United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 04-07-2010, 09:55 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
if only fergie had been there to sort out the drinking culture and all the rest of it.
by the rest if it, presumably you mean the shit players outside the handful you've mentioned?

if robson had stayed fit, united would have won the league a couple of times in the 80s and england would have won the world cup.

Unread 04-07-2010, 09:57 PM
Zorg

Quote:
big norman ahead and paul mcgrath behind, frightening as £#%&!

the side we had in the 80s could have been one of the great ones imo. if only fergie had been there to sort out the drinking culture and all the rest of it.
Yep. Strachan was class in his day, though his heart wasn't in it in his last season or two. Then there was Hughes, of course, Kevin Moran, Albiston, Gary Bailey, and not forgetting the great Graeme Hogg.

They had the makings of a fantastic side but were sadly more interested in getting pissed, shame really.

Unread 04-07-2010, 09:59 PM
Switching Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
Yep. Strachan was class in his day, though his heart wasn't in it in his last season or two. Then there was Hughes, of course, Kevin Moran, Albiston, Gary Bailey, and not forgetting the great Graeme Hogg.

They had the makings of a fantastic side but were sadly more interested in getting pissed, shame really.
Dont forget Billy Garton. Ended up at Witton

Unread 04-07-2010, 10:01 PM
carlosartorial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switching Off
Dont forget Billy Garton. Ended up at Witton
What has Billy Garton got to do with that lot?

Unread 04-07-2010, 10:03 PM
borsuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg

jesper olsen was ace as well. bit of a puff but i loved his penalties. at first, anyway.

Unread 04-07-2010, 10:11 PM
carlosartorial

Thumbs up

Quote:
jesper olsen was ace as well. bit of a puff but i loved his penalties. at first, anyway.
Remember the excitement when it was announced we were signing him? News broke in about March 84 that he'd be coming that August - talk about hotly anticipated, I recall Football focus doing almost an entire show dedicated to him.

With him, Strachan and Alan Brazil we were surely gonna win it.

Unread 04-07-2010, 10:20 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Can't believe I forgot Olsen, I had 11 on my shirt too.

Unread 04-07-2010, 11:17 PM
borsuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosartorial
Remember the excitement when it was announced we were signing him? News broke in about March 84 that he'd be coming that August - talk about hotly anticipated, I recall Football focus doing almost an entire show dedicated to him.

With him, Strachan and Alan Brazil we were surely gonna win it.
alan £#%&!ing brazil that was his full name, wasn't it?

loved jesper. loved that whole denmark side of the 80s tbh. except john sivebaek.

Unread 04-07-2010, 11:25 PM
naes_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman

been sat here ages watching that over and over again.

Unread 05-07-2010, 09:45 AM
KickAssMoves

IMO one of the most underrated footballers of all time, should be talked about in similar circles as charlton, maradona, pele etc

Injuries and a shocking united team around him stopped that repuation imo.

Just a genius.

Unread 05-07-2010, 10:11 AM
The taste of...

I was there when BFR had him sat at a desk on the pitch signing on under that perm. Having seen all Keane's contribution I'd have them level tbh.

Robbo did carry lesser players but it could be argued Keane had to drive millionaires who had already won it all. Who runs he risk of being more unpopular with the team?

Robbo put in big shifts to win us FA Cups down the years, Keane weighs in with Juve 99 and the contribution to the Treble

I've also said before Keane would demand standards and application from the younger players.......Robbo would have taken them on the piss.

Perfect player for us at the time though just like Buchan held us together in a lot of the 70's.

Early nineties were different as we began to get class all over the pitch- then we needed an Eric. Then Keane came into his own to demand it continued

Unread 05-07-2010, 10:13 AM
carlosartorial

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by The taste of...
I was there when BFR had him sat at a desk on the pitch signing on under that perm. Having seen all Keane's contribution I'd have them level tbh.

Robbo did carry lesser players but it could be argued Keane had to drive millionaires who had already won it all. Who runs he risk of being more unpopular with the team?

Robbo put in big shifts to win us FA Cups down the years, Keane weighs in with Juve 99 and the contribution to the Treble

I've also said before Keane would demand standards and application from the younger players.......Robbo would have taken them on the piss.

Perfect player for us at the time though just like Buchan in the 70's
Good post.

Unread 05-07-2010, 10:43 AM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
robson doesn't deserve to be compared to platini. or keane for that matter.

he deserves to be compared to duncan edwards and that's about it. I loved keane, but the idea that he is in robson's class is a bit ridiculous.
was Robbo as consistent as Keane? Seeing as Keane really was the epitome of consistency and all...

Unread 05-07-2010, 10:45 AM
Arnold Muhren

And for Keane against Juve in 99 read Robbo against Barcelona in 84. Two nil down after the first leg and Barca with an in his prime Maradona in their ranks. Robbo bossed the game, Maradona didn't get a kick, Robbo scored twice in a 3-2 win and got carried off the pitch on the fans shoulders. Greatest Euro night I've ever had at OT.

Unread 05-07-2010, 10:49 AM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnold Muhren
And for Keane against Juve in 99 read Robbo against Barcelona in 84. Two nil down after the first leg and Barca with an in his prime Maradona in their ranks. Robbo bossed the game, Maradona didn't get a kick, Robbo scored twice in a 3-2 win and got carried off the pitch on the fans shoulders. Greatest Euro night I've ever had at OT.
Still gives me goosebumps, that game

Unread 05-07-2010, 10:54 AM
Arnold Muhren

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
Still gives me goosebumps, that game

Indeed

Unread 05-07-2010, 10:56 AM
carlosartorial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman
was Robbo as consistent as Keane? Seeing as Keane really was the epitome of consistency and all...
80s Robbo, yes. Before time and injuries took their toll.

Unread 05-07-2010, 11:05 AM
HarkNowHear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnold Muhren
Possibly the best atmosphere I have ever experienced at OT.

Unread 05-07-2010, 11:09 AM
suedeshoes

He was a pissed-up, one-footed crock and he was still the best midfielder in Europe. Captain Marvel.

Unread 05-07-2010, 11:27 AM
dunk

If I could put either Robbo or Keane at their peak in the current team, it would be Robbo everytime.

Just what we are lacking.
Closed Thread