United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 09-05-2010, 10:40 AM
That Boy Ronaldo!

Default Berba's Future

Quote:
Alex Ferguson on Dimitar Berbatov this morning: ‘He is a very talented player and he has a future at Manchester United'
Rooney on the paper this morning talking about adding two quality players to score more goals.

Can we trust fergie's comments though?

Unread 09-05-2010, 10:45 AM
Sloane

Default Re: Berba's Future

wouldnt take anything from what fergie said, hes said it about many players in the past and the next week they have been gone, see saha and veron

Unread 09-05-2010, 11:07 AM
BarryX

Berbie is a great second striker, a link up man. Keep him and play him when we need a 4-4-2 but FFS get another striker in (or pray that our young un's make it)...

Unread 09-05-2010, 11:20 AM
rogieop

we wont sell berba because no £#%&!er will stump up more than 10 million quid for him.

its fergie and the glazers own fault for spinning shit that we paid 30 odd million for him when in fact we only paid close to 22 million iirc.

cutting your losses on a £22 mil player for £10 mill doesnt sound half as bad as cutting your losses on a £30 mill player for £10mill

Unread 09-05-2010, 11:24 AM
MUFC One Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogieop
we wont sell berba because no £#%&!er will stump up more than 10 million quid for him.

its fergie and the glazers own fault for spinning shit that we paid 30 odd million for him when in fact we only paid close to 22 million iirc.

cutting your losses on a £22 mil player for £10 mill doesnt sound half as bad as cutting your losses on a £30 mill player for £10mill
We won't sell Berbatov because If we got say £15m then the fans would, quite rightly, expect a £30m striker in as his replacement, £15m for Berbatov and £15m added from the 'transfer fund'. United cannot afford this so Berbatov will be here next season. A similar situation will probably see Carrick survive this summer at United.

In years gone by a few high profile players would have been sold this summer, imo.

Unread 09-05-2010, 11:52 AM
borsuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUFC One Love
We won't sell Berbatov because If we got say £15m then the fans would, quite rightly, expect a £30m striker in as his replacement, £15m for Berbatov and £15m added from the 'transfer fund'. United cannot afford this so Berbatov will be here next season. A similar situation will probably see Carrick survive this summer at United.

In years gone by a few high profile players would have been sold this summer, imo.
personally i'd expect a quality player, not a £x million player, but there you go.

berbatov, veron... the price tag isn't the point. the point is whether fergie gets the support to build the team he wants (i suspect he will this summer fwiw) and whether this is sustainable in the longer term (clearly not imo).

Unread 09-05-2010, 12:13 PM
MUFC One Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
personally i'd expect a quality player, not a £x million player, but there you go.

berbatov, veron... the price tag isn't the point. the point is whether fergie gets the support to build the team he wants (i suspect he will this summer fwiw) and whether this is sustainable in the longer term (clearly not imo).
Well surely a 'quality' player would cost a bit, no? United sell Berbatov or £15m, that leaves us with only Rooney as a 'top class' striker. Will the fans accept another 'Hernandez' signing if we sold Berbatov? The fans, and rightly so, will expect a top class striker to be brought in, sadly United can't afford that so Berbatov will be here next season.

Of course we want a quality player to replace Berbatov if he goes, but said quality player won't come cheap. Let's not start with "Fans who wanna sign football manager signings are idiots!?!?!" again, we're Manchester United and if we sell Berbatov we only have Rooney as an established striker. It's no use having about 7 strikers if most won't get chance to develop or are simply not good enough. You could argue our lack of strength up front cos us this season when Rooney got injured.

Unread 09-05-2010, 12:23 PM
dunk

When you say 'the fans' you mean you and Liu don't you?

Price tag is utterly irrelevant.

'We must sign a £30m striker', I bet there are only 2 or 3 world wide justifyably worth that figure ad we've got one of them and have got £#%&! all chance of signing the others (Torres and Higuain (and only this season)) anyone else quoted anywhere near that bracket is being massively overpriced (Benzema, Villa, Tevez, Zlatan ) either because they are too old to justify the outlay, have done nothing to prove they are worthy of the outlay or aren't actually that good.

It's a ridiculous thing to suggest we would have to sped £30m on a replacement for Berbatov as there really isn't one.

We don't need 'World Class' or 'Best in the World' we need very good, with room to improve and fits in with the team/squad/Fergie's plan. Which shouldn't cost anything like £30m, if such a player exists.

Unread 09-05-2010, 12:35 PM
denis lawless

Unread 09-05-2010, 12:37 PM
MUFC One Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
When you say 'the fans' you mean you and Liu don't you?

'We must sign a £30m striker', I bet there are only 2 or 3 world wide justifyably worth that figure ad we've got one of them and have got £#%&! all chance of signing the others (Torres and Higuain (and only this season)) anyone else quoted anywhere near that bracket is being massively overpriced (Benzema, Villa, Tevez, Zlatan ) either because they are too old to justify the outlay, have done nothing to prove they are worthy of the outlay or aren't actually that good.

It's a ridiculous thing to suggest we would have to sped £30m on a replacement for Berbatov as there really isn't one.

We don't need 'World Class' or 'Best in the World' we need very good, with room to improve and fits in with the team/squad/Fergie's plan. Which shouldn't cost anything like £30m, if such a player exists.
I agree with your post completely. And especially lack of £30m strikers, but I'm talking about quality, and United premium. United won't get a top striker for less than 20m, imo.

And no it's not me and Liu, it's every single fan imo. Again, I see you picked up on the '£30m' "omg they just want football manager players!!" - no, we don't, but my point stands. Last summer we sold Ronaldo, and Tevez left, we didn't replace them. We knew Rooney would be immense as the focal point, and that has been proven this season but we've been short up front and relied heavily on Rooney. Are you telling me if we sell Berbatov and don't buy anyone (I'm sure you'll tell me we'd be just fine with Rooney and Diouf etc) the fans will see that as a step forward? Most supporters would acknowledge last summer we weakened our squad, if we sell Berbatov this summer thats Ronaldo, Tevez and Berbatov gone in 2 years, replaced by Diouf and Hernandez.

I'm just saying United are not stupid and know what fans would say if we let Berbatov go without a replacement after letting Ronaldo and Tevez go without replacements.

Rooney
Tevez
Ronaldo
Berbatov

to;

Rooney
Hernandez
Diouf
Macheda
Welbeck

Come on ffs.

I seen some highlights of a recent Mexico game and Hernandez looked pretty good, he doesn't look 'raw' which is good news. He's an international football and 21, he isn't a baby, so he should easily be able to be a big part of our squad next season, no excuses of 'he's still young' from fergie when he's barely playing him. If we're selling big players such as Ronaldo and Berbatov, and letting Tevez go, Hernandez and Diouf should surely be playing lots of games next season? Do you think they're good enough to win us trophies?

Quote:
You'll be happy when we sell him and don't bring in another striker, then?

Unread 09-05-2010, 12:37 PM
dunk

He's going nowhere Denis.

Probably needs to move for his own state of mind at this point.

Unread 09-05-2010, 12:41 PM
Smiling Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Boy Ronaldo!
Rooney on the paper this morning talking about adding two quality players to score more goals.

Can we trust fergie's comments though?
Yes. He didn't say he had a bright future or a long future though.

Unread 09-05-2010, 12:45 PM
El Chalten

berba's last game in a utd shirt today, imo.

nft.

Unread 09-05-2010, 12:47 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUFC One Love
I agree with your post completely. And especially lack of £30m strikers, but I'm talking about quality, and United premium. United won't get a top striker for less than 20m, imo.

And no it's not me and Liu, it's every single fan imo. Again, I see you picked up on the '£30m' "omg they just want football manager players!!" - no, we don't, but my point stands. Last summer we sold Ronaldo, and Tevez left, we didn't replace them. We knew Rooney would be immense as the focal point, and that has been proven this season but we've been short up front and relied heavily on Rooney. Are you telling me if we sell Berbatov and don't buy anyone (I'm sure you'll tell me we'd be just fine with Rooney and Diouf etc) the fans will see that as a step forward? Most supporters would acknowledge last summer we weakened our squad, if we sell Berbatov this summer thats Ronaldo, Tevez and Berbatov gone in 2 years, replaced by Diouf and Hernandez.

I'm just saying United are not stupid and know what fans would say if we let Berbatov go without a replacement after letting Ronaldo and Tevez go without replacements.

Rooney
Tevez
Ronaldo
Berbatov

to;

Rooney
Hernandez
Diouf
Macheda
Welbeck

Come on ffs.

I seen some highlights of a recent Mexico game and Hernandez looked pretty good, he doesn't look 'raw' which is good news. He's an international football and 21, he isn't a baby, so he should easily be able to be a big part of our squad next season, no excuses of 'he's still young' from fergie when he's barely playing him. If we're selling big players such as Ronaldo and Berbatov, and letting Tevez go, Hernandez and Diouf should surely be playing lots of games next season? Do you think they're good enough to win us trophies?

You'll be happy when we sell him then and don't bring in another striker, then?
I don't know, but it will be interesting and entertaining finding out. There is nothing like the excitement of the unknown.

We won't sell him anyway, although I agree he needs to move on for his own sake as much as anything else.

The problem is there isn't a player/striker out there that we just have to have, if you get my meaning. Higuain would be nice, but he's an Argie, which will count against him and he would cost £40m easy, given his last 2 seasons. Benzema, OK, but he doesn't really want to come, does he?

When we bought RVN, he was a player we HAD to have. Same with Keane, Rio, Rooney and so on. There just isn't one out there at the minute, in any position, certainly that's in any way available or moving.

So we are scouring the globe looking for the next one before he arrives, Where was Drogba at 22? I think he was a CB or something in the French 2nd division. You don't know how the likes of Diouf, Hernandez, Macheda and so on are going to turn out. Look at the improvement in Evra and Vidic after they got the 1st 6 months (nightmare) out of the way. Once these players have had a pre-season a chance to play and settle in the squad, not during the hulabaloo of a title run-in, you will get a better idea of how they fare.

While there is nothing truly outstanding out there and available, this is the best way of doing things, imo. If another Rooney or Ronaldo emerges and we have to have him, we'll be in there, no question, until then, patience is the key.

I'd like us to sign Balotelli for the entertainment factor

Unread 09-05-2010, 12:50 PM
ziggyman17

[quote=dunk;2005269]When you say 'the fans' you mean you and Liu don't you?

Good post.. That Dzeko or whatever his name would be a good signing for the right price,, but I sure his club would want crazy money for him..

Id rather we gave Welbeck and Macheda a proper chance and spend money on a much needed centre midfielder

denis lawless

Quote:
He's going nowhere Denis.

Probably needs to move for his own state of mind at this point.
thats why ive got the doom face

dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by denis lawless
thats why ive got the doom face
Oh I know

Unread 09-05-2010, 12:56 PM
borsuk

i think we need quality and i have no idea if the mexican lad, macheda welbeck or diouf are capable of being that. i'd imagine all of them are two years off even if they have the raw talent. i don't think owen is going to get better and i wish he'd just £#%&! off and die in any case tbph.

so if berbatov leaves i think we do need another striker imo. just throwing prices around is pointless, we need somebody with the quality to add something to the team and somebody who can replicate rooney's role so we can rest him from time to time and cope without him when he's not playing without major changes to the way we play.

i agree with dunk that there are no more than one or two strikers in the world worth £30m btw.

Unread 09-05-2010, 12:58 PM
dunk

Yeah, Owen £#%&!ing off would be a big, big bonus.

I keep forgetting about him, it's like I subconsciously block his presence out .

Unread 09-05-2010, 01:08 PM
Stickman

Quote:
Yeah, Owen £#%&!ing off would be a big, big bonus.

I keep forgetting about him, it's like I subconsciously block his presence out .
if hes happy to be 4th choice and a sub then theres a spot for him imo. £#%&! - we need to keep some experience in.

Dzeko as much as hes been mooted I see as the totally wrong type of striker. Has to be someone rapid for me, an explosive type. Defoe's style but with a bit more class. A timebomb. Whom? I have no £#%&!ing idea. But i like to think thats the kind of player we'll be in the hunt for.

There is no way in hell Berbatov will play for us again after today imo.
Closed Thread