly getting better. It needs to be allowed to continue.

Unread 19-02-2024, 05:04 PM
Rorschach

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
Extend his contract, in it for the next 5.

My manager
+1.

Unread 19-02-2024, 05:43 PM
NedKelly

He’s defied the ADHD crew and we’ve turned another corner recently. Definitely deserves another season at least.

Unread 19-02-2024, 06:00 PM
magic_cantona

Saw my arse against Villa when we were 2 down and wanted him out. However, he's had no 'team' or 1st 11 from day 1 this season and despite the crying from Newcastle etc, no club has had it worse. With a proper set up behind him, he won't be getting in 25m players for 80m+ and then being told the 'budget' has gone. He's got rid of the £#%&!ers like Sancho and Lingard and he's obviously said no to giving Tony M a new contract. Rashford is a problem but who else plays if he's dropped?

Needs a good transfer window with the proper backing and set up and he deffo deserves another year*

*Unless he gets all of the above and we're still awful at full strength.

Unread 19-02-2024, 06:16 PM
Gypsum Fantastic

Just top4 wouldn’t be success but would be acceptable if we continue to improve how we play and scoring goals. Do that plus the cup and that would be success given money spent and that given injuries and competitive nature of the league

Unread 19-02-2024, 06:20 PM
Hyman_Roth

Was very worrying pre Christmas. I know we had horrendous injuries but should that have meant that the selected players played that badly? The vast majority of the team that beat Luton were playing as a team pre Christmas.

It was £#%&!ing awful. We bombed out of an easy CL group and got @#%&!ted by bang average teams on the reg.

And then there’s the talent he’s identified - Antony and Onana - and in the case of Antony, really poor and contributed massively to how poorly we were playing.

Thats said, I’m much optimistic about him now, Ineos is a big factor in having some more informed voices around him and guiding him through player identification and transfers.

As ever, if some incredible managerial target came available then who knows but I can’t think of anyone that matches that description. Defo another year and more time to work alongside Ineos.

Unread 19-02-2024, 06:27 PM
jem

generally agree with keef. top 4 would good, given where we were a fee weeks ago. not really stepping up from last season and some of his decisions have been ridiculous.

Unread 19-02-2024, 06:27 PM
Bobby C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyman_Roth View Post
And then there’s the talent he’s identified - Antony and Onana - and in the case of Antony, really poor and contributed massively to how poorly we were playing.
TBF he (our boss) expected Greenwood to be part of the squad

He (the boss) lost a generational talent at the last minute because the generational talent turned out to be a ... well I don't know because he was never tried let alone convicted.

Either way: the squad wasn't what he was planning, as far as wide right is concerned, ergo unfair to judge him by it

Unread 19-02-2024, 06:34 PM
Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyman_Roth
As ever, if some incredible managerial target came available then who knows but I can’t think of anyone that matches that description.

* before Larry and others bite, I am joking.

Unread 19-02-2024, 06:54 PM
Gypsum Fantastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby C View Post
TBF he (our boss) expected Greenwood to be part of the squad

He (the boss) lost a generational talent at the last minute because the generational talent turned out to be a ... well I don't know because he was never tried let alone convicted.

Either way: the squad wasn't what he was planning, as far as wide right is concerned, ergo unfair to judge him by it
So you lose a player from the squad and you get a pass for a year? Bullshit.