United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 05-02-2016, 08:34 PM
ashtonred

Default The quality of Premier League football IS truly shit

So, got a call this morning from my Spanish football mate - wanted to meet for a beer to chew the footy fat.

Anyway, Jullen loves footy and follows the Premier League. Cut to the chase - he asked the question "Where would ŽLestersherŽ City be now in La Liga? Penny dropped - "Mid-table at best" was my response.
No-one can argue with that.

Unread 05-02-2016, 08:37 PM
redhegemony

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashtonred
So, got a call this morning from my Spanish football mate - wanted to meet for a beer to chew the footy fat.

Anyway, Jullen loves footy and follows the Premier League. Cut to the chase - he asked the question "Where would ŽLestersherŽ City be now in La Liga? Penny dropped - "Mid-table at best" was my response.
Especially before a ball's been kicked.

Unread 05-02-2016, 09:11 PM
ScarFace

Quote:

did you feed him?

Unread 05-02-2016, 09:11 PM
Ethers

Quote:
Athletic Bilbao (currently 6th) would bury Leicester.
A couple of years ago maybe, not now.

They played Barca 3 times recently, combined score of 11-2

Absolutely no chance our league is that uncompetitive.

Unread 05-02-2016, 09:19 PM
ashtonred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
A couple of years ago maybe, not now.

They played Barca 3 times recently, combined score of 11-2

Absolutely no chance our league is that uncompetitive.
Exactly. Can you imagine letting Barca loose on Leicester? WeŽll never know.
One thing is for sure. Leicester City would never ever ever top La Liga 5 games into the 2nd half of the season.

Unread 05-02-2016, 09:22 PM
Grimson

Quote:
One thing is for sure. Leicester City would never ever ever top La Liga 5 games into the 2nd half of the season.
But they wouldn't have done that last season in the Premier League, and they won't do it next season. It's been a perfect storm of variables for them - not unlike the years in Spain when Celta de Vigo or Villareal were up near the top at this stage of the season.

In general, of course, I agree with you - the league is pretty shit.

Unread 05-02-2016, 09:26 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimson
But they wouldn't have done that last season in the Premier League, and they won't do it next season. It's been a perfect storm of variables for them - not unlike the years in Spain when Celta de Vigo or Villareal were up near the top at this stage of the season.

Deportiva la currrrrrrunia ring any bells...

Its been a strange English season that's for sure.....actually enjoyable on the main, some absolutely belting games not involving Us..

Oh and WHO CARES ?

Is it a great thing to have the BEST league..

Unread 05-02-2016, 09:27 PM
Clarkie

Could be the worst league in the world for all I care. So long as United win the @#%&!

ashtonred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimson

We got there.

NegativeNorris

Quote:
Real Madrid, Barca and Atletico are far better than anything in England, but as has been mentioned, most of La Liga is utter dogshit. It's embarrassing watching the lower table sides playing Real and Barca. They just get humiliated for 90 minutes, but without either Real or Barca even trying.
Premier League and Bundesliga are both stronger IMO.

Unread 05-02-2016, 09:30 PM
Ethers

Quote:
That wasn't your point though. It's generally accepted that the best teams in La Liga are better than the best teams here.

The drop off in quality over there after the top 3 is incredible though, the biggest I can remember. Whereas over here it's the opposite.

I suppose it depends on your definition of a shit league. Their best is better than our best, yes. If you take the average La Liga team though, absolutely no chance they're significantly better than the average PL side right now

Unread 05-02-2016, 09:30 PM
ziggyman17

for Leicester City see Norwich 1993, remember them beating Munich in Europe, Aston Villa 1994 and so on.... every couple of years throws up a suprise team, the following year they usually end up getting relegated......

Unread 05-02-2016, 09:31 PM
andyroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkie
Could be the worst league in the world for all I care. So long as United win the @#%&!
Yeah. I never get all this "Your league is shite! My league is ace!" stuff. You follow a team not a league.

Unread 05-02-2016, 09:34 PM
ashtonred

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggyman17
for Leicester City see Norwich 1993, remember them beating Munich in Europe, Aston Villa 1994 and so on.... every couple of years throws up a suprise team, the following year they usually end up getting relegated......
But Leicester City have a great chance of winning the PL this season. Did I just say that?
Hey, beat City tomorrow and, and .. errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Unread 05-02-2016, 09:39 PM
ziggyman17

Quote:
But Leicester City have a great chance of winning the PL this season. Did I just say that?
Hey, beat City tomorrow and, and .. errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
like Norwich and Aston Villa in years gone by they have no chance of winning the league, come April they will be luck to be in the top 3..... They will hit a wall and that will be that regarding winning the league.. They have had a great season but they will fall short...........

Unread 05-02-2016, 09:41 PM
NegativeNorris

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo
Yeah. I never get all this "Your league is shite! My league is ace!" stuff. You follow a team not a league.
Fair point, but you wouldn't really enjoy being the top dog in a league like the SPL for instance. A strong league, where any team (apart from Villa) are capable of beating any other, is far more exciting to be part of IMO. Makes winning the league more satisfying, knowing other teams are splurging money left right and centre on transfers, wages and managers etc.
When we win it back next season, it'll be that bit more satisfying knowing we've Ł#%&!ed City over, with their billions, and so called best manager on the planet.

Unread 05-02-2016, 09:43 PM
est.1878

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggyman17
for Leicester City see Norwich
Was just gonna mention that.

they were right in the mix until this

immense

Unread 05-02-2016, 09:50 PM
ashtonred

Quote:
Originally Posted by est.1878

immense
Is right

Unread 05-02-2016, 09:53 PM
celtbion

Quote:
Originally Posted by NegativeNorris
Real Madrid, Barca and Atletico are far better than anything in England, but as has been mentioned, most of La Liga is utter dogshit. It's embarrassing watching the lower table sides playing Real and Barca. They just get humiliated for 90 minutes, but without either Real or Barca even trying.
Premier League and Bundesliga are both stronger IMO.
This

Unread 05-02-2016, 09:55 PM
ashtonred

Quote:
Originally Posted by celtbion
This
PL is where the dollars are. Long may it continue.
Closed Thread