Yep, time to go 85 32.08%
Nah, need to keep the faith 180 67.92%
Voters: 265. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Unread 19-05-2016, 10:12 PM
Albert Tatlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Do I want Louis van Gaal or Ed Woodward having a say on footballing matters in this hypothetical scenario? Erm, really?

And yes, I'd like him to stay as manager, partly because a lot of good has been done with the current collection of halfwits, and more good can be done. Problem is the myopic and shortsighted £#%&!wits that make up our support. Took Fergie 4 years to turn a team of exciting but unreliable degenerate FA Cup winners into young up and coming FA Cup winners whilst spending a small fortune, finishing bottom half once and getting a £#%&!ing showing off city. Good things take time to build.

Oh, and anyone but £#%&!ing Mourinho.
Van Gaal has one year left on his contract and he won't sign another one even if he stays fir his final year. He's building nothing, he's not turning anything around, he's simply treading water taking a salary, drinking a lot and spouting nonsense. Whatever he had he's lost it. Another year of LVG is just another year wasted.

Unread 19-05-2016, 10:15 PM
Billy Redface

Quote:
so he gets the blame for it all, but is winging it and doing as little as possible?

Oh, and anything good that has happened during his tenure has been as a result of the players disregarding his instructions and blind, dumb luck

Glad it's just the cardies with agendas and excuses
No. Not at all. Only idiots think that.

It's possible that he's done some good things. It's OK to admit that the job isn't easy and there are mitigating circumstances for some of this failings........but it's still not enough. We should be better and the performance and standard is simply not good enough to retain his job two years into a three year deal.

Unread 19-05-2016, 11:01 PM
My Name is Keith

Quote:
. He's £#%&!ed up the forward line 2 seasons in a row, and I was on of the few to notice and complain the first time ffs.
You're joking right? You saying that only you and a clever few noticed that relying on a massively deteriorating Rooney and a young lad new to the league with a massive price on his back was a mistake?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Redface

It's possible that he's done some good things.
Go on, I'm all ears.

Unread 19-05-2016, 11:43 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Name is Keith
You're joking right? You saying that only you and a clever few noticed that relying on a massively deteriorating Rooney and a young lad new to the league with a massive price on his back was a mistake?

Was talking about my negativity amidst the joyous revelling of the arrival of Falcao and the declaration from all the sages on here that we'd score 5 a game with him RvP and Rooney

Seem to recall I was one of the few who dismissed any likelihood of a challenge of any description this year as there would be far too many Manchester United 0..'s. Think that was in the 'On' thread also pointed out there was a shit load of pressure on Memphis who could well struggle.

Called him out on a £#%&! load tbh. But no one ever did anything without making mistakes..

Unread 20-05-2016, 08:18 AM
My Name is Keith

Quote:
Was talking about my negativity amidst the joyous revelling of the arrival of Falcao and the declaration from all the sages on here that we'd score 5 a game with him RvP and Rooney

Seem to recall I was one of the few who dismissed any likelihood of a challenge of any description this year as there would be far too many Manchester United 0..'s. Think that was in the 'On' thread also pointed out there was a shit load of pressure on Memphis who could well struggle.

Called him out on a £#%&! load tbh. But no one ever did anything without making mistakes..
fair enough - miss read it as this season. Tbf, I got pelters for 'stopping them dream' on the 'on' thread but hay ho. Last season was a baby step in the right direction - 4th spot, a hugely memorable anfield performance and we go again this season......except we didn't.

Player discontentment, signings that have failed, woeful squad management, woeful displays with and without an injury list from hell, out of a relatively straightforward cl league and out of the top 4. It's been really grim with very few positives and for me, no real evidence of a grand plan being formed. Truthfully, I've got no real idea what van gaal's plan is - a bit more possession? Caution? What?

I think the fa cup is hugely important for the club in regaining a winning mentality but I'm not sure the football world see's it that way and regardless, it doesn't paint over a very poor, fragile and unharmonious re-build.

Unread 20-05-2016, 09:47 AM
Billy Redface

Thumbs up

Quote:
fair enough - miss read it as this season. Tbf, I got pelters for 'stopping them dream' on the 'on' thread but hay ho. Last season was a baby step in the right direction - 4th spot, a hugely memorable anfield performance and we go again this season......except we didn't.

Player discontentment, signings that have failed, woeful squad management, woeful displays with and without an injury list from hell, out of a relatively straightforward cl league and out of the top 4. It's been really grim with very few positives and for me, no real evidence of a grand plan being formed. Truthfully, I've got no real idea what van gaal's plan is - a bit more possession? Caution? What?

I think the fa cup is hugely important for the club in regaining a winning mentality but I'm not sure the football world see's it that way and regardless, it doesn't paint over a very poor, fragile and unharmonious re-build.

Unread 20-05-2016, 10:01 AM
dunk

Quote:

And in 88-89 you'd have said exactly the same about Ferguson. It's not that easy.

Unread 20-05-2016, 10:15 AM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:

i would say watch the first hour of the semi-final, or the first 70 minutes at west ham in the cup, or derby away, or the derby the other week, or even the first hour at spurs, or the bournemouth game from 40 minutes the other night, the leicester game 1st half, or the chelsea away game - all those performances are close to what he's trying to get the players doing automatically. there have been spells here and there in most of the others that show how we're supposed to be playing - some of the attacking in the newcastle and arsenal games was top class for example, even the 1st 30 minutes v liverpool recently was decent... the key is to stop the positional errors, make us mentally stronger so that we don't lose our grip so easily and struggle to get it back, make us better at game management as well, and above all improve us physically because that is our achilles heal, not just with injuries but with lasting 90 minutes...

Unread 20-05-2016, 10:40 AM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
i would say watch the first hour of the semi-final, or the first 70 minutes at west ham in the cup, or derby away, or the derby the other week, or even the first hour at spurs, or the bournemouth game from 40 minutes the other night, the leicester game 1st half, or the chelsea away game - all those performances are close to what he's trying to get the players doing automatically. there have been spells here and there in most of the others that show how we're supposed to be playing - some of the attacking in the newcastle and arsenal games was top class for example, even the 1st 30 minutes v liverpool recently was decent... the key is to stop the positional errors, make us mentally stronger so that we don't lose our grip so easily and struggle to get it back, make us better at game management as well, and above all improve us physically because that is our achilles heal, not just with injuries but with lasting 90 minutes...
100+ games, 2 years of coaching, £xxxm spent & we can perform for around 30mins, every few weeks against mostly dross & finish 5th in a league that even Leicester City can win. Worse, how is a side physically incapable of lasting 90mins when we spend a solid 20mins of a game passing it around inanely between the defence & keeper every game. Not like we're pressing like Spurs are every week is it?

The man truly is a £#%&!ing genius

I'm sick to death of him & his approach. I resent having to watch the way he thinks football should be played in 2016 - before any of the dickriders get on about Ajax '95 or Phillip @#%&!ing Lahm, I'm judging him on his time at Utd & that alone. He's failed miserably.

Unread 20-05-2016, 11:07 AM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron
100+ games, 2 years of coaching, £xxxm spent & we can perform for around 30mins, every few weeks against mostly dross & finish 5th in a league that even Leicester City can win. Worse, how is a side physically incapable of lasting 90mins when we spend a solid 20mins of a game passing it around inanely between the defence & keeper every game. Not like we're pressing like Spurs are every week is it?

The man truly is a £#%&!ing genius

I'm sick to death of him & his approach. I resent having to watch the way he thinks football should be played in 2016 - before any of the dickriders get on about Ajax '95 or Phillip c***ing Lahm, I'm judging him on his time at Utd & that alone. He's failed miserably.
it's ridiculous that we are so mentally weak that we go into our shells halfway through a game or cave in completely sometimes.

it's ridiculous that we seem to be so physically fragile season after season as well - seems like rarely a game goes by without someone limping out for weeks; seems like rarely a season goes by without a crazy injury crisis.

whatever the reason for both these, it's hard to see how changing the manager will dramatically alter the latter. and looking at some of the players i have serious doubts about the former as well.

unless it is all about confidence and belief in the set-up. it's possible. i wouldn't bank on it though.

Unread 20-05-2016, 11:18 AM
My Name is Keith

Quote:
And in 88-89 you'd have said exactly the same about Ferguson. It's not that easy.
It's a proper thin ice argument that because the situations were so different. To list the differences would take longer than i have.

But a big one is that fergie wasn't due to retire in 1990 whereas van gaal is. Without that cut off, you have a weak argument - with it you have none.

Unread 20-05-2016, 11:24 AM
signed dc

Spent his first 3 months confidently saying it would take 3 months to impose his system, then it was going to take 6 months, 2 years later there's still no sign of one. Whatever his system is or was, he's failed to impose it on the current squad. Therefore, he's failed.

Unread 20-05-2016, 11:27 AM
Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by signed dc
Spent his first 3 months confidently saying it would take 3 months to impose his system, then it was going to take 6 months, 2 years later there's still no sign of one. Whatever his system is or was, he's failed to impose it on the current squad. Therefore, he's failed.
It's funny how no pundits are saying that United look on the verge of something special, just need a few players. You always get that towards the end of the season but we haven;t heard a single peep.

Pretty much puts paid to the argument that ex United pundits are out to get Van Gaal. EVERYONE must be out to get him.

Unread 20-05-2016, 11:40 AM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by signed dc
he has imposed his system. it's just that it is shit to watch, only sporadically effective and "our players aren't good enough".

Unread 20-05-2016, 11:54 AM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
he has imposed his system. it's just that it is shit to watch, only sporadically effective and "our players aren't good enough".
Players make systems, right? The thing is, he started out playing 3 at the back - with kids who'd never played it, then rotating & failing to build any partnerships, then a year later playing Blind back there, sporadically dropping every fullback that ever graced the pitch... never putting out a coherent midfield against the team we were facing & playing the slowest, least physical player we have in a wide position & all the while bemoaning the expectation.

There's a fine line between genius & madness, but Louis' gone full %@#$&! at United. Louis Van Deacon.

Unread 20-05-2016, 12:16 PM
signed dc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron
There's a fine line between genius & madness, but Louis' gone full %@#$&! at United. Louis Van Deacon.
He's Colonel Kurtz

Unread 23-05-2016, 08:40 PM
saffers

May they never be forgotten

angrydimaria, Arnold Muhren, Baron, barrington avenue, biggyjaay, Chatom, Clarkie, Doctor Hver, Ginners, irk, Jan Kubis, Knockers, macawber, marlo, Marlon Van Baron, Moronic, Norm, oohahhpaulmcgrath, patty1038, rustling jimmies, saffers, ScarFace, Stubbsy, Venceremos

Unread 23-05-2016, 08:49 PM
ScarFace

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffers

angrydimaria, Arnold Muhren, Baron, barrington avenue, biggyjaay, Chatom, Clarkie, Doctor Hver, Ginners, irk, Jan Kubis, Knockers, macawber, marlo, Marlon Van Baron, Moronic, Norm, oohahhpaulmcgrath, patty1038, rustling jimmies, saffers, ScarFace, Stubbsy, Venceremos

Unread 23-05-2016, 09:01 PM
Arnold Muhren

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffers

Unread 23-05-2016, 09:06 PM
MUFC One Love

(For you, saffers)
Closed Thread