United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 29-10-2010, 01:53 PM
Wum Tastic

Not watched that for a while, he really should have saved Lampard's and Cole's penalties.

Unread 29-10-2010, 02:13 PM
thatsfuctit

so most people have

smikes -> VDS as the best they have seen in a United shirt

how do you rate the others in rank, obviously depends how far you get back, i'll have to have a proper think later

Dane
VDS

Roche

some clues here
http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereven...alkeepers.html

Unread 29-10-2010, 02:27 PM
dunk

Bosnich and Carroll just above Roach along with Barthez (good first season, but the short arse @#%&! cost us 2 CL's imo)

I always liked Rai Van der Gouw

Unread 29-10-2010, 02:36 PM
MagnificentSeven

legend, will be sad to see him leave

Unread 29-10-2010, 02:38 PM
andyroo

Top two are obvious

My third best would probably be Sealy

Barthez had his moments but will be remembered more for the mad stuff.

Unread 29-10-2010, 02:42 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo
Barthez had his moments but will be remembered more for the mad stuff.
And for getting chipped whilst stood on his £#%&!ing line in Leverkusen

Unread 29-10-2010, 02:48 PM
Harry Flashman

Supprisde Harry Gregg hasn't had a mention amongst the parthenon of Unted greats when it comes to goalkeeping.

Widely regarded as the best in the business during his playing days.

Unread 29-10-2010, 02:55 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Flashman
Supprisde Harry Gregg hasn't had a mention amongst the parthenon of Unted greats when it comes to goalkeeping.

Widely regarded as the best in the business during his playing days.
Stepney was a good 'un too.

The real question is whether or not Jim Leighton and Chris Turner managed to get in the list just ahead or just behind Paddy Roach.

I didn't see much of the much maligned Mr. Roach, but Jim and Chris were £#%&!ing shite.

Loved Les Sealey btw , 3rd in the list of best tbh. I was gutted when Schmeichel arrived as it meant Les would no longer be 1st choice

Gary Walsh was a good 'un prior to the injury that kept him out for Hargreaves like lengths of time.

Unread 29-10-2010, 03:00 PM
The Return of JC

I echo the sentiments of most here: Makes it look easy, very understated, easily the second best goalkeeper we've had in decades, should've signed him earlier, hope he stays on longer. He doesn't look or play his age. His reflexes are still top drawer and his mind doesn't drift (WBA was just one of those things.

I like the guy too. Very intelligent, quiet and a calming influence.

I reckon we'd have at least one more CL and title with him in the side 5 years earlier.

Top, top goalkeeper and he'll be hellishly difficult to replace.

Top Red.

Unread 29-10-2010, 03:28 PM
red in cumbria

To the younger posters here - Paddy Roche was every bit as bad as they say, and then some

("Roche puts United in a paddy" - classic Graun headline from my childhood)

Unread 29-10-2010, 03:36 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron_van_Marlon

My absolute favourite thing about him is how low key he is, very few "Holywood" saves, catches when he should, punches when he should, kicks well & generally isn't flying through the air with a £#%&!ing feather bower & shades on for the camera's when a cursory step to the side & straight forward catch will do.

Top Red, top man.

Unread 29-10-2010, 03:56 PM
Grimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger
He'd have been long gone. Probably after a year, two at the most.

The three shite years at Juve will count against him in the greatness stakes I'm afraid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger
He was poor to say the least, for Holland too - let seven in during one game and had a mare. He would have got £#%&!ing slated.
Nobody wanted him in 2002 which is why he ended up at Fulham, for about 2 milliion quid, when he was only 32. The feeling was that he'd lost it, as keepers do. We weren't interested and we had £#%&!ing Barthez bouncing around for us at the time.

Ed's been great for us but to re-write a very dodgy period for him and lay claim to have been the best of his generation is a little over-generous.
He was neither 'shit' nor even particularly poor at Juve, and he wasn't sold to Fulham for 2 million, but 7 million :shakehead: Juve just figured they had someone better (and Italian) in Buffon, and objectively speaking they are right, but only by narrow margins.

Having watched at least 40 of his 66 games, he basically played for them as he plays for United, with maybe just a few more errors. Juve missed out on consecutive Serie A titles by a combined 3 points in his two seasons. Juve knew they had something special when Buffon started to develop, VDS was the first (and last) foreigner to ever play in goal for them, Fulham offered 7 million, which is what Chelsea paid for Cech and more than Liverpool paid for Reina, so it was an easy decision for Juve to sell.

Unread 29-10-2010, 04:01 PM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimson
He was neither 'shit' nor even particularly poor at Juve, and he wasn't sold to Fulham for 2 million, but 7 million :shakehead: Juve just figured they had someone better (and Italian) in Buffon, and objectively speaking they are right, but only by narrow margins.

Having watched at least 40 of his 66 games, he basically played for them as he plays for United, with maybe just a few more errors. Juve missed out on consecutive Serie A titles by a combined 3 points in his two seasons. Juve knew they had something special when Buffon started to develop, VDS was the first (and last) foreigner to ever play in goal for them, Fulham offered 7 million, which is what Chelsea paid for Cech and more than Liverpool paid for Reina, so it was an easy decision for Juve to sell.

They paid £32m for him. He was bought to directly replace VDS, who was then moved on to Fulham.

Unread 29-10-2010, 04:28 PM
Grimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao

They paid £32m for him. He was bought to directly replace VDS, who was then moved on to Fulham.
I meant develop at Parma.

Unread 29-10-2010, 05:11 PM
believe

Thumbs up

VDS is a @#%&! because he's not Schmeichel.
Closed Thread