Notice you don't get called a City fan much these days pal. Interesting that
Only so many times you can say the same thing, tbf

Unread 26-07-2018, 08:16 PM
S/Side.Red

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
Only so many times you can say the same thing, tbf
Agree pal. I personally always try to avoid repeating myself and saying the same old shit on here.

Unread 26-07-2018, 08:17 PM
dragflick

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Agree pal. I personally always avoid repeating myself and saying the same old shit on here.

Unread 26-07-2018, 08:18 PM
andyroo

Quote:
Agree pal. I personally always try to avoid repeating myself and saying the same old shit on here.

Unread 26-07-2018, 08:18 PM
Cream

Still would've preferred an older head at the back, but a giant one will have to do.

I suppose Alderweireld would have been perfect. Both

Unread 26-07-2018, 08:20 PM
Ethers

Quote:

Unread 26-07-2018, 08:54 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knockers
There’s no such thing as a good centre-back any more. They’re all much of a muchness. At least this c***’ll weigh in with a few goals and kick off a bit.
Maguire in the last 2 seasons with Hull and Leicester has been part of teams that have conceded 140 league goals. Good footballer but not much evidence that he is close to an exceptional defender yet. Not as if England were great defensively at the WC either. Not proof that he is a bad defender of course but it is going to be major step up for him in terms of expectation and critique. Encouraging how he dealt with the pressure of an international tournament though.

Unread 26-07-2018, 09:04 PM
Knockers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
Maguire in the last 2 seasons with Hull and Leicester has been part of teams that have conceded 140 league goals. Good footballer but not much evidence that he is close to an exceptional defender yet. Not as if England were great defensively at the WC either. Not proof that he is a bad defender of course but it is going to be major step up for him in terms of expectation and critique. Encouraging how he dealt with the pressure of an international tournament though.
My point is there aren’t any exceptional defenders any more. I can’t think of a single one we could buy who is anything to write home about. This lad seems alright. No harm. The money is completely irrelevant now and anyone crying about it is a weirdo.

Unread 26-07-2018, 09:18 PM
Sandman

Quote:
Notice you don't get called a City fan much these days pal. Interesting that
I'm sure it'll pick up again once Keith gets back from holiday.

Unread 26-07-2018, 09:36 PM
Ethers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knockers
My point is there aren’t any exceptional defenders any more. I can’t think of a single one we could buy who is anything to write home about. This lad seems alright. No harm. The money is completely irrelevant now and anyone crying about it is a weirdo.
Exactly this.

The stats with Leicester and Hull are irrelevant really. You could say that Smalling and Jones have been part of a defence that conceded just 63 league goals over the last 2 seasons, which sounds impressive. Does it make them good defenders though?

Unread 26-07-2018, 09:44 PM
Lok

I know he's 32 but I'd still take Godin. Monster of a defender.

Macguire is ok but it's barely an upgrade on Jones.

Unread 26-07-2018, 09:50 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
Exactly this.

The stats with Leicester and Hull are irrelevant really. You could say that Smalling and Jones have been part of a defence that conceded just 63 league goals over the last 2 seasons, which sounds impressive. Does it make them good defenders though?
They are good defenders. They aren't world class though. Maguire is being judged at a lower standard at those clubs, mistakes he made there would not be accepted at Utd, and would not be forgotten as easily.

You could go back 5 years with those guys and the Utd defensive record is by numbers pretty good, I believe since Fergie retired Utd have the best cumulative defensive record in the league. Maguire, or Alderwerield if it goes that way will not just be expected to be good defensively, many are convinced that our attacking problems are inherently linked to the failing of the CB's. There might be some truth there, but I doubt to the exaggerated degree some would have you believe.

Unread 26-07-2018, 09:54 PM
LFOD

Signing a cb would be a very good idea. Could be this guy , who the £#%&! knows. What we do know is the £#%&!ing mistakes waiting to happen named Smalling and Bailly aren't good enough nor is Farmer Phil and Toro. Lingard's brother had a good WC but is meh. Signing a cb would be a very good idea. Could be this guy , who the £#%&! knows. 50m is the going rate for a bit better than what we have.

Unread 26-07-2018, 09:56 PM
Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
They are good defenders. They aren't world class though. Maguire is being judged at a lower standard at those clubs, mistakes he made there would not be accepted at Utd, and would not be forgotten as easily.

You could go back 5 years with those guys and the Utd defensive record is by numbers pretty good, I believe since Fergie retired Utd have the best cumulative defensive record in the league. Maguire, or Alderwerield if it goes that way will not just be expected to be good defensively, many are convinced that our attacking problems are inherently linked to the failing of the CB's. There might be some truth there, but I doubt to the exaggerated degree some would have you believe.
All very true. But if I have to continue to watch Smalling distort his body just so he can play a 5 yard ball I'm going to go £#%&!ing postal.

Yes, he can defend but the guy has got to be the most unnatural united player I've ever seen. Even Fellaini looks more comfortable on the ball.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFOD
Signing a cb would be a very good idea. Could be this guy , who the £#%&! knows. What we do know is the £#%&!ing mistakes waiting to happen named Smalling and Bailly aren't good enough nor is Farmer Phil and Toro. Lingard's brother had a good WC but is meh. Signing a cb would be a very good idea. Could be this guy , who the £#%&! knows. 50m is the going rate for a bit better than what we have.

Unread 26-07-2018, 10:01 PM
Clownbones

Thumbs down

£#%&! off

Unread 26-07-2018, 10:02 PM
Red Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lok

This

If he was that good we could have had him last year instead of paying 60 million more on the back of a half decent World Cup

New to Utd pal(is what I am saying to myself)

Unread 26-07-2018, 10:09 PM
AK14

Just can’t see it coming off tbh and I think the club and Woodward know i’t too. It’s all just an attempt to make it look like we’ve tried to sign a top player?

Saying that Leicester would be mad to turn down £65m, he’s surely at his top market value so why not capitalise on it?

Unread 26-07-2018, 10:10 PM
Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14
Just can’t see it coming off tbh and I think the club and Woodward know i’t too. It’s all just an attempt to make it look like we’ve tried to sign a top player?

Saying that Leicester would be mad to turn down £65m, he’s surely at his top market value so why not capitalise on it?
Because they think we're thick enough to pay more? That dijk went to Liverpool for more money and he had a similar record.

Plus they don't exactly need to sell.

Unread 26-07-2018, 10:49 PM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lok
I know he's 32 but I'd still take Godin. Monster of a defender.

Any defender not getting injured every 5 games makes him a huge upgrade on jones. I recall Ferguson making a huge deal when he first arrived about getting central defenders he could rely on to play every week. We’ve lacked that for a long time.

Besides, maguire is better in every aspect, mentally and physically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Al
This

If he was that good we could have had him last year instead of paying 60 million more on the back of a half decent World Cup
He might not have been ready to handle it a year ago. You could make the argument against any player we’ve signed. Why didn’t we sign Ferdinand or carrick earlier?

Unread 26-07-2018, 11:16 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
I knew you would reply in that vein, one of the reasons I posted it of course
Closed Thread