United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
View Poll Results: Beckham in English World Cup Squad?
Yes 28 87.50%
No 4 12.50%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Unread 16-11-2009, 04:36 PM
History

Default Re: Would you have Beckham in your world cup squad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimson
No, just too slow now. Maybe if England had a target man striker to get on the end of his free kicks, but who is going to do that, Jermaine Defoe?
Considering he never had a problem in picking out scholes in his time. Not a very good argument.

If he's good enough he should go. Do i think he's good enough? Yes of course, He still has that Great passsing ability, work rate everything. Just lost a yard or two. Like Giggs, he is still capable of turning a game round. He is actually a superb impact player now.

It's not about if he's keeping Lennon and SWP etc from taking the role on, if they are good enough they will take him out. I just don't feel there is enough space for Wright Phillips, Lennon or Young. I think if they took two and brought along Milner(Or Hargreaves) and Beckham England would have the right balance regarding back up for Gerrard and Walcott

Unread 16-11-2009, 04:46 PM
Grimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by History
Considering he never had a problem in picking out scholes in his time. Not a very good argument.
Worse argument. What has Scholes got to do with the current England squad? Who in that team has his football brain?

Unread 16-11-2009, 04:49 PM
dodger

He should go but only because of a lack of alternatives. Any quality international side wouldn't have him in the squad.

Unread 16-11-2009, 04:51 PM
Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger
He should go but only because of a lack of alternatives. Any quality international side wouldn't have him in the squad.
Not sure that's true. Beckham is probably the most experienced player in the squad. There are few players in the world who can deliver a ball like he can.

With the exception of maybe Brazil, I'm pretty sure he'd make every other squad.

Unread 16-11-2009, 04:52 PM
History

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimson
Worse argument. What has Scholes got to do with the current England squad? Who in that team has his football brain?
You are saying Beckham cant pick out any of the small strikers who play for England. I pointed out he's picked out scholes plenty of times, or is it just because it's scholes it's genius and only he is capable of getting on beckhams crosses.

Unread 16-11-2009, 04:53 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
You are saying Beckham cant pick out any of the small strikers who play for England. I pointed out he's picked out scholes plenty of times, or is it just because it's scholes it's genius and only he is capable of getting on beckhams crosses.
Dwight Yorke could too.

Unread 16-11-2009, 04:55 PM
dodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lok
Not sure that's true. Beckham is probably the most experienced player in the squad. There are few players in the world who can deliver a ball like he can.

With the exception of maybe Brazil, I'm pretty sure he'd make every other squad.
If you could play special teams, like in NFL, and bring him on for corners (the direct free kicks are not what they were) then that would fine. His game has gone so far backwards in all other areas though that he doesn't demand a place in open play.

Unread 16-11-2009, 04:55 PM
Grimson

Quote:
I'm not saying Beckham can't pick them out. I'm questioning whether they're intuitive enough to get into positions where a small striker can win a header at international level.

It's a moot point anyway. He's going.

Unread 16-11-2009, 04:56 PM
Baron

Without doubt, but he wouldn't be a starter.

He creates, takes the best dead ball, can pass, works his nuts off.

I'd just smash him round the chops before he went on & tell him not to drift inside. He £#%&!s up the balance when he wanders - that useless @#%&! Sven could never keep him in check.

Unread 16-11-2009, 04:56 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger
If you could play special teams, like in NFL, and bring him on for corners (the direct free kicks are not what they were) then that would fine. His game has gone so far backwards in all other areas though that he doesn't demand a place in open play.
I think you are both right, basically there are very few quality international sides.

Unread 16-11-2009, 05:14 PM
dodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonin jablonsky
I think you are both right, basically there are very few quality international sides.
Well that's a fair point. Lot's of fairness here today

Unread 16-11-2009, 05:17 PM
Stickman

No - he forces you to play one way. And England have hardly been a roaring success in the big tournaments when he was right mid in his prime anyway (superb as he was). I dont think he has that much to offer and would be easily defended in the later rounds.
Closed Thread