Closed Thread

Unread 27-12-2009, 01:41 AM
Terry Silver

Default More "Mourinho to United" links from Fergie's mate, Bob Cass

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...-Trafford.html

Unread 27-12-2009, 01:48 AM
Spiffy

Default Re: More "Mourinho to United" links from Fergie's mate, Bob Cass

I'd settle for that tbh. Obviously some people will be unconvinced that he's the man for the job but if you want a proven manager who has won the league in England, it's him or Wenger. Mourinho could hopefully be there as long as SAF although I suspect Mourniho wont be around as long for anyone and in a few years he'll £#%&! it off and lie on a beach. As long as we've pulled clear of the scousers in terms of leagues and European Cups I couldn't care less.

Those that don't want him, how would you feel if he replaced Benitez?

Unread 27-12-2009, 01:51 AM
Part 36 Offer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffy
I'd settle for that tbh. Obviously some people will be unconvinced that he's the man for the job but if you want a proven manager who has won the league in England, it's him or Wenger. Mourinho could hopefully be there as long as SAF although I suspect Mourniho wont be around as long for anyone and in a few years he'll £#%&! it off and lie on a beach. As long as we've pulled clear of the scousers in terms of leagues and European Cups I couldn't care less.

Wenger > Mourinho. Nqat iirc

Unread 27-12-2009, 01:53 AM
Spiffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Part 36 Offer
Wenger > Mourinho. Nqat iirc
I think you remember incorrectly. Mourinho won the league twice in 3 years. Wenger didn't win it at all when Mourinho was in England.

Unread 27-12-2009, 01:53 AM
History

Mourinho is the only one who wouldnt be pressed down by the pressure. Other managers who have been suggested would cry and have a breakdown.

Unread 27-12-2009, 01:55 AM
Part 36 Offer

Quote:
I think you remember incorrectly. Mourinho won the league twice in 3 years. Wenger didn't win it at all when Mourinho was in England.
Wenger would be immense at United. He is a class act as well.

Mourinho has no class.

Unread 27-12-2009, 01:57 AM
Eduardo Salvio

Quote:
Wenger would be immense at United. He is a class act as well.

Mourinho has no class.
Word.

Unread 27-12-2009, 01:58 AM
Terry Silver

Quote:

He ticks most, if not all, of the boxes. He is young, has experience of managing (and winning) in England, has a decent European record. On top of that he is one of very few managers who would have the confidence to follow Fergie.

I think the likes of O'Neill or Moyes would crack up under the pressure.

The one concern is the fact his teams don't tend to play the United way. With the excpetion of the side which had Robben and Duff on either wing, his Chelsea sides were dull but efficient.

I would hate to see him go to Liverpool as he is a winner. As for him coming to OT, the question for any United fan remains whether they would be happy to compromise the traditional way of playing in order for the team to be successful.

Unread 27-12-2009, 02:02 AM
History

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Silver
He ticks most, if not all, of the boxes. He is young, has experience of managing (and winning) in England, has a decent European record. On top of that he is one of very few managers who would have the confidence to follow Fergie.

The one concern is the fact his teams don't tend to play the United way. With the excpetion of the side which had Robben and Duff on either wing, his Chelsea sides were dull but efficient.
Which is the side that won the two premier league titles.

He would be a good manager, my only concern is, the homegrown issue. With fergie we've always had a great homegrown backbone.

Switching Off

I agree with Sniffer

RedMenace

I don't see either one taking over but Mourinho does seem more likely than Wenger. He couldn't resist the job if it was ever a possibility for him. The biggest job in England which he wants to come back to in time. He's in with a serious shout especially as Fergie seems to like him.

Unread 27-12-2009, 02:03 AM
Part 36 Offer

Quote:

I would hate to see him go to Liverpool as he is a winner. As for him coming to OT, the question for any United fan remains whether they would be happy to compromise the traditional way of playing in order for the team to be successful.
no we shouldnt.

he should learn the united way.

Unread 27-12-2009, 02:05 AM
Switching Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by History

He would be a good manager, my only concern is, the homegrown issue. With fergie we've always had a great homegrown backbone.
Fergie would still have a lot of sway, and Mourinho wouldn't be insecure enough to not ask Fergie for advice imo.

Unread 27-12-2009, 02:05 AM
Part 36 Offer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMenace
I don't see either one taking over but Mourinho does seem more likely than Wenger. He couldn't resist the job if it was ever a possibility for him. The biggest job in England which he wants to come back to in time. He's in with a serious shout especially as Fergie seems to like him.
I dont think there is any possibility of wenger taking over but he would be the best appointment imo.

Oneill will be in with a great shout provided he doesnt take the vermin job imo.

I would have thought Mourinho will be favourite though.

Unread 27-12-2009, 02:07 AM
RedMenace

Quote:
no we shouldnt.

he should learn the united way.

In an ideal world yeah he should but in today's game of instant success do you really think our board whomever they may be will be insisting he plays "the United way". If they think he'll win trophies they'll appoint him imo.

Unread 27-12-2009, 02:09 AM
Sparky***

I wonder how Mourinho would react to being told he has to achieve success with a transfer budget of -£10m every season.

Unread 27-12-2009, 02:10 AM
Eduardo Salvio

Although the best possible solution by far there is no way Wenger would take over at OT, he's turned down Madrid countless times so there's no way he'd take the job.

Unread 27-12-2009, 02:16 AM
Sparky***

"playing the United way."

Do we even do that now? Was last season playing "the united way"? If you're looking for a phrase to describe last season it was more "playing the mourinho way", if anything. Winning football. Sometimes not very pretty, but strong, powerful football.

How do we play in europe now, away from home especially? It's more catenaccio than 'attack attack attack'.

Unread 27-12-2009, 02:16 AM
Terry Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by History

The first title was Robben and Duff. I think the second season they rarely played together due to respective injuries.

In 2006 they got rid of Duff, brought in Ballack and played very stunted football which was heavily reliant upon Drogba having a storming season.

Unread 27-12-2009, 02:21 AM
History

Quote:
The first title was Robben and Duff. I think the second season they rarely played together due to respective injuries.

In 2006 they got rid of Duff, brought in Ballack and played very stunted football which was heavily reliant upon Drogba having a storming season.
True enough, but Joe cole etc.. they didnt exactly play horrible football

Ballack hasnt won a title? He was brought in, in the summer of 06 with shevchenko which is when doom went into overdrive and we stormed to a title
Closed Thread