Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Manchester United Hall of Fame

Unread 24-01-2018, 09:09 AM
thatsfuctit

Default 85 Semi Replay - ITV highlights

Unread 24-01-2018, 09:16 AM
sub three hours

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsfuctit
It's easy to forget about the rawness and passion of the crowd from those days, it was immense compared to todays sanitised version of football which is is cold and boring. It's all bloody Yuppies in their seats in silence today. 

Unread 24-01-2018, 10:22 AM
BarryX

The first time I truly lost it as a young Utd fan: Robson...and Robson again...

Unread 24-01-2018, 11:12 AM
92ToBury

Happy days. The first real cup final I remember. I was 9 in 83 so don't remember it as well. Staying up for the replay above and watching it was brilliant.

Back then Cup Final Day was a full day. Watching the interviews in the hotels in the morning, then the coaches would set off and the helicopters would film them en route. Interviews with the fans, celeb fans (who didn't seem such #@&%!wombles back in the day) and other little featurettes.

Then there was the match itself. Protestations about the Moran sending off, worries about extra time being 10 v 11, that goal from Norman, then my Nan hoping Kevin got a medal because he's worked so hard for us all year. She was right; not a month seemed to go by without reports of him nearly swallowing his tongue!

Ah, nostalgia's not what it used to be.

Unread 24-01-2018, 04:38 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92ToBury
Happy days. The first real cup final I remember. I was 9 in 83 so don't remember it as well. Staying up for the replay above and watching it was brilliant.

Back then Cup Final Day was a full day. Watching the interviews in the hotels in the morning, then the coaches would set off and the helicopters would film them en route. Interviews with the fans, celeb fans (who didn't seem such #@&%!wombles back in the day) and other little featurettes
Cup final day Its a Knock Out

Unread 24-01-2018, 05:27 PM
naes_sean

Quote:

Back then Cup Final Day was a full day. Watching the interviews in the hotels in the morning, then the coaches would set off and the helicopters would film them en route. Interviews with the fans, celeb fans (who didn't seem such #@&%!wombles back in the day) and other little featurettes.

Then there was the match itself. Protestations about the Moran sending off, worries about extra time being 10 v 11, that goal from Norman, then my Nan hoping Kevin got a medal because he's worked so hard for us all year. She was right; not a month seemed to go by without reports of him nearly swallowing his tongue!

Ah, nostalgia's not what it used to be.
1974 reds

Unread 24-01-2018, 06:12 PM
Horst_ Bucholst

The first game at Goodison was probably one of the most violent games I've ever been to pretty scary for a soft arse like me

Unread 24-01-2018, 06:22 PM
flixton

Brian Moore probably the best tv football commentator there has been.

Unread 24-01-2018, 06:58 PM
denis lawless

Thumbs up

Louis Edwards and Matt Busby sat having a drink in the old executive suite ....so I wandered over asked if they had any spares (I know, )......told them I'd come all the way down from Cumbria and couldn't get one.......not the 10 miles id really come

LE gets out his fat wallet and takes out a ticket ...hands it over.....

Face value.....fair play to the bloke

Unread 24-01-2018, 07:09 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by flixton
Brian Moore probably the best tv football commentator there has been.
Wouldn't go that far, but he was decent.

Unread 25-01-2018, 12:06 AM
The taste of...

They built houses on that shit hole didn't they?

Wonder if you can still stand on the spot Robbo and Leslie scored from?

Maybe some top sat surveying reds could see and get plaques down to wind up the berts, another one where they wasted time in the corner whilst being relegated.

Unread 25-01-2018, 12:46 AM
My Name is Keith

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub three hours
It's easy to forget about the rawness and passion of the crowd from those days, it was immense compared to todays sanitised version of football which is is cold and boring. It's all bloody Yuppies in their seats in silence today. 
The reason I started going to United was all about being involved in the crowd rather than actually watching a game of football. Those days were mental. Weird now taking my lads - glad they don’t see the uglier violent bits there were but also gutted they rarely experience an atmosphere.

Unread 25-01-2018, 12:12 PM
shenwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Name is Keith
The reason I started going to United was all about being involved in the crowd rather than actually watching a game of football. Those days were mental. Weird now taking my lads - glad they don’t see the uglier violent bits there were but also gutted they rarely experience an atmosphere.
I can barely remember individual games. It was all about the atmosphere. Used to love going with my old man and just soaking in all the stuff happening around us.

First game with my mates in the Stretford End was versus Liverpool. Don't remember the score but can still remember the bloke who would prematurely celebrate at every half chance. I know we scored because when we did score, three of us jumped on his back and went tumbling through the crowd. Going to matches was just a great excuse to piss about.

Unread 25-01-2018, 12:32 PM
denis lawless

Ground full an hour before kick off, singing your balls off.......none of this empty spaces as people wander in looking for their seat ......if you hadn't lost your voice before kick off, it had been a shit match.....

Stand out night for me for atmosphere was the Porto 5-2 game ....we needed a result, we didn't get it but what a night.

Unread 25-01-2018, 12:39 PM
believe

The contrast between this game and now is actually quite sad. I went to plenty of games in the 80’s bit don’t remember a great deal but that Hughes celebration is the back drop of my childhood.

You had 22 players on the pitch who knew what the game was all about. The winning captain, after getting carried off the pitch, singing United songs then basically saying he was going on the piss to celebrate without anyone batting an eyelid.

Even the FA Cup as an institute of the game is long gone. I remember every cup final whether it was United, Liverpool, Wimbledon or Coventry, being shouted to come in and watch the players on a boat outside the hotel or clips from Wembley Way during the build up. There is literally nothing that equates to that feeling now in the modern game.

Unread 25-01-2018, 01:02 PM
BarryX

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
The contrast between this game and now is actually quite sad. I went to plenty of games in the 80’s bit don’t remember a great deal but that Hughes celebration is the back drop of my childhood.

You had 22 players on the pitch who knew what the game was all about. The winning captain, after getting carried off the pitch, singing United songs then basically saying he was going on the piss to celebrate without anyone batting an eyelid.

Even the FA Cup as an institute of the game is long gone. I remember every cup final whether it was United, Liverpool, Wimbledon or Coventry, being shouted to come in and watch the players on a boat outside the hotel or clips from Wembley Way during the build up. There is literally nothing that equates to that feeling now in the modern game.
I don't know, mate. The feeling I get when Sky post their latest flyer and offer through the letterbox brings up plenty of emotions...

Unread 25-01-2018, 02:55 PM
Dueling Banjos

Offside!

Unread 25-01-2018, 05:40 PM
sub three hours

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Name is Keith

It was something else, wasn't it?

What about the away trips? Piling off football specials or service trains in our thousands, trying to avoid or getting escourted to the ground by the local dibble and their friendly Alsations. Being kept in at the end of the game (unless you were in their end) until all the home support had left. Then on the way back, if couldn't avoid it more police with dogs, sometimes running the gauntlet of the home fans etc.

It was our passage of rites wasn't it?

Unread 25-01-2018, 05:43 PM
92ToBury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dueling Banjos

Offside!
Brian Moore was doing his best to make a case, despite Hughesy being onside.

Mind you, the media love-in with the dippers was strong then, pre-Hillsborough and something or other that happened in Belgium.

Unread 13-04-2018, 06:33 AM
Denis Irwell

Quote:
Brian Moore was doing his best to make a case, despite Hughesy being onside.

Mind you, the media love-in with the dippers was strong then, pre-Hillsborough and something or other that happened in Belgium.
You get dippers and Arse fans saying the media fawned over us but it was incessant and universal with Liverpool. Even in your local pub you might mention some criticism of them and it’d be met with a slow shaking of the head and hushed tones: “yeah but they’re £#%&!ing good”. Never any witch hunt (a la Keane, Cantona, Becks, Rio) with some of their over the ball stuff. Tommy Smith the mischievous/tough scouser. McMahon, Case, Souness, Grobelaar etc got away with murder.

Didn’t mind Brian Moore though. Maybe I overlooked any barbs toward United as it hadn’t become endemic.