United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Love United, Hate Glazer

Unread 15-03-2010, 02:20 PM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosartorial
Utter %@#$&!s.

You've done nothing but whinge about G&G from the minute the idea was mentioned.

Incidentally, I know you stopped going some time ago, how long did you actually watch United for before you gave up?
I'm not whinging about the idea at all. In fact I don't understand the protests at all at the minute.

I went to my first game in 83 and was a LMTB holder in 87. I moved from the Stretford End in 92 to the scoreboard paddock and was offered a ST in the first seats in the West Stand lower in the same year. I went to every home game from 87-97 and almost every home and away game from 97-2005. Hth.

Unread 15-03-2010, 02:33 PM
MJ Ramone

Tbf, I don't care what colour it is.
ANY grown man wearing a Jesters hat should be stoned to death.

Unread 15-03-2010, 08:18 PM
The Watcher

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerplunk
it's fine by me.

yep, let's give up then shall we. cos all those people have been interviewed as well haven't they? and confirmed that they couldn't give a shit.

or not.

correct. the pictures of him picking it up and putting it on will last far longer than the interview he did where he 'kind of' distanced himself from knowing exactly what it meant.

thank £#%&! for that.

well said. (i'd prefer if they didn't buy stuff in the ground though )
Good post

Unread 15-03-2010, 10:20 PM
magic_cantona

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
I'm not whinging about the idea at all. In fact I don't understand the protests at all at the minute.

I went to my first game in 83 and was a LMTB holder in 87. I moved from the Stretford End in 92 to the scoreboard paddock and was offered a ST in the first seats in the West Stand lower in the same year. I went to every home game from 87-97 and almost every home and away game from 97-2005. Hth.

You weren't going in the early 70's though, were you?

Unread 15-03-2010, 11:06 PM
redloner

I was going to write something earlier today, but got called away. Since then Andersred has posted something elsewhere which may give a little perspective;-

Quote:
I've resisted talking about pies and pints on here and elsewhere but people need to get real.

Total catering income (that's all kiosk food and drink at OT but excludes hospitality suites etc) is around £7.8m in a 30 home game season.

So that's £260,000 per game or £3.40 per seat per game.

We have a maximum of six home games left this season. If you could get 50% of people to boycott pies and pints for the rest of the season you cost them £650,000 in revenue. Gross margin of say 60% gives you lost profit of £390,000 or about 0.4% of annual profits.

The Megastore is also totally irrelevant. United get 50% of any profits of a Nike subsidiary called Manchester United Merchandising Ltd. If this company makes a loss, Nike take the hit. Last year it made a profit of £690,000 after tax so United got £345,000. Destroy all retail profits (not easy with only six home games to go) and you knock another 0.4% off annual profits.

Needle unmoved.

It's all about season tickets.
Avoiding merchandise and catering products as part of a total strike is an excellent idea. On its own, it won't even scratch the surface...

Unread 16-03-2010, 09:55 AM
carlosartorial

Thumbs up

Quote:
Right then.

That told me, didn't it?

Carry on.

Unread 16-03-2010, 12:42 PM
Sam the Sanitary Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosartorial
Right then.

That told me, didn't it?

Carry on.

Unread 17-03-2010, 09:53 AM
My Name is Keith

Quote:
How come? To my mind, green and gold has been the most effective protest there's been at the club - either before the Glazer takeover or since.

It's allowed lots of people who aren't inclined to be militant, political or aggressive (ie the vast majority) to get involved. The vast majority of supporters won't go on marches outside OT, aren't inclined to put umbrella's up in Vodaphone shops or indeed aren't interested in setting up and supporting another football club. That's just the way it is.

The best protest is probably withdrawing your financial support from the club - but you have to accept that that is unlikely to take off whilst the team is successful. Most supporters go to United to watch and enjoy a football match - the ownership has always be secondary.

G&G continues to get massive media attention - it probably won't come to anything - just like the 'protests' in 2005 - but it's almost certainly making life a little bit more uncomfortable for the Glazers. And it's gaining political support which could influence how the governing bodies react to how football clubs are run. You simply can't have the same public and visible impact if you withdraw your support.

For example, I know someone who is fairly high up in the world of sport who was sat next to one of the Glazers against Inter and said the amount of grief they were getting during the match was unbelievable. Will that change anything - possibly not? Would it make the Glazers more inclined to sell if they get the right offer? Possibly. Does a very visible and public show of support against debt laden ownership in football raise the political profile of the issue. Undoubtedely.

Sadly, singing about the unfairness of modern football at Gigg Lane has pretty much no impact whatsoever.

Unread 17-03-2010, 12:17 PM
redstu7

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Name is Keith
How come? To my mind, green and gold has been the most effective protest there's been at the club - either before the Glazer takeover or since.

It's allowed lots of people who aren't inclined to be militant, political or aggressive (ie the vast majority) to get involved. The vast majority of supporters won't go on marches outside OT, aren't inclined to put umbrella's up in Vodaphone shops or indeed aren't interested in setting up and supporting another football club. That's just the way it is.

The best protest is probably withdrawing your financial support from the club - but you have to accept that that is unlikely to take off whilst the team is successful. Most supporters go to United to watch and enjoy a football match - the ownership has always be secondary.

G&G continues to get massive media attention - it probably won't come to anything - just like the 'protests' in 2005 - but it's almost certainly making life a little bit more uncomfortable for the Glazers. And it's gaining political support which could influence how the governing bodies react to how football clubs are run. You simply can't have the same public and visible impact if you withdraw your support.

For example, I know someone who is fairly high up in the world of sport who was sat next to one of the Glazers against Inter and said the amount of grief they were getting during the match was unbelievable. Will that change anything - possibly not? Would it make the Glazers more inclined to sell if they get the right offer? Possibly. Does a very visible and public show of support against debt laden ownership in football raise the political profile of the issue. Undoubtedely.

Sadly, singing about the unfairness of modern football at Gigg Lane has pretty much no impact whatsoever.
well said keith

Unread 17-03-2010, 12:28 PM
Sullingtons

Quote:

Jcl.

Unread 17-03-2010, 12:34 PM
forzagarza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sullingtons
Jcl.
Like how he neglects to mention how many friendlies he went to in the summer of 1997

Unread 17-03-2010, 12:50 PM
Sam the Sanitary Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Name is Keith

Spot on

Unread 17-03-2010, 05:39 PM
believe

Good post Keith and I agree with it entirely. I tend to make most of these protest posts after speaking with my old man who is a clueless £#%&!wit.

Unread 17-03-2010, 08:33 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Good post Keith and I agree with it entirely. I tend to make most of these protest posts after speaking with my old man who is a clueless £#%&!wit.

Yeah you don't mean it..............

Unread 17-03-2010, 09:27 PM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster

Yeah you don't mean it..............
I don't mean what?