United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 21-02-2017, 11:44 PM
Tumescent Throb

spot on giggs. there's a real dirth of opportunities. can barely name a handful of young british bosses currently being given the chance to shine at any of the top 40 odd clubs in england. in the PL there's clement and howe, so 10% of the clubs.

part of the problem is that the the clubs are swamped with foreign players so it seems more normal to use foreign managers. and foreign managers usually bring their own staff with them as well, so pretty quickly the entire culture changes, first of the clubs, then of the fans, and then of the league itself. we're well down the road by now so hard to see it changing much anytime soon.

Unread 21-02-2017, 11:45 PM
sa7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
Fergie went straight into the second division
Third tier pal.

Unread 21-02-2017, 11:45 PM
Ethers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Quayd
Are there any current top managers that have followed this route?
Of course not.

Football has changed, the idea of the most decorated British footballer of all time having to work their way up from the £#%&!ing fourth tier is £#%&!ing preposterous.

Giggs doesn't deserve to walk into a Premier League job, but I'd certainly say he'd done enough in the game to have a crack at a Championship job given some of the gimps currently managing there

Unread 21-02-2017, 11:46 PM
Chris Quayd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Redface
Most top managers aren't British.

It's not to say they MUST take this route, but they talk like there are no opportunities. There are. You just don't want any of them.
If he wants a top job why would he take a job lower down that doesn't offer any pathway to what he wants?

Unread 21-02-2017, 11:49 PM
Ethers

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa7
Third tier pal.
Nope. East Sterlingshire were in the second division in 1974. Premier division created in 1975.

Know your history pal.

Unread 21-02-2017, 11:50 PM
goldfinger II

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScholesGingerSheen
I know this board boils it's piss at Giggs for whatever reason, but the fact is if he went to some fourth tier team and did well with it, he'd still never be qualified enough for this board to accept him in the United job. If he went to a Swansea or whatever and did a job at a level of Luis Enrique pre Barca (40% win percentage at Roma and Celta) or Mourinho pre Porto (54% with Benfica, 45% iwith Leiria), this board would be full of posts absolutely £#%&!ing raging that he's not qualified for the United job.

The Premier league is obsessed with the idea that only previously successful managers are qualified to manage top clubs.
Completely agree. The easiest managerial job for Giggs would be the United one, which is not to say he could do it. The truth is nobody knows if he could or, despite all the negative comments, if he is any way good or bad as a coach/assistant. How could that possibly be discerned from our position?

Also, he would have to perform miracles at a smaller club to have any hope of being considered as a potential United manager.

He's an awful pundit, though, and a boring one too.

Unread 21-02-2017, 11:56 PM
sa7

Quote:
Nope. East Sterlingshire were in the second division in 1974. Premier division created in 1975.

Know your history pal.
I apologise for my slightly iffy knowledge of 1970s Jock football and where East Stirlingshire were at the time (know your spelling pal )

The actual division is a moot point anyway. The point is he took a job at a club without a pot to piss in and used it as a foundation for his managerial career.

But you're right, Giggs should walk into a massively paid managerial job at a Premier League or Championship club just because he played on the left wing at Man United for 20 years. By all accounts his interview at Swansea was underwhelming to say the least. So it's not that he hasn't had the opportunity to be in consideration, he just wasn't impressive enough to get the job.

He's rapidly becoming another Paul Ince with his moaning about limited opportunities.

Unread 22-02-2017, 12:04 AM
Ethers

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa7
I apologise for my slightly iffy knowledge of 1970s Jock football and where East Stirlingshire were at the time (know your spelling pal )

The actual division is a moot point anyway. The point is he took a job at a club without a pot to piss in and used it as a foundation for his managerial career.

But you're right, Giggs should walk into a massively paid managerial job at a Premier League or Championship club just because he played on the left wing at Man United for 20 years. By all accounts his interview at Swansea was underwhelming to say the least. So it's not that he hasn't had the opportunity to be in consideration, he just wasn't impressive enough to get the job.

He's rapidly becoming another Paul Ince with his moaning about limited opportunities.
Pulling me up on spelling

You tried to pretend you knew what you were talking about, even added a pal, but were wrong. Deal with it.

Never said he should walk into a prem job, maybe try reading my previous posts?!

Regarding his Swansea "interview", by all accounts basically means by the account of the same people that decided on the yank fella and ended up firing him a few games later?

Will probably take their opinion with a pinch of salt tbf

Unread 22-02-2017, 12:08 AM
armchair

I'd have given robbo or keane a crack at the job, maybe even bruce but I just don't think Giggs is a leader.

Unread 22-02-2017, 12:11 AM
Billy Redface

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Quayd
If he wants a top job why would he take a job lower down that doesn't offer any pathway to what he wants?
What's to say it wouldn't offer a pathway to a bigger job?

I'm sure every manager wants a top job. Most of them don't have the playing reputation of Ryan Giggs either.

David Moyes didn't and he landed the top job in the country.

Let's be honest, it's Ryan Giggs. If he did well ANYWHERE, there'd be host of clubs after him. He just wants a top job now. Which is fine, but don't say there aren't any opportunities. There are plenty. They're just not top jobs.

Unread 22-02-2017, 12:15 AM
Zorg

Quote:

Know your history pal.
Now you do not argue with Ethers on 1970s lower league Scotch football

Unread 22-02-2017, 12:16 AM
sa7

Quote:
Pulling me up on spelling

You tried to pretend you knew what you were talking about, even added a pal, but were wrong. Deal with it.

Never said he should walk into a prem job, maybe try reading my previous posts?!

Regarding his Swansea "interview", by all accounts basically means by the account of the same people that decided on the yank fella and ended up firing him a few games later?

Will probably take their opinion with a pinch of salt tbf
Again, the exact League Fergie went into wasn't the point though was it? It was the situation he was taking on at East Stirlingshire. Something you've failed to actually address and opted to be obtuse regarding whether it was the Scottish second or third tier.

Yes, you said Championship, which I acknowledged in my post, maybe try reading mine eh?

The people at Swansea you're talking about are the ones who appoint managers so I would suggest not impressing them during a meeting is a pretty poor start for someone so desperate to prove he can be a great manager. Why was he unable to even fend off competition from Bradley who turned out to be shite? It certainly wasn't because he was a bigger name or had more experience in top level football was it?

And you've still actually failed to elaborate on why you think he deserves to be given a chance at a decent level, bearing in mind the Championship is a very good level to be managing at. What is it about him that means he so richly deserves a crack at a Championship club?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
Now you do not argue with Ethers on 1970s lower league Scotch football
Good advice, feel like I'm slipping into a £#%&!ing coma here

Unread 22-02-2017, 12:21 AM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
What's to say it wouldn't offer a pathway to a bigger job?

I'm sure every manager wants a top job. Most of them don't have the playing reputation of Ryan Giggs either.

David Moyes didn't and he landed the top job in the country.

Let's be honest, it's Ryan Giggs. If he did well ANYWHERE, there'd be host of clubs after him. He just wants a top job now. Which is fine, but don't say there aren't any opportunities. There are plenty. They're just not top jobs.
please list the opportunities he's had to manage any of the teams in the top 2 divisions. what interviews has he had? what were the conditions given? we don't know, do we.

Unread 22-02-2017, 12:24 AM
Billy Redface

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
please list the opportunities he's had to manage any of the teams in the top 2 divisions. what interviews has he had? what were the conditions given? we don't know, do we.
Seeing as I didn't specify 'top two division', I will do no such thing.

Why should he get a job in the top two divisions?

Unread 22-02-2017, 12:34 AM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Seeing as I didn't specify 'top two division', I will do no such thing.

Why should he get a job in the top two divisions?
you're the one saying he shouldn't but that he's had "plenty of opportunities"... what opportunities has he had?

what do you think his level is? top half of division 3? any team in division 4? non-league with the part time plumbers and postmen?

Unread 22-02-2017, 12:44 AM
jem

giggs is about as inspirational as moyes. £#%&! off will he ever be good enough to manage united. no matter where he starts.

let him go to blackburn and see how he does.

Unread 22-02-2017, 12:44 AM
Part 36 Offer

Some of the comments relating to giggs on this forum are shameful.

Absolutely embarrassing. He's the biggest legend the club has ever had in terms of a player. Usual #@&%!heads spouting the same shite...

Unread 22-02-2017, 12:47 AM
thrush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Part 36 Offer
Some of the comments relating to giggs on this forum are shameful.

Absolutely embarrassing. He's the biggest legend the club has ever had in terms of a player. Usual #@&%!heads spouting the same shite...
Bang on the money. Snivelling little £#%&!ers who should be nowhere near United, certainly not passing comment anyway.

Unread 22-02-2017, 12:50 AM
Barcabal

Should of give it Giggs straight after Sir £#%&!...

Unread 22-02-2017, 01:03 AM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barcabal
Should of give it Giggs straight after Sir £#%&!...
Closed Thread