United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 04-12-2017, 11:07 PM
Billy Redface

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Think you were keen on him back in your “Fergie is Lloyd Bridges in Airplane” days
Hot Shots.

£#%&!ing HELL, Siders.

Unread 04-12-2017, 11:10 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Think you were keen on him back in your “Fergie is Lloyd Bridges in Airplane” days
So were you if I remember rightly.

There was a very small group of managers qualified to take over this club when Ferie retired, he was one of them, mourinho another.. I think the other was Ancelotti.

the fact guardiola needed to spend 500m to even challenge for any sort of trophies over here slightly tarnishes that and the fact he doesn't seem willing to accept anything remotely resembling a challenging job.

He wouldn't have ever taken over United simply because it was too difficult for him. He would have never won what Mourinho did last season with the players we have. Never.

Unread 04-12-2017, 11:17 PM
Crumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***

There was a very small group of managers qualified to take over this club when Ferie retired, he was one of them, mourinho another.. I think the other was Ancelotti.

the fact guardiola needed to spend 500m to even challenge for any sort of trophies over here slightly tarnishes that and the fact he doesn't seem willing to accept anything remotely resembling a challenging job.

He wouldn't have ever taken over United simply because it was too difficult for him. He would have never won what Mourinho did last season with the players we have. Never.
Great Post.

Unread 04-12-2017, 11:34 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:

He wouldn’t have been able to beat Southampton and Ajax?

I think Guardiola after Fergie could have been a car crash tbh. After LvG though..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Redface
Hot Shots.
Wasn’t it the glue sniffing avatar etc?

Unread 04-12-2017, 11:37 PM
Crumps

Quote:

I think Guardiola after Fergie could have been a car crash tbh. After LvG though
He has 1 plan and there’s no chance certain players could have played that high press quick pass game.

Unread 04-12-2017, 11:41 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumps
He has 1 plan and there’s no chance certain players could have played that high press quick pass game.
Didn’t wee see Saturday that Martial and Lingard can do that? Players LvG planned with. If Guardiola adds Sane to that instead of taking him to City that’s a strong basis. More so than Bony and Dzeko surely?

Brutal reality is that succession plan should have been put in place by united in 2014.

Unread 04-12-2017, 11:43 PM
Sparky***

Quote:

I think Guardiola after Fergie could have been a car crash tbh. After LvG though..

Wasn’t it the glue sniffing avatar etc?
No, it was the talking to the painting gif. I called him admiral benson.

Guardiola wouldn't have been able to navigate that many fixtures, with his play style with the players we had last season. Simple as that. he'd have run them into the ground like LvG did.

Quote:
Didn’t wee see Saturday that Martial and Lingard can do that? Players LvG planned with. If Guardiola adds Sane to that instead of taking him to City that’s a strong basis. More so than Bony and Dzeko surely?

Brutal reality is that succession plan should have been put in place by united in 2014.
yes, correct.

regardless of what you think of the two clubs, City appear to be much better run on the football side of things sadly.

Unread 04-12-2017, 11:53 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
No, it was the talking to the painting gif. I called him admiral benson.

Guardiola wouldn't have been able to navigate that many fixtures, with his play style with the players we had last season. Simple as that. he'd have run them into the ground like LvG did.

yes, correct.

regardless of what you think of the two clubs, City appear to be much better run on the football side of things sadly.
Well they have the better starting point which is that they aren’t running the club purely as a business. But Guardiola was a glamour appointment by them. The fact he had to tear the squad down upon arrival doesn’t say much for their planning, though.

I remember a few flagged United up as a danger in 2014 when it appeared the shortlist consisted of Ancelotti and Van Gaal. Managers who will do very different jobs. Ancelotti a leave it alone and keep the peace while LvG was going to change everything.

That, then the Giggs succession plan shelved in favour of another revolution under Mou said it all. They will hold the club back on the field.

Unread 05-12-2017, 09:11 AM
Neo

Quote:
So? We bagged a couple of tin pot trophies playing shit-on-a-stick football against absolute minnows. Great.

Guardiola spends money on quality players and gets them playing quality football; that's impressive in itself.

Real Madrid have the best squad in the world, and Zidane can't get a tune out of them this year, because the players aren't invested anymore.

I despise Guardiola, but he's gone to three leagues now, and his teams have bossed it in each one, playing the best style of football in Europe. He's an outstanding manager, and would have been immense at United after Van Gaal. This idea that he only takes easy jobs is ludicrous; any job at a club that has expectations of winning the major trophies is a challenging job

Unread 05-12-2017, 09:33 AM
waynes ear's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo
So? We bagged a couple of tin pot trophies playing shit-on-a-stick football against absolute minnows. Great.

Guardiola spends money on quality players and gets them playing quality football; that's impressive in itself.

Real Madrid have the best squad in the world, and Zidane can't get a tune out of them this year, because the players aren't invested anymore.

I despise Guardiola, but he's gone to three leagues now, and his teams have bossed it in each one, playing the best style of football in Europe. He's an outstanding manager, and would have been immense at United after Van Gaal. This idea that he only takes easy jobs is ludicrous; any job at a club that has expectations of winning the major trophies is a challenging job
get off his dick yeah?

Unread 05-12-2017, 09:56 AM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo

Managing City with their unlimited pit of money isn't exactly taking on a challenge though is it?

He's a good manager nqat, but The three jobs he's had are 1) Barcelona with 5 or 6 of arguably the best players in the world at the time in a two team league 2) Bayern after they won the champions league in a two (probably one) team league and 5-6 of the best players in the league already 3) City with their bottomless pit of money and 4-5 of arguably the best players in the league already at the club

The biggest difference between us and them is they're actually run like a football club and back the bloke in charge 100%.

Unread 05-12-2017, 10:11 AM
Denis Irwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo

Quay St

Now

Unread 05-12-2017, 10:30 AM
My Name is Keith

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14
Managing City with their unlimited pit of money isn't exactly taking on a challenge though is it?

He's a good manager nqat, but The three jobs he's had are 1) Barcelona with 5 or 6 of arguably the best players in the world at the time in a two team league 2) Bayern after they won the champions league in a two (probably one) team league and 5-6 of the best players in the league already 3) City with their bottomless pit of money and 4-5 of arguably the best players in the league already at the club

The biggest difference between us and them is they're actually run like a football club and back the bloke in charge 100%.
100% this. He’s a decent manager but he’s not a great one, yet - fergie created three great teams that we’re all the best for a decent period - pep parachutes into well functioning hugely over resourced clubs already bloated with great players - often the best players in the world/of all time - granted he then gets them to play well which is not always a given but give over with the messiah shit.

It wasn’t that long ago that his head was on the verge of exploding out of his turtle neck try hard city branded outfit - all because the poor love was under a modicum of pressure/criticism.

£#%&! him. Admired by neutral football fans the world over.

Unread 05-12-2017, 10:45 AM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Name is Keith
100% this. He’s a decent manager but he’s not a great one, yet - fergie created three great teams that we’re all the best for a decent period - pep parachutes into well functioning hugely over resourced clubs already bloated with great players - often the best players in the world/of all time - granted he then gets them to play well which is not always a given but give over with the messiah shit.

It wasn’t that long ago that his head was on the verge of exploding out of his turtle neck try hard city branded outfit - all because the poor love was under a modicum of pressure/criticism.

Yep

The big challenge in this country for him would have been taking over United

It would have meant trying to get a tune out of the likes of Smalling, Jones, Darmian, Fellaini, Young etc and with an actual transfer budget to stick too, he'd never have taken the job because of the limitations of so many of the current squad and Woodward and the glazers not bending over backwards to spen £130m on three full backs in one transfer window.

Unread 05-12-2017, 10:59 AM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo

Didn’t know Ajax were “minnows”.

I disagree with this for the reasons that Keith had already raised.

Unread 05-12-2017, 11:00 AM
Buck

The big challenge in this country would have been taking over Sunderland.

'oh woe is me the board only gave me £150m to spend this summer'

This isn't a Mourinho/Guardiola thing. Ferguson shits all over both for making Champions out of mediocre players over the years. You can cry over his long term planning regarding 'no value in the market' but when he could win the title with ease with Cleverley, Gibson, Buttner, Welbeck, Anderson, Young [back then he was shit] etc why did he need to spend lavishly...?

Unread 05-12-2017, 11:02 AM
Denis Irwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Name is Keith

Just think..... a week ago, we had search parties combing Helvelyn, Skiddaw, Mam Tor etc

Unread 05-12-2017, 11:14 AM
AK14

Quote:

I disagree with this for the reasons that AK had already raised.
Cheers pal.

Unread 05-12-2017, 11:32 AM
Neo

Quote:

I disagree with this for the reasons that Keith had already raised.
Of course they're minnows in the context of the modern game; every team from the Erevidisie is.

Not really sure what everyone's problem is, tbf. United have spent an absolute £#%&!load over the last few years, including breaking the world transfer record.

Guardiola has spent a £#%&!load, too, but has consistently played a style of football that I'd love to see at United. You can say what you want about him having squads of great players, but he's put those squads together and managed them. When he went into the big job at Barcelona he shifted a lot of big names in place of young players; he changed Bayern's style of play completely, and is now running away with the title in England, a country where so many people said he'd struggle.

Unread 05-12-2017, 12:46 PM
sa7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo
Of course they're minnows in the context of the modern game; every team from the Erevidisie is.

Not really sure what everyone's problem is, tbf. United have spent an absolute £#%&!load over the last few years, including breaking the world transfer record.

Guardiola has spent a £#%&!load, too, but has consistently played a style of football that I'd love to see at United. You can say what you want about him having squads of great players, but he's put those squads together and managed them. When he went into the big job at Barcelona he shifted a lot of big names in place of young players; he changed Bayern's style of play completely, and is now running away with the title in England, a country where so many people said he'd struggle.
He took the main job at Barcelona at the right time. At Bayern, he took over a treble winning team with the ability to financially crush all domestic opposition but didn't win the European Cup which is what he was there to do. By those terms, he failed at Bayern. He's taken over City and had to spend half a billion quid to be dominating the league, while his European achievements are yet to be seen.

By no means am I saying he's not a good manager. He clearly is, he sets his teams up to play a certain way and they invariably do it very well. But for all his achievements, there's a valid counter-argument.
Closed Thread