United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 28-03-2008, 01:52 PM
marlo stansfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_cantona
And you being an Arsenal stalwart has no bearing on your opinions, does it?

Wes Brown has been exceptional this season, out of postion too.He's not a right back, Sagna is.
which is why its laughable to compare them and say wes brown is better.

is silvestre better at lb than ashley cole?

Unread 28-03-2008, 01:55 PM
marlo stansfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk

He is a right back, put him at center half for a season and then compare him to Wes.
yep i can see where you strive to make sense.

sagna is a right back, wes brown is doing an ok job filling it at right back.
i wouldnt be stupid enough to say wes brown is a better right back and sagna as sagna is a good and competant player in his position.
wes brown is good in his favoured position so it would be stupid for me to watch sagna fill in at cb and then say he is better than wes brown.

if wes brown was that good at rb we would have offered him more money and known we have nevilles replacement.

Unread 28-03-2008, 01:56 PM
dodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlo stansfield
It's tough but I'd say Cole just edges it. How is that relevant?

Unread 28-03-2008, 01:56 PM
marlo stansfield

Quote:

Edit: And, I'm not sure that having 2 flying, attacking wingers in the mould of Evra would necessarily be the best thing for United, given that we don't, as a rule, play a midfielder who's sole job it is to cover such players. It could be a problem.
do you know the reason we have supposedly "missed" gary neville this season?

Unread 28-03-2008, 01:59 PM
dunk

Quote:
yep i can see where you strive to make sense.

sagna is a right back, wes brown is doing an ok job filling it at right back.
i wouldnt be stupid enough to say wes brown is a better right back and sagna as sagna is a good and competant player in his position.
wes brown is good in his favoured position so it would be stupid for me to watch sagna fill in at cb and then say he is better than wes brown.

if wes brown was that good at rb we would have offered him more money and known we have nevilles replacement.
The point made is that Wes is a mediocre or shit player and that Sagna is vastly superior, the position never came into it, hence my comparison.

If he was as poor as you and a few others are making out, surely we would have suffered for his inclusion this season, I would say that we haven't and we have mostly benefitted from it. As I said before, Sagna has not done enough to deserve the adulation afforded him in this thread and certainly not enough to want to bin Wes and have Sagna replace him, purely from a tactical point of view, that could be detremental to United.

Unread 28-03-2008, 02:06 PM
marlo stansfield

Quote:
The point made is that Wes is a mediocre or shit player and that Sagna is vastly superior, the position never came into it, hence my comparison.

ive never said he was mediocre. he is average at rb.

Quote:
As I said before, Sagna has not done enough to deserve the adulation afforded him in this thread and certainly not enough to want to bin Wes and have Sagna replace him, purely from a tactical point of view, that could be detremental to United
what would class as done enough.

id say sagna will probably pfa player of the year at rb and he has put in solid performances all season.wes brown on the other hand has been inconsistent in terms of his performances which can probably be put down to him being out of position.
if the chance came to bring in a player of sagnas quality to be our permanent right back its wouldnt be replacing wes brown as wes brown himself is just filling in.
unless you think wes brown is the answer at rb.

Unread 28-03-2008, 02:28 PM
magic_cantona

Quote:
which is why its laughable to compare them and say wes brown is better.
Have I siad he's better?

Unread 28-03-2008, 02:45 PM
dunk

Quote:
ive never said he was mediocre. he is average at rb.

what would class as done enough.

id say sagna will probably pfa player of the year at rb and he has put in solid performances all season.wes brown on the other hand has been inconsistent in terms of his performances which can probably be put down to him being out of position.
if the chance came to bring in a player of sagnas quality to be our permanent right back its wouldnt be replacing wes brown as wes brown himself is just filling in.
unless you think wes brown is the answer at rb.
I wasn't referring to you specifically with what I said, rather the thread as a whole. The theme being that Wes Brown should £#%&! off becaseu he is a shit or mediocre player and that Sagna is miles better.

As I have said throughout this thread, at no point this season could Wes be considered a weak link defensively, he has supported the attacking play very well and contributed in every game he has played (Which happens to be more than any other United player MOTWYW), he is an integral part of the best defence in Europe and is playing out of position.

Sagna is a good RB, no danger, he is in his first season and is only going to get better. However, in terms of his performances this season, he has achieved nowhere near what Wes has achieved as member of their respective teams (despite the general consensus that Arsenal are superior to United), individually there is very little that you point to and say 'here is evidence that Sagna is vastly superior to Wes Brown' for that reason the argument contained within this thread is redundant. Wes Brown is the best option for United a) because he is here and doing it and b) The staistics and evidence prove that it ain't broke, so fixing it is hardly desperate, is it?

Unread 28-03-2008, 02:51 PM
magic_cantona

Quote:
I wasn't referring to you specifically with what I said, rather the thread as a whole. The theme being that Wes Brown should £#%&! off becaseu he is a shit or mediocre player and that Sagna is miles better.

As I have said throughout this thread, at no point this season could Wes be considered a weak link defensively, he has supported the attacking play very well and contributed in every game he has played (Which happens to be more than any other United player MOTWYW), he is an integral part of the best defence in Europe and is playing out of position.

Sagna is a good RB, no danger, he is in his first season and is only going to get better. However, in terms of his performances this season, he has achieved nowhere near what Wes has achieved as member of their respective teams (despite the general consensus that Arsenal are superior to United), individually there is very little that you point to and say 'here is evidence that Sagna is vastly superior to Wes Brown' for that reason the argument contained within this thread is redundant. Wes Brown is the best option for United a) because he is here and doing it and b) The staistics and evidence prove that it ain't broke, so fixing it is hardly desperate, is it?

Oh come on, I can think of several reasons:

1.Wenger bought him
2.He's not English
3.He's one of Wenger's 'Young Guns'
4.He plays for Arsenal
5.Only Arsenal players, from the keeper down, are immaculate on the ball

But I agree, Wes isn't a RB but has filled in and looked very good.This %@#$&!s that Sagna is somehow twice the player whilst not even having had a better season, it's ridiculous.

Unread 28-03-2008, 03:22 PM
antonin jablonsky

Don't really watch enough of Arse to make a proper assesment so I s'pose I'd have to bow to a fan of their like vio here. I have to say though when I have seen him Sagna has looked a good player. Wes on the other hand is playing out of position and has done so well enough for Capello to pick him for England. I've been very impressed by him this season particularly in his defensive abilities but think that if G Nev aint gonna come back we need to think about getting a right back in during the summer.

Unread 28-03-2008, 03:22 PM
Rhodzy

Quote:
if people can compare wes brown to players like sagna and wes brown coming out on top then you just have to say united have the best players in every position in the world...
Personally I think Sagna is overrated, seems everyone who rates him has been caught up in the hype machine. Corluka and Johnson have been better this season.

Unread 28-03-2008, 03:53 PM
marlo stansfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodzy
Personally I think Sagna is overrated, .
you are talking about a player being overrated...

Unread 28-03-2008, 03:58 PM
keano's love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman
which assist would that be? Clichy swung that cross in after Ronaldo was dispossessed. Also - Wes set up our first in that game albeit via Ronaldo.
the first goal I meant not the last one.

Unread 28-03-2008, 03:59 PM
Rhodzy

Quote:
you are talking about a player being overrated...

On this forum all I hear is how Rossi would of never made it here, really overrated.

Unread 28-03-2008, 04:34 PM
Rossi the Red

Going forward - Sagna

Defending - Wes.

HTH.
Closed Thread