United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 30-11-2020, 01:23 PM
browser

I was definitely worried he'd be a flop but he's been brilliant. Such a breath of fresh air to see someone dynamic in the 6 yard box again.

Someone at the club got lucky though, he was clearly a panicked backup option after they failed to land primary targets. He should have been here at least 6 months sooner, to sign him on the last day of the window was disgraceful.

Unread 30-11-2020, 01:27 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
whether cavani is any good is a matter of opinion. feel free to offer an opinion.

whether I said he should not be forgiven for missing a difficult chance is a matter of fact.
Anyone who has a pair of eyes and doesn’t stuff every circumstance with their confirmation bias can see he’s the only true centre forward in our entire squad. Personally I had no feeling one way or the other when he was signed, but I know what I see.

Unread 30-11-2020, 01:34 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
Anyone who has a pair of eyes and doesn’t stuff every circumstance with their confirmation bias can see he’s the only true centre forward in our entire squad. Personally I had no feeling one way or the other when he was signed, but I know what I see.
true, but irrelevant.

Unread 30-11-2020, 01:40 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
I didn't defend matic; I merely commented that the people who ignore anything he does well piped up when he did something shit. cavani played a couple of atrocious passes - to the opposition - just before that (and there was an instance of lukaku-esque control, too). do we focus on those?

when I speak of mobility, I do not mean fox-in-the-box movement. I mean being able to get around quickly. all of our forwards move fast and cover ground quickly. we are a counter-attacking team. cavani is a piece from a different jigsaw. which would be fine if we had flying wingers who can cross. but we don't. maybe he will provide some focus for the attack... he does provide something different.

but, yes... it is more that we didn't get haaland and he was all we got, well past his best. although greenwood was taken off for him, so his appearance was at the expense of one of our young players (the best finisher at the club).

that said, I have never been particularly impressed with cavani. I did enjoy his two goals. I did not enjoy the one he stole from rashers and put over the bar or the header from wan b's cross (although I am more inclined to be generous about that one, despite knowing I would have done better).

I did not insinuate it fortuitously ricocheted off his bonce, I said he adjusted well to put it in. the luck was in the deflection.

I think I said one of the goals was "by accident", though. :0)
No, you didn’t. You commented directly calling people idiots for criticising a poor passage of play. And you do it every time someone criticises him. Not just defending him, but assuming that any criticism means the person doesn’t rate him and is therefore an idiot. It’s tedious.

Greenwood was taken off because he was poor. He missed two clear chances. He also didn’t start games recently that Cavani didn’t. He’s certainly not missing out because of Cavani any more than any of our forward are missing out because of the others. And he’s 19. He needs resting and rotating.

You’re still entirely unconvincing on the mobility argument. He doesn’t ‘get around quickly’? He was in all the right areas yesterday. Apart from the two goals, he had the two chances you’ve mentioned, he was up with play when Rashford was one on one and kept up with play just fine for the breakaway goal at Everton. Several examples to the contrary of what you’re suggesting.

‘Stole from Rashford’ is exactly the kind of phrase you’d expect someone to use if they didn’t like the player.

Unread 30-11-2020, 02:19 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
No, you didn’t. You commented directly calling people idiots for criticising a poor passage of play. And you do it every time someone criticises him. Not just defending him, but assuming that any criticism means the person doesn’t rate him and is therefore an idiot. It’s tedious.

Greenwood was taken off because he was poor. He missed two clear chances. He also didn’t start games recently that Cavani didn’t. He’s certainly not missing out because of Cavani any more than any of our forward are missing out because of the others. And he’s 19. He needs resting and rotating.

You’re still entirely unconvincing on the mobility argument. He doesn’t ‘get around quickly’? He was in all the right areas yesterday. Apart from the two goals, he had the two chances you’ve mentioned, he was up with play when Rashford was one on one and kept up with play just fine for the breakaway goal at Everton. Several examples to the contrary of what you’re suggesting.

‘Stole from Rashford’ is exactly the kind of phrase you’d expect someone to use if they didn’t like the player.
I'll have to disagree on matic. it's the same people in the same situations every time.

rashford was running onto a shot; cavani had to come back to it and swivel... and he missed because of it (with it being a harder technique). he should have left it to rashers, but was probably annoyed for being ignored moments before (when rashers shot instead of giving him a tap-in).

it might be the kind of phrase you would expect from someone who doesn't like a player, but it's the kind of thing I'd say about someone who didn't leave the ball to someone in a better position. I suppose I don't like rashford, because he should have squared to cavani?

maybe I'm really pissed off that cavani won us the game.

Unread 30-11-2020, 02:37 PM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
yes, that's what I said: "how dare he?"

I definitely did not say "I'm more inclined to be generous about that one".
I'm sure one of Europe's top goalscorers from the last decade will be £#%&!ing delighted he's getting a pass off Jem on the United forum

Unread 30-11-2020, 02:49 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whip Hubley
I'm sure one of Europe's top goalscorers from the last decade will be £#%&!ing delighted he's getting a pass off Jem on the United forum
stop moving the £#%&!ing goalposts.

do you think I give a £#%&! what you think?

he would get a pass off me. and I'd have put it slightly ahead of him to make it easier. because I know he's not quite as good as me.

Unread 30-11-2020, 02:58 PM
atticusgrinch

Just apologise and move on jem.

It shouldn't be difficult.

Unread 30-11-2020, 03:00 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by atticusgrinch
Just apologise and move on jem.

It shouldn't be difficult.
for?

Unread 30-11-2020, 03:02 PM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
for?
Being so horribly horribly wrong about La Matador?

Unread 30-11-2020, 03:11 PM
jem

Quote:
Being so horribly horribly wrong about La Matador?
la?

good cameo yesterday. come back after a few months of him not being ineffective (as he has been previously).

Unread 30-11-2020, 04:29 PM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
la?

good cameo yesterday. come back after a few months of him not being ineffective (as he has been previously).
Apology accepted.

Unread 30-11-2020, 04:49 PM
jem

Quote:
Apology accepted.

Unread 30-11-2020, 08:00 PM
red in cumbria

If the man himself can apologise, so can certain others

Unread 30-11-2020, 09:38 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote: