Closed Thread

Unread 13-08-2011, 05:50 AM
Gruber

Default Re: Why do you support United

Family are all reds, there is no other way

Unread 13-08-2011, 06:09 AM
Argentina

Grandad came over from Ireland as a 7 year old. Lived in Old Trafford. My dad supported them and was coached by Johnny Carey at school. After giving up going to games, my dad took me after me bugging him for ages. Wimbledon in August 94 at home. 3-0.

Remember Busby dying and then my dad telling me all about him and The Babes when I was 6. At the first game after his death Giggs scored the winner against Coventry making it 1-0. Remember asking my dad if Busby would have been proud of that!

I still remember that first game and the smell of spilt and stale beer and smoke. Sat in E137 or the old K stand.

Unread 13-08-2011, 07:18 AM
The Mull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock
who went to the mik cup final against the vermin in 83? £#%&!ing crap. all the standing was mixed, spent most of the game trying to avoid getting battered by scouse. we lost as well nice goal by Norman mind
Gobbylar should've walked in that game, nearly killed poor ickul Gordon

McQueen. (he ended up playing CF iirc, he was hobbling like a hobbling thing

with one leg. I hate those skaus @#%&!s TBHorrible bastards.

We had no mither though

Unread 13-08-2011, 09:42 AM
ralph

Dad's a Salfordian

There was no choice in the matter

Unread 13-08-2011, 09:52 AM
MUFC One Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Am_Paul_Parker
it's difficult to pin down if you've just 'grown up' with them. that sounds a bit top red-ish I mean there was never a point where I thought 'I'll start supporting united'.
This..you don't think 'I'll support United' you just grow up with it, that's it. Well, top reds do.

Unread 13-08-2011, 09:52 AM
Dueling Banjos

Mum, uncle, brother were all match going reds so I never really remember there being anything else. Dad's a blue (All together now......) and I recall asking him on a regular basis when I was around 5 or 6 or so to take me with him when he was scurrying off to Maine Road every other Saturday. "Maybe next time son" was the usual answer as he jogged off for the bus. I obviously just wanted to spend time with my old man but I think he just wanted a break and a few beers with his mates on a Saturday afternoon. I'm the youngest of 4 and he worked all kinds of crazy hours so looking back it was for the best.

I've thanked him on many occasions and still do for not taking me there.

Unread 13-08-2011, 09:53 AM
Time For Heroes

Although born and bred in London my mum's from Manchester, well Altrincham, but when you're a kid that's Manchester and we used to go up as kids to visit relatives. United were in the Final in 76 and being 6 I didn't have a definite team then so thought I'd support the team from Manchester as 'that's where Mum's from'........the rest is history.

Unread 13-08-2011, 11:56 AM
Spock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time For Heroes
Although born and bred in London my mum's from Manchester, well Altrincham, but when you're a kid that's Manchester and we used to go up as kids to visit relatives. United were in the Final in 76 and being 6 I didn't have a definite team then so thought I'd support the team from Manchester as 'that's where Mum's from'........the rest is history.
Bobby @#%&!ing Stokes

Unread 13-08-2011, 12:12 PM
ReligiousRed

Just grew up with it and never knew any different, it's just standard in my family, never had a choice or wanted a choice tbh.

Moved to poole when i was 9 and have been constantly in battle with the massive amount of ABU's that live down here.

i never knew at the time how shit we were in the 80's but now its a good thing i can look back and see I was there watching us even then and have known us being and winning nothing.

It makes it so nice when some @#%&! down here says...

" oh yeah san and where barts r you from then, bet you only support unorted coz they win staff " ...and i say
" I'm from Salford mate and I've supported them since i was a twinge in my dads sack, you know.....back in the 80's when you use to tell us how shit we were ?? "
this normally followed by :tumbleweed moment: ...:£#%&!er:

On the other hand though, I have two boys now who are both obviously reds but born in poole and never known anything other than united being the best, It feels like i am already schooling them for the many battles that lay ahead of them.

FWIW I met a top red on here once who told me it was menkal that his mates couldn't be arsed to travel a few miles to Wigan yet i was there after driving 280 miles, just shows OOT's get a rough deal tbh, If they're loyal reds then fair play, creed, colour,religion...No matter to me.

nft

Unread 13-08-2011, 12:38 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argentina
Grandad came over from Ireland as a 7 year old. Lived in Old Trafford. My dad supported them and was coached by Johnny Carey at school. After giving up going to games, my dad took me after me bugging him for ages. Wimbledon in August 94 at home. 3-0.

Remember Busby dying and then my dad telling me all about him and The Babes when I was 6. At the first game after his death Giggs scored the winner against Coventry making it 1-0. Remember asking my dad if Busby would have been proud of that!

I still remember that first game and the smell of spilt and stale beer and smoke. Sat in E137 or the old K stand.
Twas Everton
Closed Thread