United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 08-04-2017, 04:03 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
...oh noe Son hasn't got a league cup medal...

They're playing in the champions leGue again next year mate, who gives a £#%&!ing trolley coin about the league cup..
everyone who's won it.

everyone who's lost the final - spurs in 2015, for example.

the spurs team that you're all jazzing over didn't even get out of their CL group this season. leicester are in the quarter-finals.

Unread 08-04-2017, 04:04 PM
Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
Well it's unfortunate for us that the quality of a team is not judged on a one-off away performance but rather over the course of a 38 game league season. It's why Spurs are 14 points ahead of United (FOURTEEN) and have scored 20 more goals.

But yeah we beat them 1-0 at home. Whoop de do.
Well no, it's unfortunate for you that United have already beaten Spurs and yet you've already filled your pants and predicted they will hammer United, on the basis of the entire season, while conveniently ignoring the last actual game the two clubs played.

Unread 08-04-2017, 04:04 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
they're playing better as a team though, i'll give you that
On this occasion, Throb nails it.

Spurs don't have massively better players than us, if at all. But they are much more than the sum of their parts. A slightly less extreme version of Leicester last season, maybe.

Ourselves, on the other hand.......

Unread 08-04-2017, 04:05 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria

Spurs don't have massively better players than us, if at all. But they are much more than the sum of their parts. A slightly less extreme version of Leicester last season, maybe.

you're not qualified to judge

Unread 08-04-2017, 04:06 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
everyone who's won it.

the spurs team that you're all jazzing over didn't even get out of their CL group this season. leicester are in the quarter-finals.
Alright mate. You keep fighting the good fight trying to convince yourself that a team who have finished above United for 3 of the last 4 seasons and are currently 14 points ahead of us aren't better all over the park.

Whatever helps you sleep at night.

Unread 08-04-2017, 04:06 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
everyone who's won it.

Winning the league cup is better than playing in the champions league....

Ok...

Unread 08-04-2017, 04:10 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
you're not qualified to judge
What are "qualifications" to opine on football matters, then?

Can't be terribly exacting, if most newspaper "journalists" are anything to go by

Unread 08-04-2017, 04:12 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria

who said anything about 'massively'? They're just better. I'm sorry if that's a bit difficult for yours and throb's pride to accept but it's just a fact.

Kyle Walker is a better right back than Valencia
Vertonghen is a better centre back than Smalling
Alderweireld is a better centre back than Jones
Rose is a better left back than whichever @#%&! we've shoved in there this week

Eric Dier is better than Fellaini
Dembele is better than a 36 year old Carrick..

Eriksen is better than Pogba
Alli is better than Rashford

Son heung min is better than Lingard
Harry Kane is better than Ibrahimovic

Obviously this is all subject to change but at the moment you can't really argue with it.

Unread 08-04-2017, 04:16 PM
andyroo

Quote:
who said anything about 'massively'? They're just better. I'm sorry if that's a bit difficult for yours and throb's pride to accept but it's just a fact.

Obviously this is all subject to change but at the moment you can't really argue with it.
Turn it in The Fat Goth

Unread 08-04-2017, 04:16 PM
ziggyman17

Quote:

Rose is a better left back than whichever c*** we've shoved in there this week

Alli is better than Rashford play in different positions cannot compare, Alli scores a lot of goals for Spurs, abit like Mata for us......

Unread 08-04-2017, 04:18 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
Winning the league cup is better than playing in the champions league....

Ok...
i'd swap it to be in the quarter-finals of the CL

i certainly wouldn't swap it for getting knocked out at the group stage.

nor would a single player or supporter of spurs.

Unread 08-04-2017, 04:21 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:

Depressingly true....

Unread 08-04-2017, 04:24 PM
Cream

Quote:

Unread 08-04-2017, 04:50 PM
Tiberian

Some of those comparisons are a little odd, almost as if Sparky is reaching to exaggerate the point. Never.

Kane-Zlat
Jansen-Rashford/Rooney
Son-Martial
Ali-Mata
Eriksen-Mikitaryan
Dembele-Pogba
Wanayama-Herrera
Dier-Carrick
Sissoko-Lingard
Lamela/Young
Winks-Fellaini
Alderwereld-Bailly
Vertonghen_Rojo
Wimmer-Smalling/Jones
Rose-Shaw
Davies-Blind
Walker-Valencia
Trippier-Darmian

Utd have far more depth.

Unread 08-04-2017, 05:02 PM
marlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Part 36 Offer
A 36 year old Zlatan over Kane

This place is turning into RAWK.
RAWK?

oh the irony .

Unread 08-04-2017, 05:18 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:

are they £#%&!.

they're playing better as a team though, i'll give you that.
Correct. Was having this argument on here recently, but there's a real fickleness at how people judge players. Suddenly just because they're playing better it means they have better players? Hard working guys like Rose and Walker are not better players than Shaw or Valencia. Dembele/Wanyama ffs not anywhere near the level of Pogba. Anyone who thinks Son has a fraction of what Martial has needs a lie down. Kane is a very good Premier League striker, but hasn't achieved anything compared to Zlatan. Mkhi > Eriksen btw.

But they are a team, with balance, a plan and clear common belief in that plan. And they have a bright manager who has been there a few years and has been able to build. These thing are far more relevant than the individuals, who are punching above their weight.

Unread 08-04-2017, 05:29 PM
Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Correct. Was having this argument on here recently, but there's a real fickleness at how people judge players. Suddenly just because they're playing better it means they have better players? Hard working guys like Rose and Walker are not better players than Shaw or Valencia. Dembele/Wanyama ffs not anywhere near the level of Pogba. Anyone who thinks Son has a fraction of what Martial has needs a lie down. Kane is a very good Premier League striker, but hasn't achieved anything compared to Zlatan. Mkhi > Eriksen btw.

But they are a team, with balance, a plan and clear common belief in that plan. And they have a bright manager who has been there a few years and has been able to build. These thing are far more relevant than the individuals, who are punching above their weight.
I agree we have better players individually / better depth but that's not showing on the pitch.

The question is how many of ours would get into their team? At this moment Mkhi does not displace Eriksen, Shaw does not take Rose's place etc.

That's a credit to the Spurs lads who continue to develop/punch above their weight. A lot of arrogance shown towards them in the summer that because the big clubs finally got who they wanted Spurs would just fall back into mid table. natural order etc

That's been proven wrong. 71 points last season and already on 68 with nine matches to go.

Unread 08-04-2017, 05:37 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck
I agree we have better players individually / better depth but that's not showing on the pitch.

The question is how many of ours would get into their team? At this moment Mkhi does not displace Eriksen, Shaw does not take Rose's place etc.

That's a credit to the Spurs lads who continue to develop/punch above their weight. A lot of arrogance shown towards them in the summer that because the big clubs finally got who they wanted Spurs would just fall back into mid table. natural order etc

That's been proven wrong. 71 points last season and already on 68 with nine matches to go.
The question is not to be taken, I don't think, literally in the sense that they'd switch them right now. Why would they when they're doing great. I think it's meant to be more a direct comparison of the players. And for that you ignore the strength of Spurs as a collective.

They have had a clear idea of play and have been building with that idea for three years. Our manager, by his own words, is trying to delete the memories of the players related to the previous regime. That's a huge factor in comparing the teams.

Unread 08-04-2017, 05:41 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck

so it's a completely pointless question then ...

which players from any PL team would get in the spurs team? by your logic the answer is everyone in chelsea's first XI.

Unread 08-04-2017, 05:43 PM
Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
The question is not to be taken, I don't think, literally in the sense that they'd switch them right now. Why would they when they're doing great. I think it's meant to be more a direct comparison of the players. And for that you ignore the strength of Spurs as a collective.

They have had a clear idea of play and have been building with that idea for three years. Our manager, by his own words, is trying to delete the memories of the players related to the previous regime. That's a huge factor in comparing the teams.
Fair points.

The collective is most important and Pochettino has a side coached to be greater than the sum of its parts.

I'm not sure how we'll get to that point when our current group is falling short and the only solution people have is "spend spend spend"

I'm a bit sick of that tbh.
Closed Thread