United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 02-04-2007, 10:31 AM
Lodestar

Post Life under Malcolm Glazer

So, we are getting on for two years under his control and it has been a mixed bag.

My initial feelings after the takeover were revulsion and that United had finally lost its soul to big business. I still feel a lot of that animosity and that sense of it being the "quiet before the storm" as the warnings of debt repayment and escalating ticket prices become a reality.

You can point to the lack of investment in the squad but then you look at our league position and progress in cup competitions and those arguments are undermined. There is also an irony in complaining about the lack of big money signings in the previous two years yet feeling that money is ruining the game.

In the Glazers favour they backed Fergie after a disastrous season last year and they have not become involved in areas of running the club where they have no expertise - unlike the Chelsea situation. The fact they have kept a low profile has benefited their PR no end.

On the other hand, there has remained a lack of accountability under the Glazers and poor communication with the fans. The issue of ticket pricing is also important and whether in years to come, increases will be steeper under the Glazers than the PLC. I think we know the answer to that.

Strange times.

Unread 02-04-2007, 10:34 AM
dodger

The probelms with Glazer are long term and any success is despite them not because of them.
Remember this: The winning of trophies is incidental to the Glazers. What they desire is maximum revenue from minimum outlay. No net spend, 2nd/3rd in the league and a good run in the champs leage and a cup is ideal for them.

It's a very dangerous game they are playing...at no risk to them of course.

Unread 02-04-2007, 10:38 AM
shyteds

Dam good post sir, most of what you have said many feel the same. At a time where many clubs are reducing ticket prices, the deathly silence from OT is worrying. Maybe going against the grain will be justified (by the club not me) by winning the title and a cup or two.

Unread 02-04-2007, 10:38 AM
Lodestar

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger
The probelms with Glazer are long term and any success is despite them not because of them.
Remember this: The winning of trophies is incidental to the Glazers. What they desire is maximum revenue from minimum outlay. No net spend 2nd/3rd in the league and a good run in the champs leage and a cup is ideal for them.

It's a very dangerous game they are playing...at no risk to them of course.
I do think it matters to them that the team are successful trophy wise - although their motive is financial obviously.

Unread 02-04-2007, 10:52 AM
Tumescent Throb

It occurs to me that this United takeover is pretty high profile - one of the biggest sporting institutions in the world no less. If they were to £#%&! us over, or just £#%&! it up even, where would that leave them as far as the confidence of the business world goes?

Obviously their loss would be irrelevant to us compared to ours if the shit hits the fan - but it's still something they'll not want to happen.

Can't see they'd be happy with "2nd/3rd in the league and a good run in the champs leage and a cup" cus surely the more prize money/tv cash they get the more they can spend on the squad - fees and wages - to keep the fans flooding in without ever having the need to spend any cash of their own they might have stashed somewhere.

Unread 02-04-2007, 12:07 PM
dodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
Can't see they'd be happy with "2nd/3rd in the league and a good run in the champs leage and a cup" cus surely the more prize money/tv cash they get the more they can spend on the squad - fees and wages - to keep the fans flooding in without ever having the need to spend any cash of their own they might have stashed somewhere.
I'm sure they have a graph in their office that shows when expenditure and income will have optimum returns for them. Obviously I don't know what it is but you don't have to win trophies to ride the football gravy train and the least they spend doing it they better it is for them.
I'm sure they will be pleased to win trophies, as it helps to generate more income, but it's isn't foremost in their plans and they wouldn't spend to try to acieve it.

Unread 02-04-2007, 12:17 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger
I'm sure they have a graph in their office that shows when expenditure and income will have optimum returns for them. Obviously I don't know what it is but you don't have to win trophies to ride the football gravy train and the least they spend doing it they better it is for them.
I'm sure they will be pleased to win trophies, as it helps to generate more income, but it's isn't foremost in their plans and they wouldn't spend to try to acieve it.
you do need to at least challenge genuinely to ride it properly. and the biggest bucks are in winning. that's what they'll want for the maximising of profits. no rocket science required.

Unread 02-04-2007, 12:18 PM
dodger

Quote:
you do need to at least challenge genuinely to ride it properly. and the biggest bucks are in winning. that's what they'll want for the maximising of profits. no rocket science required.
Oh cool. Everythings alright then.

Unread 02-04-2007, 12:28 PM
Tropical

Quote:
It occurs to me that this United takeover is pretty high profile - one of the biggest sporting institutions in the world no less. If they were to £#%&! us over, or just £#%&! it up even, where would that leave them as far as the confidence of the business world goes?
is populated by serial failures. It's considered something of a badge of honour among "entrepreneurs" to have undergone several bankruptcies or other £#%&!-ups. And it doesn't stop anyone lending them money.

Quote:
Obviously their loss would be irrelevant to us compared to ours if the shit hits the fan - but it's still something they'll not want to happen.
Well, of course they won't *want* it happen. Why would they? But as you say, their loss would be irrelevant compared to ours - and that's all that matters to both them and to us. They can walk away undamaged. We can't.

Quote:
As many people have, you're assuming they have a business "plan" worthy of the name, or some over-arching strategy. Whereas they may well have been cornered into initiating the takeover simply to cover the money they borrowed to acquire their original stake, by unloading the debt onto United, and now they're just winging it. I haven't seen it yet - and of course it isn't definitive - but I understand Mihir Bose's recent book covers this possibility in some detail.

Unread 02-04-2007, 01:04 PM
BryanRobson'sLiver

Malcom Glazer is a hard faced @#%&! who would sue his own sister for her half of the family money and who will work his arse off to make a business a sucess, he might have managed to make united work with this level of debt but he is lay somewhere drooling and his three born in to money goon sons are in charge who between them have never had one sucessful business venture. Yeah things are going okay for now but come the time or retirement for Giggs, Scholes and G Nev and we will see.

Unread 02-04-2007, 01:06 PM
ScarFace

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyteds
Dam good post sir, most of what you have said many feel the same. At a time where many clubs are reducing ticket prices, the deathly silence from OT is worrying. Maybe going against the grain will be justified (by the club not me) by winning the title and a cup or two.
the only clubs that are reducing ticket prices are the tinpot teams that cant fill the ground

Unread 02-04-2007, 01:12 PM
chorleyred

what Malcolm Glazer is like as a man is irrelevant now, his only concern is where his next breath comes from.

It's what the sons/family are like now

Unread 02-04-2007, 01:13 PM
chorleyred

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarFace
the only clubs that are reducing ticket prices are the tinpot teams that cant fill the ground

this is true, except for maybe everton who I think I heard were lowering theirs? think they more or less sell out every game

Unread 02-04-2007, 01:17 PM
curtis ian

The worst part for me to deal with is we are directly buying them United, and they knew that from day one, and with the current state of affairs with our support a boycott simply will not happen especially with the success on the pitch, it will only make it worse against that course of retaliation. It is perfect for them.

Unread 02-04-2007, 01:21 PM
ScarFace

Quote:
Originally Posted by chorleyred
this is true, except for maybe everton who I think I heard were lowering theirs? think they more or less sell out every game
They dont yano, there is always atleast 5000 empty seats, unless it's against the big teams.

Their avg is less than 35000, it holds 40000

This is why it baffles me when they say they need a new ground, they only need a new one because it's falling to bits, they dont need a bigger one.

Unread 02-04-2007, 01:24 PM
curtis ian

dont think that made any sense what i was trying to say? the bottom line is we need to act fast and suddenly before it gets even further out of our reaches to intervine, and i sadly can not see £#%&! all along those lines happening.

Unread 02-04-2007, 01:27 PM
dodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropical
As many people have, you're assuming they have a business "plan" worthy of the name, or some over-arching strategy. Whereas they may well have been cornered into initiating the takeover simply to cover the money they borrowed to acquire their original stake, by unloading the debt onto United, and now they're just winging it. I haven't seen it yet - and of course it isn't definitive - but I understand Mihir Bose's recent book covers this possibility in some detail.
Perhaps it's something I really don't want to contemplate.

Unread 02-04-2007, 01:35 PM
chorleyred

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarFace
They dont yano, there is always atleast 5000 empty seats, unless it's against the big teams.

Their avg is less than 35000, it holds 40000

This is why it baffles me when they say they need a new ground, they only need a new one because it's falling to bits, they dont need a bigger one.

5000 spare seats or take 3 or 4 quid off a ticket and still not guarentee selling the spare 5000.

the teams that are doing it like blackburn/bolton etc will have done their sums and if they thought they'd lose money on what they already get wouldn't be doing it imo

utd won't do it under glazer and wouldn't have done it as a plc as it's a no brainer if you're running a business that sells out regularly. If utd did it then it could only be seen as a bonus for the fans, hence it won't happen

It will be a minimum rise but a rise all the same imo

Unread 02-04-2007, 01:48 PM
Qwertyuiop

Clubs arent reducing ticket prices as a good will exercise, they are doing it because people arent going to wtch football at their ground. That doesnt apply to United, I'm expecting at least a 5% increase.

Unread 02-04-2007, 01:58 PM
Johnson

Arsenal (£#%&!ing expensive though it is) have frozen season ticket prices for next year.
Closed Thread