United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 12-08-2011, 08:54 PM
red in cumbria

Default Re: Why do you support United

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Norm
Earliest memory is crying after 1976 FA Cup final defeat to Southampton, goal was 3 yards offside ffs.
My first proper memory of United is getting relegated. No wum

Unread 12-08-2011, 08:56 PM
otbarney

My Dad, thankyou thankyou thankyou Dad! :scool:

Unread 12-08-2011, 09:13 PM
rebelcountyred

born in london, my father said i just went united mad after they won the european cup, proper little five year old glory hunter i was, used to run about the place pretending i was georgie best. Did not get to see old trafford until i was eighteen, old trafford back then was mad, noisy and menacing great times.

Unread 12-08-2011, 09:38 PM
Neo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelcountyred
born in london, my father said i just went united mad after they won the european cup, proper little five year old glory hunter i was, used to run about the place pretending i was georgie best. Did not get to see old trafford until i was eighteen, old trafford back then was mad, noisy and menacing great times.
Cool story bro, a bit like mine apart from I went United mad after the 1999 European Cup Final when I was 25, and instead of George Best I used to pretend I was David Beckham. Had his haircut and everything and a shirt with his name on the back.

Still haven't been to Old Trafford yet but I'm hoping to get to one of the big games this year as my boss gets exec seats all the time.

Unread 12-08-2011, 09:56 PM
TravellingRed

Old man and my uncles are all united, dunno why as there dad hated united and was from norn iron, I suppose because of the Busby babes. Went to my first game in 85 so don't really remember not being a united fan, used to go home and away when I lived at home, now I'm just a bgr, derby's, cup finals etc

Unread 12-08-2011, 10:15 PM
cantbearsed

George best an eye for fashion attacking football and knowing that wherever i went that i wasnt going to get left on the ground getting my head kicked whatever the numbers were when it was a bit lively in the late 70's

Unread 12-08-2011, 10:18 PM
Spock

mum from Manchester, she used to watch the babes. spent the night before my wedding with her at united, beat west brom i think 1-0. Sheasy scored, crap game

Unread 12-08-2011, 10:20 PM
Fat Al

Was a real £#%&!er tho supporting United in the 70s living nr London. Every other kid supported Liverpool or Arsenal.

1979 was a particular @#%&! of a year. I remember being chased around the school by a gang of Liverpool fans after we beat them in the semi.

And was in 3 fights before morning break the Monday after the Cup Final, sent to the Head and sent home by lunchtime.

Unread 12-08-2011, 10:24 PM
cantbearsed

the semi final replay at goodison wasnt exactly a walk in the stanley park

Unread 12-08-2011, 10:32 PM
magic_cantona

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Am_Paul_Parker
don't flatter yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Al
Was a real £#%&!er tho supporting United in the 70s living nr London. Every other kid supported Liverpool or Arsenal.

1979 was a particular @#%&! of a year. I remember being chased around the school by a gang of Liverpool fans after we beat them in the semi.

And was in 3 fights before morning break the Monday after the Cup Final, sent to the Head and sent home by lunchtime.

Big day in ours was the '79 final I was only 3, mind, but I still remember the party-like occasion of it all. My mum and dad went to Wembley (this was a bit of a big deal, considering where we came from and my mums brother was playing for United). The old man sat next to 'that bloke that played Jesus' - I think he meant Robert Powell (who was Arsenal, imdrc).

Still got an original Admiral United trackie top from the day somewhere at my mums and even have a video of all the wrestling and that ('Roller-Ball' Rocco and Big Daddy were fighting ), that was on during the build up to the game.I used to watch the video a lot when I was younger, most days in fact.Even though I knew what was coming, I still got (still do) goose-bumps when we pulled it back to 2-2

From that, came the reason I support United.Grew up with a lot of my mates being Vermin, winning titles etc.Made the right choice.

Unread 12-08-2011, 10:32 PM
PaulParkers

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Am_Paul_Parker
Family more or less - dad, uncle, grandad, all matchgoers in their day.

I say more or less because it doesn't always come down to family, a couple of mates hail from blue families. United were also playing the first game I remember seeing live on telly. I also remember it was against the skaus, and the fact for some inexplicable reason I hated them already

it's difficult to pin down if you've just 'grown up' with them. that sounds a bit top red-ish I mean there was never a point where I thought 'I'll start supporting united'.
EXACTLY this.

Unread 12-08-2011, 10:33 PM
Spock

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantbearsed
the semi final replay at goodison wasnt exactly a walk in the stanley park
who went to the mik cup final against the vermin in 83? £#%&!ing crap. all the standing was mixed, spent most of the game trying to avoid getting battered by scouse. we lost as well nice goal by Norman mind

Unread 12-08-2011, 10:39 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock
mum from Manchester, she used to watch the babes. spent the night before my wedding with her at united, beat west brom i think 1-0. Sheasy scored, crap game
Wolves rings a bell there, for some reason.......

Unread 12-08-2011, 10:41 PM
Fat Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_cantona

Big day in ours was the '79 final I was only 3, mind, but I still remember the party-like occasion of it all. My mum and dad went to Wembley (this was a bit of a big deal, considering where we came from and my mums brother was playing for United). The old man sat next to 'that bloke that played Jesus' - I think he meant Robert Powell (who was Arsenal, imdrc).

Still got an original Admiral United trackie top from the day somewhere at my mums and even have a video of all the wrestling and that ('Roller-Ball' Rocco and Big Daddy were fighting ), that was on during the build up to the game.I used to watch the video a lot when I was younger, most days in fact.Even though I knew what was coming, I still got (still do) goose-bumps when we pulled it back to 2-2

From that, came the reason I support United.Grew up with a lot of my mates being Vermin, winning titles etc.Made the right choice.
Robert Powell's United isn't he????

My old man went to the Final in 79. Had 2 tickets. At first, he was taking his mate. Then his mate couldn't go and he was taking me then a couple of days before the game his mate was able to go after all

Unread 12-08-2011, 10:46 PM
magic_cantona

Quote:
Robert Powell's United isn't he????

My old man went to the Final in 79. Had 2 tickets. At first, he was taking his mate. Then his mate couldn't go and he was taking me then a couple of days before the game his mate was able to go after all
I dunno, can't remember which way my dad told me tbh

Unread 12-08-2011, 10:50 PM
Fat Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_cantona
I dunno, can't remember which way my dad told me tbh
Born and bred in Salford mate.

Unread 12-08-2011, 10:51 PM
Spock

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
Wolves rings a bell there, for some reason.......
Think thats right tbh, memory £#%&!ed!

Unread 12-08-2011, 10:59 PM
denis lawless

Quote:

1979 was a particular @#%&! of a year. I remember being chased around the school by a gang of Liverpool fans after we beat them in the semi.And was in 3 fights before morning break the Monday after the Cup Final, sent to the Head and sent home by lunchtime.

same thing happened to me over a 2 day period, by almost the whole primary school, when Poland knocked England out of the WC in october 1973

as to United.....dad wasnt a huge football fan, i discovered pro football around the time of the 1970 WC....around the same time, City played Polish club Gornik in the CWC final....so because it was a team from manchester, i thought id support the manchester team....

before the match, my dad said that i should be supporting the Polish team so i became somewhat confused.

city won and by the time the match had finished, i was already feeling disappointment

thing that finally swayed it was my best mate at the time was a United fan....and following the city win, he suddenly decided to support City.....so i for some reason changed to supporting United.

couple of years later i recall Frank O'£#%&!wit struggling and then same as RIC, my first real memory was relegation

Unread 13-08-2011, 04:48 AM
thenorthwillriseagain

my mum, dad and grandad have all been matchgoing reds at some point in their lives
dad took me to my first game when i was around 1
never knew anything else than united

Unread 13-08-2011, 05:08 AM
bcred

Mum and Dad Salford,I was born in Didsbury.
Uncle and great grandad were Reds.. I can't remember having a choice,I do remember shouting David Herds name ..probably just after the 63 final.
Closed Thread