United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 22-05-2018, 09:03 AM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whip Hubley
Presume you're on a wum about Barthez bunks

big pete though... proper miserable bastard. Used to deliver his paper, never had a smile or owt.

Brucey on the other hand.....
I like the guy, top top mad head....

I know he let us down a bit, but he was one cool mother...

Unread 22-05-2018, 09:10 AM
Drexl

Schmikes for me, simply because of his distribution.

Opposition corner? No probs, I'll catch it and throw it to becks on the half way line… who will give it to ruud… GOAL

Unread 22-05-2018, 09:13 AM
Lazlo Panaflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drexl

Opposition corner? No probs, I'll catch it and throw it to becks on the half way line… who will give it to ruud… GOAL
£#%&!ing hell it took a while for that ball to land to Becks. Ruud signed 2 years after the Danish dipstick retired.

Unread 22-05-2018, 09:14 AM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazlo Panaflex
£#%&!ing hell it took a while for that ball to land to Becks. Ruud signed 2 years after the Danish dipstick retired.

Unread 22-05-2018, 09:15 AM
dragflick

Quote:

Unread 22-05-2018, 09:15 AM
Drexl

Quote:
the second after I posted I realised.

It was a great tactic though, playing the ball THROUGH TIME

Unread 22-05-2018, 09:16 AM
Coracao

VDS played behind the greatest defence we have probably had, in a far less gung ho side. Steady, goood organiser and good with his feet but could never rate him above Schmeichel.

DDG is a great shot stopper. Arguably one of the best of all time. Still weak in commanding his area and often takes him an age to distribute, the latter is probably cause no @#%&! moves tho.

Unread 22-05-2018, 09:20 AM
signed dc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
I like the guy, top top mad head....

I know he let us down a bit, but he was one cool mother...
Yeah, I liked him, not that good sadly. Wasn't he married to Linda Evangalista?!

Unread 22-05-2018, 09:26 AM
Lazlo Panaflex

I use to blame barthez for everything.

from madrid 3-1 away, to leverkusen. to the invasion of iraq. That little smoking bald childman was too short to be in goal.

Unread 22-05-2018, 09:30 AM
jaffo

Being a good goalkeeper

Schmeichel
Dave
VDS

Being cool

VDS
Dave
Anyone you care to mention
Schmeichel

Unread 22-05-2018, 09:32 AM
believe

Quote:
I use to blame barthez for everything.

from madrid 3-1 away, to leverkusen. to the invasion of iraq. That little smoking bald childman was too short to be in goal.
Remember that Arsenal game when he passed to Henry twice

Unread 22-05-2018, 09:36 AM
Albert Tatlock

Quote:
been watching a few 90s highlights recently. (this is how it feels to be liverpool)

Schmeichel for me. He was a typical scandi bell. But just a joke when it came to pulling off 1v1 miracles.

what a an utter dork though.
This.

Commanded his box, took almost everything in the air, was a good shot stopper despite his size... and had presence... Most strikers running in on goal one on one with the Great Dane were never confident of getting the ball past him. They always thought twice instead of going on instinct and ultimately didn't score because of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drexl

...and this... except it was Neville and Beckham on the wing then the cross came in to Sheringham, Cole, Ole or Harvey's dad

Unread 22-05-2018, 10:08 AM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Tatlock
This.

Commanded his box, took almost everything in the air, was a good shot stopper despite his size... and had presence... Most strikers running in on goal one on one with the Great Dane were never confident of getting the ball past him. They always thought twice instead of going on instinct and ultimately didn't score because of it.

...and this... except it was Neville and Beckham on the wing then the cross came in to Sheringham, Cole, Ole or Harvey's dad
Kanchelskis and Giggs were his primary targets iirc

Unread 22-05-2018, 10:17 AM
Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whip Hubley
In the last 2 decades we've had, for me, 3 of the greatest of all time - VDS I still feel was hugely underrated. It's not all about 1 on 1's and incredible shot stopping.

Where's grimmers when you need him

Les was always my GK hero growing up though
VDS had maybe the best characteristics of the other two.

Won everything.

Could just be the best of the bunch...

Unread 22-05-2018, 10:26 AM
Albert Tatlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
Kanchelskis and Giggs were his primary targets iirc
In the beginning yes

Unread 22-05-2018, 10:46 AM
no fun

schmiecel...great presence, could intimidate forwards

Vds....technically perfect, calming influence

De gea... best shot stopper, great distribution

However, Jeff, if I have to pick one......de gea

Unread 22-05-2018, 11:00 AM
Lazlo Panaflex

I have to give de Gea credit for staying at that level, even after he was so close to getting his big move to madrid.

can't really blame a spanish keeper for wanting to go to madrid. Especially in contrast to the direction & state we are in.

he even signed !

imagine waiting for the final confirmation but they tell you're stuck with your old employers. Who will finish 6th while your supposed new side win back 2 back champions leagues.

Unread 22-05-2018, 11:13 AM
sa7

3 brilliant keepers. We'd be lucky to have had one as good as them never mind three. All different too which makes for such a good debate.

Van Der Sar for me though. Obviously Dave is a paranormally good shot stopper and Schmeichel was simply a giant green brick wall, but Edwin was always the one I would trust not to make an error.

Loved his temperament too, never got flustered and helped maintain calm in our defence when it came on top.

Unread 22-05-2018, 11:42 AM
dunk

Eddy baby arrives summer '99 and it's not even a debate tbh.

Unread 22-05-2018, 11:43 AM
Surfers do Charlie

Schmeichel turned out a bit of a @#%&! so I'm going for DdG, but Schmeichel didn't stand for any shit@#%&!ery in the defence in front of him,which is what we're missing at the moment.

Schmeichel would have retired Jones years ago, and made a better player out of Smalling.
Closed Thread