United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
View Poll Results: should we always get behind a player in the shirt, irrespective of who that is?
yes - always support any player in the shirt, whoever it may be 28 65.12%
no - there are certain players i would never actively support, even if they are in the team 15 34.88%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Unread 04-07-2009, 06:17 PM
borsuk

Question should fans always get behind anyone in the shirt?

i've seen quite a few comments since owen signed suggesting we should get behind him now he's in the shirt. some questions:

is being in the shirt the only criterion - in the shirt, therefore we support the player? would you extend that to anyone - joey barton, robbie fowler...? if not, who?

is it acceptable to not get behind a player? to remain, for example, silent when they come on, or to refuse to acknowledge them with applause? if so, when?

if you feel this way about owen could anything change your opinion? if so, what?

nb, i'm not talking about not supporting the team. i'm talking about individual players.

poll to follow

Unread 04-07-2009, 06:23 PM
History

Depends on the player for me,

Unread 04-07-2009, 06:24 PM
waynes ear's

michael owen can £#%&! off

Unread 04-07-2009, 06:29 PM
Pop

Nope. I hope Owen shatters his pelvis when he makes his Utd debut.

And how the £#%&! can anyone be expected to respect this kind of carry on...

Thought he was a @#%&! after the initial Madrid lunacy, but a @#%&! of epic proportions after that little display. Great player mind

Unread 04-07-2009, 06:30 PM
Crumps

FFS it's not like Robbie Fowler is signing for us. Admittedly it is a bit like it but hey ho.

Unread 04-07-2009, 06:31 PM
Tumescent Throb

nah you can't get behind anyone in the shirt

quiet indifference is the way to go - it's hard not to get angry surrounded by idiots singing Alan Smith's name though tbh

Unread 04-07-2009, 06:33 PM
Crumps

Ignore them as I did with Teddy Sheringham. Still can't forgive him for poaching Giggsy's goal v Bayern in 99 when it was clearly going to hit a bobble and go in.

Unread 04-07-2009, 06:37 PM
Sloane

just get behind the team, you dont have to sing owens name or cheer him but if he scores its a goal for united so i will celebrate

Unread 04-07-2009, 06:38 PM
History

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumps
Ignore them as I did with Teddy Sheringham. Still can't forgive him for poaching Giggsy's goal v Bayern in 99 when it was clearly going to hit a bobble and go in.
I get more annoyed over the second one tbh, Teddy again then that scouse bastard solskjaer puts it in. Can't decide which one i would of liked least to put it in

Unread 04-07-2009, 06:40 PM
Zorg

What always makes me laugh is people who say 'get behind them' when you're on an internet forum. As if it makes any £#%&!ing difference what you say on here, or down the pub. Actually at the match is a different story.

Unread 04-07-2009, 06:41 PM
jem

Default some people

didnt even get behind ronaldo. you can't expect them to get behind owen.

it would almost be funny if he scored and there was complete silence.

it would be a lot funnier if he scored a hattrick in a european cup final, though.

Unread 04-07-2009, 06:45 PM
borsuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by History
Depends on the player for me,
but you just voted 'yes'

Unread 04-07-2009, 06:54 PM
thrills_pills_bellyaches

if he scores i'll cheer but i'm not getting a tattoo or anythin

Unread 04-07-2009, 06:59 PM
marlo

supporters are not robots who act the same.

Unread 04-07-2009, 07:00 PM
History

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
but you just voted 'yes'
I was gonna mention you should of put more of a middle option.

I'd rather get behind a player than not anyway. It would only take an extreme case like the players you've mentioned that i wouldnt.

Unread 04-07-2009, 07:02 PM
Coracao

I hope anyone who wears the shirt does well.

End of.

Unread 04-07-2009, 07:12 PM
captain scarlet

What Sparky said. I simply dont view Owen in the same mode as a Fowler. Has his signing lit up my world-nah. I am far more concerned at his injury record tbh.

If he scores I will be happy.

Unread 04-07-2009, 09:56 PM
Charlestown Rouge

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlo
supporters are not robots who act the same.
You need to do a few aways Marlers.

Unread 04-07-2009, 10:03 PM
Manchester

It's all about opinions, you can't like a player just because they've signed for us.

If you like the player, then you like them, if you don't, then you don't.

I don't understand the, he's wearing the shirt so you should give a certain player 100% backing. Only sheep go along with the crowd, without having their own opinion.

Unread 04-07-2009, 10:06 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manchester
It's all about opinions, you can't like a player just because they've signed for us.

If you like the player, then you like them, if you don't, then you don't.

I don't understand the, he's wearing the shirt so you should give a certain player 100% backing. Only sheep go along with the crowd, without having their own opinion.
you're right, there's difference between supporting the team and 'liking' a player.

however all this "i hope owen breaks his legs and never plays for us" stuff is just £#%&!ing stupid and isn't going to help manchester united is it?

I don't like berbatov for example, but i hope he scores a shitload next season.
Closed Thread