United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 18-03-2016, 05:03 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Redface
Couple of decent signings and we might be back competing with then next year
This is true, we haven't passed the point of no return just yet. Appoint you know who* as manager and that might change, though

*and before jem (or whoever) claims that refers to JM, behave

Unread 18-03-2016, 05:29 PM
Cream

We have to invest a larger proportion of our (enormous) current revenues in players.

Our massiveness didn't stop the likes of Hazard going to Chelsea, who clearly offered him a better deal, and we can no longer afford to lose out on transfers to top 4 clubs. The only realistic chance we have of competing is to stop them pulling away any further by buying the best players. Six points signings, if you will.

Talk of Leicester and Giggs is mindless blather. It's Mourinho and City style spending or - literally - bust. No more record breaking sponsorship deals. No more Van Persie style shunnings of our Pep managed neighbours. No fear factor. No experience advantage in title run ins. It's all GONE.

The prediction that the owners will bleed us dry while revenue streams are at an all time high could yet be realised.

If Mourinho says he needs hundreds of millions, and Giggs says he can do it with a couple of signings.... 'What do you think, Sir Alex'? End game.

Unread 18-03-2016, 05:30 PM
utd99

Van Gaal is nowhere near the biggest threat to our long term wellbeing; that would be Woodward, and it's very worrying. He is both clueless and unsackable, a dangerous combination.

Unread 18-03-2016, 05:37 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
Van Gaal is nowhere near the biggest threat to our long term wellbeing; that would be Woodward, and it's very worrying. He is both clueless and unsackable, a dangerous combination.
As I have said before, he has a clue about one vitally important thing - ie he wants JM next and not Giggs.

Once he has got his way on that, I will happily see him £#%&!ed off

Unread 18-03-2016, 05:37 PM
utd99

For anyone who's interested in what 'doing a Liverpool' actually looked like from Souness' point of view:

http://www.theanfieldwrap.com/2016/0...-at-liverpool/

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
As I have said before, he has a clue about one vitally important thing - ie he wants JM next and not Giggs.

Once he has got his way on that, I will happily see him £#%&!ed off
You hope.

Unread 18-03-2016, 06:19 PM
Tumescent Throb

why is our success pretty much always gauged by our own previous exploits, but our potential for impending demise is fashionably gauged against someone else's?

back in the early 90s liverpool were rebuilding after the heysel ban and struggling with the emotional and sentimental wreckage of hillsboro...

there's obviously every chance that we could wake up one day and united haven't won the league for a decade. if that's doing a liverpool then it's doing a hell of a lot of other teams as well - including us...

saying all that, football success is cyclic, and they are the only club with sustained success comparable to ours so I know what you all mean and have said it myself loads of times

Unread 18-03-2016, 07:14 PM
utd99

If that article is to be believed, Souness would have taken over from Fergie if the Knighton take over had gone through.

Unread 18-03-2016, 07:44 PM
Jez Quigley

I think we have to accept that the fergie years were a total anomaly Captain.

Only one team can win the league and with the massive influx of TV money, it's going to get harder and harder (oo-er missus) every season.

Top 4 is the true battle now I'm afraid until a truly great team is made. However, it will take balls to make a great team. Anybody can playstation purchase the best players, but every great team has a core of nationals with the interests and culture of the team at heart.

Barca, Bayern, the winning Madrid teams etc. We need to get a mostly British and Irish core and that may take patience, money and time.
Closed Thread