United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Love United, Hate Glazer

Unread 13-01-2010, 02:32 PM
Ginners

Default Re: Worried about the debt at United ? What are YOU going to do about it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy Dunlop
Time for the greater manchester element to step up imo. You're there all teh time, most of you are between jobs, ideal. The papers will eat it up.

Can't keep relying on the ooters tbh. Like you so often say, this is your club.
fair comment, if i could be up there every day putting stickers on things id be there in a flash.

Unread 13-01-2010, 02:35 PM
Fuzzy Dunlop

Default Re: Worried about the debt at United ? What are YOU going to do about it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginners
fair comment, if i could be up there every day putting stickers on things id be there in a flash.
Don't forget the obligatory frown and naff haircut when you're spray painting Glazers out under a bridge.

magic_cantona

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
Maybe .00001% of people thought "I'm going to stay to line the glazers pockets." For the rest, they were just going to watch their team regardless of the complicated high finance stuff going on that, as normal supporters, had nothing to do with them.
Word.

ScholesScoresGoals2

Quote:

Unread 13-01-2010, 02:37 PM
Skag Trendy

Quote:

Unread 13-01-2010, 02:38 PM
magic_cantona

Maybe the impending (?) sale of Carrington will make people realise how bad it has actually got.

Said it before but I just dont think that people (myself included) wanted to, or just didn't believe the horror stories about how bad it would get.

Unread 13-01-2010, 02:39 PM
ScholesScoresGoals2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skag Trendy

@#%&!s, I can't see the connecting station for salford quays

Unread 13-01-2010, 02:41 PM
Ginners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skag Trendy

quality pic

bet uncle malcs bowels collapsed when one of his aides showed him that.

Unread 13-01-2010, 02:41 PM
Zorg

Keith, with respect, you're missing the point.

The protest is not going, i.e. boycotting.

FC is what we (some of us) do as a replacement. FC is not what took us away, we walked away before FC was even formed and had FC not taken off or never even been thought of, I and lots of other people I know still wouldn't have stayed at OT.

This is a very important distinction.

Unread 13-01-2010, 02:42 PM
Fuzzy Dunlop

Quote:
quality pic

They're onto us.

What's that, someone threw paint at one of the ex shareholder's wall. £#%&!ING END OF DAYS! LEG IT BOYS.

Unread 13-01-2010, 02:43 PM
hopkins

Whatever choice people have made, it's their choice alone and that has to be respected, but it hurts to see all this vitriol, with reds bickering and falling out over it.

Unread 13-01-2010, 02:44 PM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
Keith, with respect, you're missing the point.

The protest is not going, i.e. boycotting.

FC is what we (some of us) do as a replacement. FC is not what took us away, we walked away before FC was even formed and had FC not taken off or never even been thought of, I and lots of other people I know still wouldn't have stayed at OT.

This is a very important distinction.
no no zorg we deserted to support another team. it was the plan all along.

Unread 13-01-2010, 02:57 PM
crock

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
Maybe .00001% of people thought "I'm going to stay to line the glazers pockets." For the rest, they were just going to watch their team regardless of the complicated high finance stuff going on that, as normal supporters, had nothing to do with them.
Yes, you're right and I've no problem with that. As Zorg said, the decision wasn't United or FC, it was stay or go. I respect the decisions everybody made at that time, either way.

The problem is, there is still a nagging part of me saying 'could we have done more'. I think we could, on both sides of the divide. A genuine show of strength with a boycott would (IMO) have had a major effect. I also think that to some extent, we allowed it become a 'USA' thing rather than focusing on the financials at the time. The vast majority of the media portrayed it as anti American ownership rather than anti-debt. I can only speak for myself but I couldn't really have given a shit if our new owners were from Mars (that's the nature of a plc) as long they had the cash and didn't expect the supporters to buy it for them.

Unread 13-01-2010, 03:09 PM
Part 36 Offer

Quote:
quality pic

poor form gin lad

Unread 13-01-2010, 03:10 PM
Ginners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Part 36 Offer
poor form gin lad
LUHGinners

Unread 13-01-2010, 03:10 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by crock
Yes, you're right and I've no problem with that. As Zorg said, the decision wasn't United or FC, it was stay or go. I respect the decisions everybody made at that time, either way.

The problem is, there is still a nagging part of me saying 'could we have done more'. I think we could, on both sides of the divide. A genuine show of strength with a boycott would (IMO) have had a major effect. I also think that to some extent, we allowed it become a 'USA' thing rather than focusing on the financials at the time. The vast majority of the media portrayed it as anti American ownership rather than anti-debt. I can only speak for myself but I couldn't really have given a shit if our new owners were from Mars (that's the nature of a plc) as long they had the cash and didn't expect the supporters to buy it for them.
I agree, but what else could have been done? Apart from more people boycotting, the only other action that would have had an effect would have involved getting a criminal record, which I don't think most people would be prepared to accept.

Perhaps there are other, legal, things that could have been done? Would 5,000 people singing outside OT have achieved anything whilst the stadium was full and most mega@#%&! muppets walked past gawping, with no idea what we were upset about? Maybe I'm wrong and being too cynical, maybe we could have done something to stop the takeover and make them run away to Florida, but I don't know what and I still haven't heard a good suggestion.

There's also the fact that for many of us, it wasn't just Glazer we were walking away from, it was the whole modern match-going experience being total £#%&!.

Unread 13-01-2010, 03:16 PM
Fuzzy Dunlop

Quote:
LUHGinners
Still got one of those badges from the Dunlop Ginners war of 2008/9

Unread 13-01-2010, 03:17 PM
Ginners

Quote:
yeah ive still got a couple, very well made actually.

Unread 13-01-2010, 03:19 PM
believe

Thumbs up Re: Worried about the debt at United ? What are YOU going to do about it?

Quote:
I still wear mine.

Unread 13-01-2010, 03:36 PM
crock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
I agree, but what else could have been done? Apart from more people boycotting, the only other action that would have had an effect would have involved getting a criminal record, which I don't think most people would be prepared to accept. .
I think a bigger/longer boycott was the only thing we could have done that would have any effect. Money was the only thing that could have frightened the Glazers off.

The problem is that for all we were vocal with our protests and grafted our %@#$&!s off trying to conjure up more support for shareholders united etc, we were in a minority. My rhetorical question was more along the lines of could we have done more to help persuade the majority to fight (ie boycott). And could we (and I include myself here) have done more to support shareholders united long before the yanks were on the horizon, which would have given us more of a chance to fight it off.

A lot of people did sign up for a £20 a month or similar direct debit for shares at the time but it was all too late unfortunately. If all those people (and more) had been doing that from the time we became a plc, we wouldn't have been in that position.