United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 26-01-2012, 03:27 PM
Argentina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginners
so you cant be clever unless you read (fictional) books?
It would help it you could define stupid. One is 'having the characteristics of mental dullness', which if you think watching a film is better than reading the book usually leads me to this conclusion for the reasons I stated above about the book inspiring imagination rather than being told what is happening through the interpretation of someone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimson
You've picked two children's books, dunkers.

shut up ffs.
Dunkers? And To Kill a Mocking Bird is suitably grown up. You could easily argue Count of Monte Cristo is a child's book.

Unread 26-01-2012, 03:29 PM
Grimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argentina
Dunkers? And To Kill a Mocking Bird is suitably grown up. You could easily argue Count of Monte Cristo is a child's book.
Sorry, edited.

TKAM is young adult at best. Nothing wrong with that, it's very well done.

Unread 26-01-2012, 03:30 PM
Ginners

Quote:
It would help it you could define stupid. One is 'having the characteristics of mental dullness', which if you think watching a film is better than reading the book usually leads me to this conclusion for the reasons I stated above about the book inspiring imagination rather than being told what is happening through the interpretation of someone else.
Quote:
stu·pid/ˈst(y)o͞opid/
Adjective:
Lacking intelligence or common sense.
i dont think anyone could say that about me. i would put myself in the top10% of intelligent people on here

a lack of imagination does not mean someone is stupid.

Unread 26-01-2012, 03:31 PM
no fun

Quote:
i dont think anyone could say that about me. i would put myself in the top10% of intelligent people on here
thats like saying you're the third best looking bloke in middleton ffs

Unread 26-01-2012, 03:32 PM
Fuzzy Dunlop

Quote:

He has a point and he really knows his shit about celebs.

Not so sharp when it comes to films/football though.

Unread 26-01-2012, 03:33 PM
Argentina

Quote:

You've taken one definition and I've taken another.
Your inability to consider another definition is making you look a bit stupid here, by the definition you just provided

Ginners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy Dunlop
Not so sharp when it comes to films/football though.

Ginners

Quote:
You've taken one definition and I've taken another.
Your inability to countenance another definition is making you look a bit stupid here, by the definition you just provided
no offence argie as i do like you, but arent you a soccer coach for teenage girls? not exaclty professor at harvard are you?

Unread 26-01-2012, 03:35 PM
Fuzzy Dunlop

Quote:
no offence argie as i do like you, but arent you a soccer coach for teenage girls? not exaclty professor at harvard are you?
is that were all those threesomes come from

Unread 26-01-2012, 03:36 PM
armchair

I know quite a few intelligent people who refuse to read fiction books. I stopped regularly reading fiction in my early 20s as I'd read all the good ones by that stage.

Crumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by no fun
Pure?

Zorg

Ginners, would you rather read a book or watch a black and white / foreign film?

armchair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
Ginners, would you rather read a book or watch a black and white / foreign film?
watching a foreign film IS reading a book

Unread 26-01-2012, 03:37 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
watching a foreign film IS reading a book
Good point

Black and white / old then.

Unread 26-01-2012, 03:37 PM
forwardirektion

Quote:
no offence argie arent you a soccer coach for teenage girls?

Unread 26-01-2012, 03:38 PM
Fuzzy Dunlop

Quote:
I know quite a few intelligent people who refuse to read fiction books. I stopped regularly reading fiction in my early 20s as I'd read all the good ones by that stage.
That's good but ginners hasn't read any of them and he reads sports/celeb biogs. his favourite book is jade goody's

Unread 26-01-2012, 03:38 PM
Ginners

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
thats like asking would you rather do your mum or dad

presuming you mean fictional book as i did say i dont have a problem with some books, then i would probably choose a black and white film in english

Unread 26-01-2012, 03:41 PM
Argentina

Quote:
Cheers mate, although someone's job isn't an indicator of intelligence or a sign of a lack of it. Anyway, intelligence can come under many different guises.
I know people with sharp intellectual minds (in particular surgeons for some reason) who have zero common sense, emotional intelligence or social intelligence.

Likewise I know people who struggled in school but who can see opportunities to make money because they are intelligent in other ways, amongst other types of intelligence.

Quote:
I read more non-fiction than fiction. Far more in fact. I only read a fiction book if it's really engrossing.

Unread 26-01-2012, 03:44 PM
Zorg

Quote:
I know people with sharp intellectual minds ... who have zero common sense, emotional intelligence or social intelligence.

Unread 26-01-2012, 03:49 PM
irk

Quote:
Originally Posted by no fun
that simply means you have teeth
Closed Thread