United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 13-03-2016, 08:43 AM
denis lawless

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumps
Rattled? Behave and should your b***h mouth.

Unread 13-03-2016, 08:56 AM
Red Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Redface
I partly agree, but I do think winning the league every year with great players and great games has its part to play

I watch far less football the older I get because, well, I'm busy. I work late and don't always have time to watch us and often the time I do have, I don't want to spend getting frustrated, pissed off or bored.

I still get the same gurn from the big goals and nervous before big game, but the days are gone when it would dominate my week or weekend.

I'm far more animated on here than I am in real life. I enjoy it when we win and move on as quickly as possible when we lose. TV off, go do something else. Why people watch us lose and then go and watch Liverpool straight afterwards or something, I've no idea.

I find it rather sad when I see guys in their 30s, 40s Nd 50s saying how a game has 'ruined their week'. Really? Your week has nothing in it more important than that??

Pretty much most of this for me as I used to be pissed off for a day or two when we lost but now it's just an hour or two.
I think footballers themselves haven't helped with their total greed and Disconection from fans along with the game being run by the likes of sky and BT(moving the fa cup final to 5.30 or whatever it is)

I know it'll never happen but get back 3.pm Saturday afternoon kickoffs for a start with pay per view for fans that can't get a ticket)this is then Saturday's for football thus freeing Sunday for something else

Cloud cuckoo land above I know but today I think there's just too much football on TV and a lot of screened games have half empty stadiums

players should have performance related pay in some form(world wide)

Unread 13-03-2016, 08:56 AM
irk

People have already nailed the changes that have happened but the driving factor is profit. Big money has ruined football. It used to be a sport and now it's a global business. It used to be run (in the main) by football people now it's infested with business @#%&!s like Woodward.

As a kid I remember being amazed that a stall holder in Morocco had heard of United and wanted my badge in payment rather than money. the teams with glamour had global reach and my local club was one of them. The guy was was all "Bobby charlton" and smiling his head off. It made me so proud that even in this shithole they had heard of my local team's glorious exploits. We had peter davenport up front at that point. He never got a mention curiously enough. And this was before Knighton was going to buy us for the eye watering amount of £20 million pounds.

At that point united were to be a big football club with a souvenir shop more akin to a Blackpool seafront outlet selling cheap United ashtrays and key rings and was reliant on supporters to pay the wages. Contrast with what we have now - a giant of a corporate business owned by US businessmen less ethical than Mortimer and his pal from trading places that hawks a product to media and other corporate businesses to sponsor. And it's not just us.

Seduced by the stacks of cash being thrown their way the authorities have bent over backwards to take as much jeopardy out of the game to this business model to flourish devaluing (in football terms) many of the domestic and international competitions.

No one cares about the league cup. The FA cup is a shadow of its former self - no replays, the final no longer the showpiece domestic fixture. In modern football the income of fourth place in the league is a greater prize than the glory of victory. Teams that get a place in the utterly pointless Europa league enter weakened teams to ensure that they don't drop points in the domestic league so that they can secure a spot in next year's competition that they don't want to win. It's all about the money. The champions league is a misnomer. And a neverending parade with no chance of a real upset. Once glorious clubs such as Ajax are reduced to the status of minnows. It's a battle of the balance sheets.

Football's priorities have changed and money changed them. It's an insanely profitable global corporate business with all the marketing and PR bullshit and all the attendant #@&%!s that comes with it. From £#%&!wit bloggers to psychopathic agents all trying in the modern way to monetise some aspect of it.

It's a sad and inevitable result of the power of capital.

And bring back tackling.

Unread 13-03-2016, 09:00 AM
Red Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by VodkaAndCoke
I was 20 in '86 and was gutted for weeks after the 'Hand of God'. Italia 90 was also a sickener but after that my interest in England slowly started to wane. Nothing about being a TopRed, I genuinely began to hate the whole 'England' thing. I honestly couldn't care less about International football nowadays and don't really watch any of it on TV. I'll catch parts of the odd games at a World cup but it doesn't interest me in the slightest.
You watched football through the same era(s)as me(I turned 21 in 86)and I agree with the above post but I thought England 2002-2006 was worth watching and should have bagged a trophy

Unread 13-03-2016, 09:07 AM
Spock

Quote:
Originally Posted by irk
People have already nailed the changes that have happened but the driving factor is profit. Big money has ruined football. It used to be a sport and now it's a global business. It used to be run (in the main) by football people now it's infested with business @#%&!s like Woodward.

As a kid I remember being amazed that a stall holder in Morocco had heard of United and wanted my badge in payment rather than money. the teams with glamour had global reach and my local club was one of them. The guy was was all "Bobby charlton" and smiling his head off. It made me so proud that even in this shithole they had heard of my local team's glorious exploits. We had peter davenport up front at that point. He never got a. Entire curiously enough. And this was before Knighton was going to buy us for the eye watering amount of £20 million pounds.

At that point united were to be a big football club with a souvenir shop more akin to a Blackpool seafront outlet selling cheap United ashtrays and key rings and was reliant on supporters to pay the wages. Contrast with what we have now a giant of a corporate business owned by US businessmen less ethical than Mortimer and his pal from trading places that hawks a product to media a media and other corporate businesses to sponsor. And it's not just us.

Seduced by the stacks of cash being thrown their way the authorities have bent over backwards to take as much jeopardy out of the game to this business model to flourish devaluing (in football terms) many of the domestic and international competitions.

No one cares about the league cup. The FA cup is a shadow of its former self - no replays, the final no longer the showpiece domestic fixture. In modern football the income of fourth place in the league is a greater prize than the glory of victory. Teams that get a place in the utterly pointless Europa league enter weakened teams to ensure that they don't drop points in the domestic league so that they can secure a spot in next year's years competition that they don't want to win. It's all about the money. The champions league is a misnomer. And a neverending parade with no chance of a real upset. Once glorious clubs such as Ajax are reduced to the status of minnows. It's a battle of the balance sheets.

Football's priorities have changed and money changed them. It's an insanely profitable global corporate business with all the marketing and PR bullshit and all the attendant #@&%!s that it comes with it. From £#%&!wit bloggers to psychopathic agents all trying in the modern way to monetise some aspect of it.

And bring back tackling.
nailed it, great post, this exactly

Unread 13-03-2016, 09:13 AM
waynes ear's

Quote:
Originally Posted by irk

As a kid I remember being amazed that a stall holder in Morocco had heard of United and wanted my badge in payment rather than money. the teams with glamour had global reach and my local club was one of them. The guy was was all "Bobby charlton" and smiling his head off. It made me so proud that even in this shithole they had heard of my local team's glorious exploits. We had peter davenport up front at that point. He never got a. Entire curiously enough. And this was before Knighton was going to buy us for the eye watering amount of £20 million pounds.

At that point united were to be a big football club with a souvenir shop more akin to a Blackpool seafront outlet selling cheap United ashtrays and key rings and was reliant on supporters to pay the wages. Contrast with what we have now a giant of a corporate business owned by US businessmen less ethical than Mortimer and his pal from trading places that hawks a product to media a media and other corporate businesses to sponsor. And it's not just us.

No one cares about the league cup. The FA cup is a shadow of its former self - no replays, the final no longer the showpiece domestic fixture. In modern football the income of fourth place in the league is a greater prize than the glory of victory. Teams that get a place in the utterly pointless Europa league enter weakened teams to ensure that they don't drop points in the domestic league so that they can secure a spot in next year's years competition that they don't want to win. It's all about the money. The champions league is a misnomer. And a neverending parade with no chance of a real upset. Once glorious clubs such as Ajax are reduced to the status of minnows. It's a battle of the balance sheets.

Football's priorities have changed and money changed them. It's an insanely profitable global corporate business with all the marketing and PR bullshit and all the attendant #@&%!s that it comes with it. From £#%&!wit bloggers to psychopathic agents all trying in the modern way to monetise some aspect of it.

And bring back tackling.
Unread 13-03-2016, 09:29 AM
denis lawless

Quote:
Originally Posted by irk
People have already nailed the changes that have happened but the driving factor is profit. Big money has ruined football. It used to be a sport and now it's a global business. It used to be run (in the main) by football people now it's infested with business c***s like Woodward.

And bring back tackling.
Truth nuke of Hiroshima proportions.....and also the reason why we have believe in our "hall of fame" and not irk

Unread 13-03-2016, 09:57 AM
Pop

Its the money side of the game that has robbed it of its soul and that filters down to the players who to a man come across as complete and utter £#%&!ing @#%&!s. I £#%&!ing hate pretty much all of them, the soft arsed pampered #@&%!s.

Unread 13-03-2016, 10:06 AM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by irk

As a kid I remember being amazed that a stall holder in Morocco had heard of United and wanted my badge in payment rather than money. the teams with glamour had global reach and my local club was one of them. The guy was was all "Bobby charlton" and smiling his head off. It made me so proud that even in this shithole they had heard of my local team's glorious exploits. We had peter davenport up front at that point. He never got a mention curiously enough. And this was before Knighton was going to buy us for the eye watering amount of £20 million pounds.

At that point united were to be a big football club with a souvenir shop more akin to a Blackpool seafront outlet selling cheap United ashtrays and key rings and was reliant on supporters to pay the wages. Contrast with what we have now - a giant of a corporate business owned by US businessmen less ethical than Mortimer and his pal from trading places that hawks a product to media and other corporate businesses to sponsor. And it's not just us.

No one cares about the league cup. The FA cup is a shadow of its former self - no replays, the final no longer the showpiece domestic fixture. In modern football the income of fourth place in the league is a greater prize than the glory of victory. Teams that get a place in the utterly pointless Europa league enter weakened teams to ensure that they don't drop points in the domestic league so that they can secure a spot in next year's competition that they don't want to win. It's all about the money. The champions league is a misnomer. And a neverending parade with no chance of a real upset. Once glorious clubs such as Ajax are reduced to the status of minnows. It's a battle of the balance sheets.

And bring back tackling.

That is a monumentally good post.

I'd also add that the sponsoring of the FA Cup, which dragged it down to the level of the Rumbelows Cup. I don't bother with the final now, it's an absolute mess. People from marketing and finance who don't even like football got their claws into the game years ago and have ruined it.

Unread 13-03-2016, 10:08 AM
andyroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Al
You watched football through the same era(s)as me(I turned 21 in 86)and I agree with the above post but I thought England 2002-2006 was worth watching and should have bagged a trophy
Absolutely. That Gerrard-Lampard nonsense £#%&!ed it.

Unread 13-03-2016, 10:10 AM
Jez Quigley

Thumbs down

Shit post by Irk, the Middleton Morocco Mole.

Morocco? Morocco?

Ruined football for me that post has.

Unread 13-03-2016, 10:14 AM
andyroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jez Quigley

Morocco? Morocco?

Fez Quigley

Unread 13-03-2016, 10:26 AM
Knockers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jez Quigley

Morocco? Morocco?

Who from Manchester went to Morocco in the 80s? Irk is well bourgeois. Swanning round the souk with his pin badges like a millionaire.

Unread 13-03-2016, 10:26 AM
Jez Quigley

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo
Fez Quigley
Always a Tommy Cooper fan

Unread 13-03-2016, 10:36 AM
forzagarza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knockers
Who from Manchester went to Morocco in the 80s? Irk is well bourgeois. Swanning round the souk with his pin badges like a millionaire.
There's a long history of gay and bi literary types escaping oppression to fulfil their desires, albeit discreetly, in Morocco. Obviously times have changed since but irk literally did get involved in the back end of that part of history.

Unread 13-03-2016, 10:37 AM
Jez Quigley

Quote:
This.

He and Cream were the Jeeves and Wooster of Middleton. Lording it over the poor Moroccans giving it all that. Waving scarves in their terrified faces, bigging up Ashley Grimes. Imperialists of the worst kind.

Casablanca? Of all the threads in all of the world, he had to post in this one

Quote:
Originally Posted by forzagarza
There's a long history of gay and bi literary types escaping oppression to fulfil their desires, albeit discreetly, in Morocco. Obviously times have changed since but irk literally did get involved in the back end of that part of history.
Didn't Rnaldo recently reveal he was frequently flying to Morocco for relaxation with his kickboxing mate??

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Unread 13-03-2016, 10:46 AM
eusker

Irk has absolutely nailed it.

When I was 14 I could get to every home game and most Saturday away games on my paper round plus pocket money. My kids will probably never go to an away game.

Unread 13-03-2016, 10:46 AM
irk

Quote:
Day trip to Ceuta from Gibraltar while we were on our holiday in fuengirola. Although the locals apparently found my pale 14 year old skin very attractive and wanted to buy me and bum me.

Unread 13-03-2016, 11:24 AM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by irk
Day trip to Ceuta from Gibraltar while we were on our holiday in fuengirola. Although the locals apparently found my pale 14 year old skin very attractive and wanted to buy me and bum me.
So you distracted them by offering your pin badge? Nice thinking.
Yes yes, Bobby Charlton... Colin Gibson.... ruuuun!

Unread 13-03-2016, 11:26 AM
Mr_Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo
Absolutely. That Gerrard-Lampard nonsense £#%&!ed it.
Yep putting Scholes on the left wing?! Madness.
Closed Thread