United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 28-07-2018, 09:34 PM
Cream

Quadey slammed betwixt a RIC and Whip sandwich here.

Not looking good.

Unread 28-07-2018, 09:35 PM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
I really wouldn’t waste your time, Jammy is utterly deluded about anything football related.

He’s also wrong, as usual - Liverpool have finished 4th two seasons in a row under Klopp. They finished 8th the season before. Clear progress.
Forgive me for not paying that close attention to Liverpool. I’m still happy to argue finishing fourth one season and the same again the next doesn’t represent substantial progress. But then, I’m the deluded one for thinking such crazy things.

If he’d gone from 6th to 2nd in 12 months despite thinking most of his players were shite, you may have a point about his managerial ability and substantial progress.

Unread 28-07-2018, 09:36 PM
saffers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Quayd
If you want to argue that coming 4th two seasons in a row is regression then there's no point in continuing this and that's ignoring the fact they as good as strolled to a Champions League final last season.

They used to need a perfect storm type season to win it, now they are a bad season from city away from doing it.
They faced Porto and Roma(almost went out). City is a prem team and a team suitable for them to face. I don't think them reaching a cl final is a sign of anything suggesting long term success in this competition. A knackered real beat them without breaking sweat.

Unread 28-07-2018, 09:37 PM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
They used to need a perfect storm type season to win it, now they are a bad season from city away from doing it.
Aye, automatically going to finish above united and tottenham if city have a bad season. It’s weird how, if city had a bad season last year, united would have been the ones winning the league, not Liverpool.

Unread 28-07-2018, 09:38 PM
saffers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whip Hubley
and yet they came far closer to winning the league under brenton than they have under the tutelage of that absolute teeth-itching cringemeister.

All depends how you measure progress, I suppose. On paper they've made solid signings, NQAT, but no one has any idea how that will translate on the pitch. It's very easy to be down about us atm because of the football we've been playing, but bottom line is, playing 'shit' football we still were ahead of the scouse last season, and have won more in the last 3 seasons than they have in the last 12.
One thing to be down about us but another thing completely to hype liverpool up to be something theyre not. They almost threw away 4th place and almost threw away a 5 goal lead vs a horrendous roma side. Only some questionable refereeing decisions saved them.

And that was in a season where salah bagged almost 50 goals! Will he match that?

Unread 28-07-2018, 09:41 PM
Chris Quayd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cream
Quadey slammed betwixt a RIC and Whip sandwich here.

Not looking good.
A few piling in, protesting too much? Not my place to say.

Unread 28-07-2018, 09:43 PM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
The anti-mou crew? Probably.

Unread 28-07-2018, 09:45 PM
saffers

Quote:
Just giving my opinion pol. Big claims posted in this thread. Gotta be some pushback.

Hugely rate Klopp btw and agree he has done good job there. Thankfully not an amazing job but clearly a good job. I think he and his squad have plenty to prove before they can be seen as threats for the title.

Unread 28-07-2018, 09:46 PM
Chris Quayd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammy Dodger
The anti-mou crew? Probably.
Think you're mistaking me with someone else friend, I was firmly behind Mou replacing the Dutch dinosaur.

Unread 28-07-2018, 10:05 PM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
Think you're mistaking me with someone else friend, I was firmly behind Mou replacing the Dutch dinosaur.
Until he didn’t transform united overnight eh.

Unread 28-07-2018, 10:17 PM
Chris Quayd

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffers
Just giving my opinion pol. Big claims posted in this thread. Gotta be some pushback.
Klopp has improved Liverpool, breaking the champions league record for goals scored en route to a final is as close to a stroll as is possible and that they could win the league if city implode are hardly big claims? Not going to spend my Saturday defending the vermin but people need to be able to accept demonstrable facts.

Quote:
Until he didn’t transform united overnight eh.
Wrong again champ.

Unread 28-07-2018, 10:20 PM
saffers

Maribor, Spartak, Porto, Roma.

With Klopps gegenpressing style I can't say i'm too surprised or impressed they ran int shitloads of goals against those guys....

Unread 28-07-2018, 10:23 PM
Chris Quayd

Quote:
Maribor, Spartak, Porto, Roma.

With Klopps gegenpressing style I can't say i'm too surprised or impressed they ran int shitloads of goals against those guys....
Fair to say they strolled it?

Unread 28-07-2018, 10:25 PM
saffers

Quote:
Fair to say they strolled it?
I didn't dispute the strolling pal. Just saying the draw meant that it was not a surprise nor should be seen as any barometer for future success.

Unread 28-07-2018, 10:30 PM
Chris Quayd

Quote:
I didn't dispute the strolling pal. Just saying the draw meant that it was not a surprise nor should be seen as any barometer for future success.
It was progress (which just about everyone agrees Klopp has made with them) irrespective or whether it is a barometer of future success and in any case not sure we are well placed to knock them for obliterating tin pot European outfits after Sevilla. Not seeing too many big claims tbf chief...

Unread 28-07-2018, 10:34 PM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
...that they could win the league if city implode are hardly big claims? Not going to spend my Saturday defending the vermin but people need to be able to accept demonstrable facts.
That’s opinion, not demonstratable facts. The demonstratable fact is they’ve done no better than 4th under klopp.

Unread 28-07-2018, 10:37 PM
Chris Quayd

Quote:
That’s opinion, not demonstratable facts. The demonstratable fact is they’ve done no better than 4th under klopp.
Correct, that was an opinion, far from a big claim. Finishing in better positions and doing better in the cups and Europe is a demonstrable fact, hth.

Unread 28-07-2018, 11:33 PM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
Correct, that was an opinion, far from a big claim. Finishing in better positions and doing better in the cups and Europe is a demonstrable fact, hth.
It’s a big claim considering they’d also have to beat two other teams who finished above them last season.

Fourth place one year, fourth place the next. You keep going on about demonstratable facts and then ignoring them to say they’re finishing in better positions. What have Liverpool done better in the league and fa cups btw? Basically, you’re letting Liverpool’s favourable European cup run colour your view.

What you’ve actually done is describe mourinho’s first two seasons.

Unread 29-07-2018, 12:47 AM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by puressence
They finished on 86 points in 2009 shame we had 90
Never thought I’d say this but can we hear more from Pure?

Unread 29-07-2018, 01:12 AM
Chris Quayd

Quote:
It’s a big claim considering they’d also have to beat two other teams who finished above them last season.

They have to make up 6 points on us and 2 on Spurs, considering they’ve signed three first team players to ours/Spurs’ one that isn’t a big claim.

Fourth place one year, fourth place the next. You keep going on about demonstrable facts and then ignoring them to say they’re finishing in better positions.

I said that their league positions have improved under Klopp vs Rodgers; Demonstrable Fact

What have Liverpool done better in the league and fa cups btw?

Made it to a final with Klopp which they didn’t manage under Rodgers; better
Closed Thread