United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 12-04-2007, 12:37 PM
Tumescent Throb

We have a poor record in Euro semis down through time: Plyd 10 Won 3, I think it is.

Can't wait to see how Rooney and Ronaldo go about proving how much they've learnt tactically since 2005, though.

On Vidic's collar bone, he could probably play quite easily before the end of the season depending on the angle of the fracture. But it'll probably just pop open again with one uncontrolled landing so what's the point? 4 - 6 weeks is pretty standard and even then the bone is still jelly.

Unread 12-04-2007, 12:43 PM
Terry Silver

Those of you who keep talking about the Scousers against Milan... you do realise they only had any luck when they changed from 4-4-2 to 4-5-1 at half time?

Just so you know.

Last time Milan played rings around us. Scholes is a certain booking if he plays.

I think the 4-2-3-1 from Tuesday would work well, with the pace of Giggs, Rooney, Ronaldo attacking the old @#%&!s in the Milan defence from deep. IF Saha is fit, him to start up front. He has the kind of pace Maldini couldn't live with.

Unread 12-04-2007, 12:46 PM
The Return of JC

This tie more than any other in recent games outlines how we MUST attack them.

If we sit back being coy and 'tactical' they will pick holes in us and gain in confidence.

Ultimately, we can harm them more than they can us and we need to remember this.

Unread 12-04-2007, 12:51 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Silver

I think the 4-2-3-1 from Tuesday would work well, with the pace of Giggs, Rooney, Ronaldo attacking the old @#%&!s in the Milan defence from deep. IF Saha is fit, him to start up front. He has the kind of pace Maldini couldn't live with.
Spot on TS - 4-5-1 is the way to go against Milan

Unread 12-04-2007, 01:09 PM
Terry Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
Spot on TS - 4-5-1 is the way to go against Milan
After Smith's performance on Tuesday he will have the confidence that he can perform the lone role up front, in the likely event that sicknote breaks a nail.

Unread 12-04-2007, 01:48 PM
Fuzzy Dunlop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Silver
Those of you who keep talking about the Scousers against Milan... you do realise they only had any luck when they changed from 4-4-2 to 4-5-1 at half time?

Just so you know.

Last time Milan played rings around us. Scholes is a certain booking if he plays.

I wouldn't mind if it was 4231 or 451, it's vital you get on top of them and get stuck in. They're still capably a great side for opening up defences when they have time to look up and pass it.

Unread 12-04-2007, 01:50 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy Dunlop
I wouldn't mind if it was 4231 or 451, it's vital you get on top of them and get stuck in. They're still capably a great side for opening up defences when they have time to look up and pass it.
To be honest I couldn't care less about the formation, though Giggs role off a striker is very important. What matters is that we play with genuine attacking intent.

Unread 12-04-2007, 02:08 PM
The Return of JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonin jablonsky
To be honest I couldn't care less about the formation, though Giggs role off a striker is very important. What matters is that we play with genuine attacking intent.
Spot on. It's less about the system and more about our approach and tempo.

The system just needs to be flexible and mobile.

There's no way you could say the other night was 4-4-2. Rooney was on the left - but he was moving all over the place. Same with Giggs - popping up all over the place.
Probably more important than that, though - we went for it. We never let up, even at 4 and 5-0. High tempo, quick passing and plenty of movement ahead of the ball.

If we do that, I think we'll have too much for them. If we play like we did against Lille then we'll almost certainly have problems.
Closed Thread