United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 27-11-2009, 11:22 PM
shyteds

Default Re: Has a player ever received such a standing ovation as?

I would go back to Gary Lineker's last game for Spurs as a non United player to get such accolade.

Unread 27-11-2009, 11:23 PM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmike
Think that was first time around in 2000 when redondo took us apart at OT, now that was a performance.
i thought it was about 97 ronnie johnsen got sent off and keane played at centre half and was outstanding. i think we got beat 1-0 though.

Unread 27-11-2009, 11:24 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
i thought it was about 97 ronnie johnsen got sent off and keane played at centre half and was outstanding. i think we got beat 1-0 though.
we were reigning european champs when madrid destroyed us at old trafford.

keane scored an own goal in that game. the first leg was 0-0 at the bernabau.

Unread 27-11-2009, 11:27 PM
Flix

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyteds
I would go back to Gary Lineker's last game for Spurs as a non United player to get such accolade.
Was just gonna post that - he seemed a bit emabarrassed

believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
we were reigning european champs when madrid destroyed us at old trafford.

keane scored an own goal in that game. the first leg was 0-0 at the bernabau.
i think we've got a bit confused here. the game i'm talking about seeing zidane for the first time was about 97 in a 1-0 defeat at OT. the season later we beat them 3-2 when giggs teared them apart.

Mr_Ed

Fabien Barthez was a £#%&!ing liability - fact. He should have done better that night.

They were banging on ITV the other night about our last home defeat prior to Besiktas being the 2-3 reverse to Deportivo - he muffed a goal that night too as I recall.

Unread 27-11-2009, 11:31 PM
redmike

Quote:
2000, as sparky said 0-0 first game, cole missed a sitter from a corner..
Return redondo was outstanding, he ran amok raul scored two and we were 3 down in no time, that madrid side were a better side than the one fat ron played in imo.

Unread 27-11-2009, 11:33 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
i think we've got a bit confused here. the game i'm talking about seeing zidane for the first time was about 97 in a 1-0 defeat at OT. the season later we beat them 3-2 when giggs teared them apart.
ah sorry, i thought you were talking about real madrid.

yes, in 1996/97 we played juve for the first time in the champions league. We lost 1-0 at the stadio delle alpi to an alen boksic goal. In the old trafford game we also lost 1-0 to a del piero penalty after nicky butt fouled someone.

in 97/98 we played them at ot and beat them 3-2. didier deschamps got sent off for 2 bookables. roy keane didn't play in that game and ronny johnsen played in midfield. iirc. how montero stayed on the pitch that night will always be a mystery to me.

Unread 27-11-2009, 11:34 PM
Mr_Ed

Quote:
ah sorry, i thought you were talking about real madrid.

yes, in 1996/97 we played juve for the first time in the champions league. We lost 1-0 at the stadio delle alpi to an alen boksic goal. In the old trafford game we also lost 1-0 to a del piero penalty after nicky butt fouled someone.

in 97/98 we played them at ot and beat them 3-2. didier deschamps got sent off for 2 bookables. roy keane didn't play in that game and ronny johnsen played in midfield. iirc. how montero stayed on the pitch that night will always be a mystery to me.
Keane had £#%&!ed his knee the prior weekend against Leeds but Fergie kept it low key I think.

I got into the ground 2 minutes after kick off and we were already a goal down. Cracking atmos that night.

Unread 27-11-2009, 11:34 PM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyteds
i think i posted this on the other side a few years back but i was in a box at the reebok when it first opened about 98 and bolton where playing spurs. at the time they weren't "boxes" but basically a long open balcony and on the table next to me where teddy sheringham and gary lineker. pissed up i went over to teddy and told him what he was doing wrong and how he should be playing and as good as a bloke he his he listened to me for about an hour. when i got up to leave i shook teddys hand and lineker put his hand out and i let rip! i told him that he was a disgrace and that the he had really hurt me because on the worst day of my life as a football fan i had chanted his name wishing him well on his future and ever since all he had done was slag united off. teddy apparently thought it was hilarious and signed a pregramme for me and bought me a pint (i wish i remembered it)

Unread 27-11-2009, 11:36 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed
Keane had £#%&!ed his knee the prior weekend against Leeds but Fergie kept it low key I think.

I got into the ground 2 minutes after kick off and we were already a goal down. Cracking atmos that night.
it was. nobody will ever convince me that scholes' goal should not have been offside though.

Unread 27-11-2009, 11:49 PM
Zorg

I joined in with that Ronaldo ovation too, it was a great moment, but Grimson's right - Barthez was utter £#%&! that night. None of those shots were particularly accurate (i.e. in the corner).

Unread 27-11-2009, 11:50 PM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
I joined in with that Ronaldo ovation too, it was a great moment, but Grimson's right - Barthez was utter £#%&! that night. None of those shots were particularly accurate (i.e. in the corner).
tbf grimmers is a keeper so his standards are slightly higher

Unread 28-11-2009, 12:13 AM
taff

Quote:
i remember that, was a good game. think del piero scored after 20 seconds, was expecting a hammering.

Unread 28-11-2009, 12:19 AM
magic_cantona

Quote:
Aye, me too.

A great moment and yes, Barthez was a £#%&!ing joke.

Unread 28-11-2009, 12:24 AM
shyteds

Quote:
i think i posted this on the other side a few years back but i was in a box at the reebok when it first opened about 98 and bolton where playing spurs. at the time they weren't "boxes" but basically a long open balcony and on the table next to me where teddy sheringham and gary lineker. pissed up i went over to teddy and told him what he was doing wrong and how he should be playing and as good as a bloke he his he listened to me for about an hour. when i got up to leave i shook teddys hand and lineker put his hand out and i let rip! i told him that he was a disgrace and that the he had really hurt me because on the worst day of my life as a football fan i had chanted his name wishing him well on his future and ever since all he had done was slag united off. teddy apparently thought it was hilarious and signed a pregramme for me and bought me a pint (i wish i remembered it)
If only that rep malarkey was available on here i would give you plenty for that.
He went on to have a sore toe in Japan. You should have bot that one in.

Unread 28-11-2009, 12:39 AM
Charlestown Rouge

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmike
2000, as sparky said 0-0 first game, cole missed a sitter from a corner..
Return redondo was outstanding, he ran amok raul scored two and we were 3 down in no time, that madrid side were a better side than the one fat ron played in imo.
I went to that match - the front page of the national sports paper had a headline, well it covered the front page in fact - it was a message from Real Madrid to United - "We are not afraid". Which meant they were.

Missed opportunity that game.

Unread 28-11-2009, 12:55 AM
That Boy Ronaldo!

Quote:
Weren't the United fans singing for Fergie to sign him up?

He was unstoppable that night, deserved his send off and seem to always talk good about us simply for that moment.

Ole's sending off is one of my favourite OT moments, sacrificed himself for the team and some pundits I remember calling him a disgrace for doing so

Was gutted after the Madrid game, seriously £#%&!ing gutted cause they were there for the taking that night and we were at the time the best team in Europe.

Unread 28-11-2009, 08:41 AM
rebelcountyred

Thumbs up Re: Has a player ever received such a standing ovation as?

i was there, what a player that man was for this club, legend is right.

Unread 28-11-2009, 08:49 AM
Tiberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Boy Ronaldo!
Ole's sending off is one of my favourite OT moments, sacrificed himself for the team and some pundits I remember calling him a disgrace for doing so

Was gutted after the Madrid game, seriously £#%&!ing gutted cause they were there for the taking that night and we were at the time the best team in Europe.

Both our ties with Madrid were missed opportunities.

The Madrid side in 2000 especially were very beatable, got a fairly comfortable 0-0 at the Bernabeu but then proceeded to gift them 3 goals with some laughable and naive defending. We missed chance after chance as well, Giggs was murdering them, one of his best ever performances, but the rest of the team made a right hash of it.

2003 was a slightly different story, as usual we looked a little overawed against the big names and the away tie could easily have ended in total humiliation. At 3-0 down and Zidane toying with our midfield it looked bleak. We still has more than enough chances to score 3/4 goals, outshot them in the match.

If you has swapped the keepers over the 2 legs Utd would have went through. Barthez could be questioned on 5 of the 6 goals in the tie, and at OT he killed us with Ronaldo's 1st and third goals. At the other end Casilas was outstanding.
Closed Thread