United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 17-02-2009, 12:01 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger
Why's that?
It certainly isn;t because despite his level of skill he is a bit lightweight and disappears for long periods of games and that overall he's at about the level he should be, that's for sure.

Unread 17-02-2009, 12:05 PM
ONESMARTBADGER

Quote:
Originally Posted by sullers
We don't need anyone

We're onto win 5 titles. It's like Koppas having Benzema in his avatar...just smacks of wanting perfection.
smacks of wanting a player in the squad who looks a tad turkish like him

Unread 17-02-2009, 12:06 PM
Whalefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollowman
nope. we need another one. one that scores

its hilarious really that you look at our team and think 'we need an attacking midfielder'

a striker if anything.

our squad is full and almost faultless.

the current squad including tevez has everything we need. i would settle for us not even needing to sign a player until 2011.
No what I said was we could do with a serious goal threat from the middle of the park. We don't have one currently. It's quite possible Anderson may turn out to be that player but I'll be £#%&!ing surprised if he ever chips in with 10+ goals a season.

I'm aware we need a more dynamic striker to lead the line but that's mainly because the current trio at Utd all play too deep - some are far better suited to that role than others too so one may be expendable I dunno.

There's no £#%&!ing way I'd be comfortable with Tevez playing as a number 9 since his lack of pace is a real handicap. If you've got yards on a player as slow as Corluka for example and are still being beaten to a good pass then it's not ideal. As a striker playing off a more mobile centre forward he's fine. So yes, a pacey forward in the Summer please but I feel that'll be a replacement for Tevez more than anything else. I hope not.

Unread 17-02-2009, 12:09 PM
borsuk

Quote:
modric is one of the best in europe. an brilliant player.
utter %@#$&!s

young kid with plenty of potential. one of the best in europe? arf.

a midfielder able to do consistently what giggs has been doing for us is exactly what we need. rooney and tevez can both play further up the pitch, as rooney in particular has demonstrated this season as his partnership with berbatov has begun to blossom.

diego would be a quality addition to our squad imo

obligatory bunch of youtube shit:

edit - one more

Unread 17-02-2009, 12:10 PM
Whalefish

Oh and fwiw I'd sooner promote from within this Summer before buying anyone. See who leaves first before plugging any gaps with purchases.

Unread 17-02-2009, 12:12 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalefish
Oh and fwiw I'd sooner promote from within this Summer before buying anyone. See who leaves first before plugging any gaps with purchases.
Pacey forward? Welbeck?

Rooney has been pushed up as more of a number 9 in the time leading up to his injury. I honestly think he could be superb up there if we can get him to be more positionally disciplined.

Unread 17-02-2009, 12:13 PM
marlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
utter %@#$&!s

young kid with plenty of potential. one of the best in europe? arf.

a midfielder able to do consistently what giggs has been doing for us is exactly what we need. rooney and tevez can both play further up the pitch, as rooney in particular has demonstrated this season as his partnership with berbatov has begun to blossom.

when did rooney and berbs partnership 'blossom' could you provide me with a run of games that back that statement up?

also you say rooney and tevez can play further forward meaning you would put them out of position slightly to accommodate a attacking midfielder who would be taking up similar positions to berbatov

could you 'bless' me with your formation with diego in the team. im intrigues by this.

Pete's Shoes

Quote:
No what I said was we could do with a serious goal threat from the middle of the park. We don't have one currently. It's quite possible Anderson may turn out to be that player but I'll be £#%&!ing surprised if he ever chips in with 10+ goals a season.

I'm aware we need a more dynamic striker to lead the line but that's mainly because the current trio at Utd all play too deep - some are far better suited to that role than others too so one may be expendable I dunno.

There's no £#%&!ing way I'd be comfortable with Tevez playing as a number 9 since his lack of pace is a real handicap. If you've got yards on a player as slow as Corluka for example and are still being beaten to a good pass then it's not ideal. As a striker playing off a more mobile centre forward he's fine. So yes, a pacey forward in the Summer please but I feel that'll be a replacement for Tevez more than anything else. I hope not.

TBF I think Wellbeck fills the criteria you're looking for and he will figure more and more.

Baron

Quote:

I'm aware we need a more dynamic striker to lead the line but that's mainly because the current trio at Utd all play too deep. There's no £#%&!ing way I'd be comfortable with Tevez playing as a number 9 since his lack of pace is a handicap. If you've got yards on a player as slow as Corluka for example and are still being beaten to a good pass then it's not ideal. As a striker playing off a more mobile centre forward he's fine. So yes, a pacey forward in the Summer please but I feel that'll be a replacement for Tevez more than anything else. I hope not.
if the choice was Tevez, or that pacy striker given the options we have - so long as it was someone ridiculous like Benzema or Villa etc I'd take it. But that's the only level of player I'd consider losing him for. I honestly think Rooney - when fit & in form, playing up top, will transform the way the side plays.

I'd happily take a goal scoring midfielder, a player that arrives late, a young Paul Scholes - or someone like Lampard that bangs in 20 year in, year out. I don't give a flying £#%&! if he's a tubby sky-pointing @#%&!opotomus, he scores goals & can pass. The rest of the team can make us look pretty, the midfield needs to take some of the pressure off the forwards. Nani has 6 this season, he reaches double figures & we're on our way to finding some kind of solution to the issue of depending on Ronaldo's haul.

Unread 17-02-2009, 12:17 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
when did rooney and berbs partnership 'blossom' could you provide me with a run of games that back that statement up?

also you say rooney and tevez can play further forward meaning you would put them out of position slightly to accommodate a attacking midfielder who would be taking up similar positions to berbatov

could you 'bless' me with your formation with diego in the team. im intrigues by this.
I don't think Tevez can play further forward, bit too slow as Whalers pointed out. i don't think playing Rooney further forwrad is necassarily playing him out of position, certainly not to the extent playing him wide so much last season was, could be the making of him imo. As to having an attacking midfielder with a player playing off a striker, seemed to work well with Dwight Yorke playing off Cole and Scholes in midfield, won a treble or summat?

Unread 17-02-2009, 12:18 PM
borsuk

Quote:
when did rooney and berbs partnership 'blossom' could you provide me with a run of games that back that statement up? yes, i could. we both know there's no point, though, don't we.

also you say rooney and tevez can play further forward meaning you would put them out of position slightly to accommodate a attacking midfielder who would be taking up similar positions to berbatov nope. i mean rooney play up top ahead of berbatov, as fergie said earlier this season, and as he was doing before the injury.

could you 'bless' me with your formation with diego in the team. im intrigues by this. against who? when? who is injured? who is in form? is the concept of a squad too difficult for you?
can't see bremen letting diego go, tbh, for anything other than some ridiculous sum. pity.

edit

re rooney up top, here's fergie's opinion

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/f...ss-874801.html

as i've said many times before, i think rooney's best position is as a genuine striker, where the dynamism and physicality of his game can be most effective.

Unread 17-02-2009, 12:18 PM
Fuzzy Dunlop

What is Tevez's best position, and what's the story with Tosic?

Unread 17-02-2009, 12:19 PM
marlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonin jablonsky
I don't think Tevez can play further forward, bit too slow as Whalers pointed out. i don't think playing Rooney further forwrad is necassarily playing him out of position, certainly not to the extent playing him wide so much last season was, could be the making of him imo. As to having an attacking midfielder with a player playing off a striker, seemed to work well with Dwight Yorke playing off Cole and Scholes in midfield, won a treble or summat?
we didnt have a winger at the time who is our best goal scorer, striker and main attacking threat who scores more goals that our strikers.(maybe even combined)

Unread 17-02-2009, 12:20 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy Dunlop
What is Tevez's best position, and what's the story with Tosic?
A sort of midfield ball winner innit?

Unread 17-02-2009, 12:21 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
we didnt have a winger at the time who is our best goal scorer, striker and main attacking threat who scores more goals that our strikers.(maybe even combined)
OK, not sure what point you are making there? How eaxctly does that affect things?

Unread 17-02-2009, 12:22 PM
marlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonin jablonsky
OK, not sure what point you are making there? How eaxctly does that affect things?
because we have an 'attacking' midfielder in ronaldo.

if we bring in an attacking midfielder this would affect ronaldo and have him hugging the touchline.

simple really.

Unread 17-02-2009, 12:23 PM
Pete's Shoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron_van_Marlon
I'd happily take a goal scoring midfielder, a player that arrives late, a young Paul Scholes - or someone like Lampard that bangs in 20 year in, year out. I don't give a flying £#%&! if he's a tubby sky-pointing @#%&!opotomus, he scores goals & can pass. The rest of the team can make us look pretty, the midfield needs to take some of the pressure off the forwards. Nani has 6 this season, he reaches double figures & we're on our way to finding some kind of solution to the issue of depending on Ronaldo's haul.
I've watched the reserves quite a bit this season and the Italian kid Macheda is capable of doing that in my opinion. He can play behind a main striker or midfield,

Unread 17-02-2009, 12:25 PM
Whalefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete's Shoes
I've watched the reserves quite a bit this season and the Italian kid Macheda is capable of doing that in my opinion. He can play behind a main striker or midfield,
Petrucci?

Unread 17-02-2009, 12:26 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Petrucci?
I think that's right, Macheda is more the target man no?

Unread 17-02-2009, 12:29 PM
Pete's Shoes

Quote:
Petrucci?
Sorry meant him - yeah.

Got my Italians mixed up , Macheda is decent tho.
Closed Thread