United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 08-03-2008, 11:48 PM
denis lawless

Thumbs down Rooney through on goal

and then checking back onto his right foot......

reminds me of Giggs £#%&! up v Arsenal in the Cup a few years ago

brings me to the point ive made time n time again......why the £#%&! dont they work more on players weaker side......they £#%&! off home from training at 12 o'clock ffs......

half an hour a day using just their weaker foot would surely increase their efficiency on the pitch and at this level, any small % makes a huge difference...

if Rooney had the confidence to hit it first time with his left foot im sure we would have gone ahead......

Ronaldo scooped one with his left foot in the second half.....again..same thing !!!

all the true greats could use both feet........

i cant understand the mentality

Unread 08-03-2008, 11:51 PM
Rhodzy

He's lacking confidence with his finishing at the moment, anyway I thought Tevez pass was poor to him.

Unread 08-03-2008, 11:53 PM
Ether

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodzy
He's lacking confidence with his finishing at the moment, anyway I thought Tevez pass was poor to him.
It was.

It was a poor finish, but was more to do with his lack of confidence in front of goal at the moment rather than weakness with his left foot imo.

Unread 08-03-2008, 11:55 PM
denis lawless

Quote:
yeah, confidence is very important.....but being comfortable in the knowledge you can strike the ball equally well with both feet would give any player a huge advantage

Unread 08-03-2008, 11:56 PM
Rhodzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ether
It was.

It was a poor finish, but was more to do with his lack of confidence in front of goal at the moment rather than weakness with his left foot imo.
Did he actually shoot, i'm sure Campbell tackled him. Anyway he shouldn't have dallied on the ball like he did. A confident Rooney would of buried it with ease.

Unread 08-03-2008, 11:59 PM
denis lawless

Quote:
Did he actually shoot, i'm sure Campbell tackled him. Anyway he shouldn't have dallied on the ball like he did. A confident Rooney would of buried it with ease.
but he'd still try to drag it onto his right foot ....... giving the defender time to get a tackle in....so im not too sure he would have done

Unread 09-03-2008, 12:01 AM
Rhodzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by denis lawless
but he'd still try to drag it onto his right foot ....... giving the defender time to get a tackle in....so im not too sure he would have done
He can finish with his left foot

Unread 09-03-2008, 12:07 AM
denis lawless

good goal.....but as the saying goes,....

even a blind chicken finds a grain ocassionally

my point is a general one and i was using that incident to highlight what i meant.....two footed>one footed

Unread 09-03-2008, 12:20 AM
Tumescent Throb

Rooney opened himself up perfectly, but James read him; should have side-footed with his right instead of trying to skip past I thought.

Surely Ronaldo is as near ambidextrously footed as you're likely to see isn't he? He has two fully skilled feets I'd say

Maradona wasn't a bad one-footed player tbf btw

Unread 09-03-2008, 01:03 AM
MJ Ramone

' MJ Ramone in leaping to his darling Rooney's defence Shocker '

I don't think it was a guilt edged chance.
I think Campbell caught up with him & nicked the ball away, Rooney actually dropped James on his arse & went round him onto his left side to slot it home..until Campbell's intervention.

It was the only 'chance' Wayne had all day.

I feel sorry for him to be honest.
You forget that he's the same agegroup as the likes of Nani, Ronnie & co.
He get's treated by the manager as if he's an old experienced player.
"Wazza, you come out to the left & help out here" or "Wayne, you play up on your own"
It's like Fergie won't trust Ronaldo & Nani with disciplined jobs, yet he'll sacrifice Rooney's natural game by taking advantage of his work ethic.
I think it's a shame.

I have no idea where this myth has come in that Rooney's a bad finisher
He is absolutely outstanding.
There's a 15minute show on MUTV (for anyone who's sad enough to watch it like me from time to time) that is basically a clips package of Rooney's United goals.
It's £#%&!ing majestic.

His recent goals have come in away League games at Reading & Newcastle.
All 3 were finishes of the highest quality.
There's £#%&! all wrong with his finishing.

He's a very young player, he's just going through a spell where he's being asked to play a lone striker role one minute & the next an emergency left winger.
He looks a bit confused by it all & slightly dissapointed.
He's so desperate to score that he thinks too much about it when the chance comes along.

He was by far not our worst player today.

Unread 09-03-2008, 01:10 AM
jem

Default I'm with mjr

half way anyway.

rooney did nothing wrong except not see campbell coming. and campbell got back very well.

however, rooney's composure one-on-one has been lacking this season. I wonder if mutv are running a little string including misses against lyon, etc.

Unread 09-03-2008, 01:10 AM
jem

Default oh, yeah

and rooney isn't a centre forward.

if he was playing off someone, he would be getting a lot more goals.

Unread 09-03-2008, 01:14 AM
Terry Silver

From my seat about 100 yards from the incident I couldn't work out how carrick missed.

Having seen it back on tv I still can't.

Unread 09-03-2008, 01:15 AM
MJ Ramone

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
and rooney isn't a centre forward.

if he was playing off someone, he would be getting a lot more goals.
I agree.

Unread 09-03-2008, 01:39 AM
denis lawless

this thread isnt a pop at Rooney,

i was just using that incident to highlight the fact that footballers at this level should be able to be virtually as good with their weaker foot as their stronger one....

its a pop at the coaches if anyone......i purposefully once watched how players recieve and release balls coming to them...and almost everytime, they repositioned themselves to recieve, control and release on their stronger side

some of them can barely stand on their weaker leg, let alone play football with it......and yet how much harder would they be to play against if they were two footed.....

Unread 09-03-2008, 03:06 AM
Serenity Now

If Rooney managed to play the same number of minutes in the league this season as he did last time round (he won't), and kept scoring at the same rate has done this season, he would end up with around 16 league goals. Obviously that's entirely hypothetical, but the notion that he's been less effective in front of goal this season than he has been previously is simply not borne out by the evidence - in fact, in terms of goals per minute on the pitch this has (so far) been his most successful season yet.

He's also created goals this season at the highest rate since he's been at the club. And, at least if the OPTA stats are to be believed, he's made more passes, more tackles, had more shots on target, and created more attempts on goal for others too.

As for his inconsistent scoring form, that's nothing new at all (he's actually been relatively consistent in front of goal this season). As an illustration of my point: After scoring twice on the opening day against Fulham last season, he went 8 consecutive matches (698 minutes) without a goal; after this he had spells of 5 matches (381 minutes), 7 matches (553 minutes), 7 matches again (503 minutes) and lastly 5 matches once more (478 minutes) without scoring.

In 2005/2006 he had a spell of 11 consecutive matches (844 minutes) without scoring a goal. Previously in the same season he went 6 matches (545 minutes) without hitting the net.

And finally, in his debut season he went through a period of 6 matches (417 minutes) without scoring.

Unread 09-03-2008, 03:23 AM
class of 68

£#%&!ing hell den, it must be best part of ten years ago or more, you were next to me at a game and we had this conversation about Giggs being a one pegged player, you are are still right about the training..........god I'm pissed please bell me in the morning, & remind me wtf I'm on about and I'll pick it up from there............and we'll bump the thread back tomorrow

Unread 09-03-2008, 04:13 AM
Tumescent Throb

Rooney could easily have done virtually anything he wanted with that chance, including initially arcing his run away from the passer a bit more.

It was a stick-on goal for a player of his quality; Campbell had no right to be allowed to make up the ground.

As for Rooney's finishing, it's like this: he seems to score mostly superbly taken goals because he is a class player. But his finishing is often poor.

I agree that average players (an average United player being better than an average player for most other teams) should work on their weaknesses to make the best of what they've got - probably they do.

But you could say the same about any sport; some snooker players are good enough on their weak side to play to a good enough standard naturally to make it worth strengthening that part of their game. Others will only ever be able to use their wrong hand for dollies in a match situation. It's basically the same with feet: how many 400m hurdlers take any more hurdles with the wrong lead leg than is they have to? How many place kickers switch sides depending on the side of the pitch they are? How many tennis players can use either hand to swing their service?

And of course, Ronaldo is two-footed, and Maradona hardly ever touched the ball with his right foot.

Unread 09-03-2008, 04:52 AM
Grimson

That chance was never on for a left-footed shot. If he was going to hit it first time it could only have been right footed, because of Tevez's pass. He then pulled it over to his left, but Sol caught up.

So while I agree about players needing to be two footed, I don't think it applies to this chance at all.

Unread 09-03-2008, 01:20 PM
Part 36 Offer

Rooney's left foot is almost non-existant but can someone delete this thread because if Argentina see's it we will never hear the £#%&!ing end of it
Closed Thread