United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 28-05-2013, 02:57 PM
sub three hours

Default Eric the King is not regarded by the French as a legendary player

I had an interesting conversation with a Frenchman this morning about Eric. I was basically told that the enduring fascination with him is entirely English and that the French didn't rate him at all. Seemingly in France Eric isn't regarded and would certainly not be compared in the same company as the likes of Zinedine Zidane and Yourii Djorkaeff.

Unread 28-05-2013, 02:58 PM
MUFC One Love

King story, bro.

Unread 28-05-2013, 02:59 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub three hours
I had an interesting conversation with a Frenchman this morning about Eric. I was basically told that the enduring fascination with him is entirely English and that the French didn't rate him at all. Seemingly in France Eric isn't regarded and would certainly not be compared in the same company as the likes of Zinedine Zidane and Yourii Djorkaeff.
Mainly because we massively overrate him due to the influence he had and the timing of his arrival, and his love for the club.

Unread 28-05-2013, 03:00 PM
MJ Ramone

He £#%&!ed up his International career though didn't he so they're bound to resent him for that.

Unread 28-05-2013, 03:02 PM
Barcabal

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Mainly because we massively overrate him due to the influence he had and the timing of his arrival, and his love for the club.

Unread 28-05-2013, 03:03 PM
Cream

Rugby mad over there, not interested in a word they have to say.

Unread 28-05-2013, 03:06 PM
92ToBury

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub three hours
Understand him being regarded as a level below Zidane, one of the best ever, but Youri £#%&!ing Djorkaeff????

Unread 28-05-2013, 03:06 PM
irk

I simply don't accept the opinion of a Frenchman on anything

Unread 28-05-2013, 03:08 PM
Sparky***

Not being funny but that nation never really gave a £#%&! about football before 1998 anyway.

Unread 28-05-2013, 03:13 PM
Fountz

Default France !!

...not really a football country.

Like asking my Mum.. who were the best, The Velvet Underground or The Stooges ??

her/their opinion is a complete irrelevance.

Unread 28-05-2013, 03:17 PM
dodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
Not being funny but that nation never really gave a £#%&! about football before 1998 anyway.
Well said. I knew this bird with a french boyfriend. He said Eric was a bit of a joke over there. I Never liked him, £#%&!ing superior @#%&!.

Unread 28-05-2013, 03:30 PM
The Return of JC

Hardly surprising considering his best years were outside of France and he did next to nothing at international level.

Unread 28-05-2013, 03:31 PM
Fountz

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger
Well said. I knew this bird with a french boyfriend. He said Eric was a bit of a joke over there. I Never liked him, £#%&!ing superior @#%&!.
I know mate, but he was OUR superior @#%&! !! YHBR

Unread 28-05-2013, 03:32 PM
jem

Quote:
this
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barcabal
not this
Quote:
Originally Posted by irk
I simply don't accept the opinion of a Frenchman on anything
but this

Unread 28-05-2013, 03:33 PM
believe

Quote:
this.

Unread 28-05-2013, 03:34 PM
MrBishi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
l'rosbif comme foot avec 1996, or something.

Unread 28-05-2013, 03:40 PM
TripDownMiseryLane

did nothing at international or european level, french joey barton if we're honest, surprised they can even remember him.

Unread 28-05-2013, 03:44 PM
carlosartorial

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripDownMiseryLane
french joey barton if we're honest, surprised they can even remember him.
What a £#%&!ing plum.

Unread 28-05-2013, 03:45 PM
believe

Quote:
did nothing at international or european level, french joey barton if we're honest, surprised they can even remember him.
that's a bit stupid tbf. Cantona was a great player. He was an even greater United player.

Unread 28-05-2013, 03:47 PM
dragflick

Quote:
Not sure if...
Closed Thread