United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 14-07-2017, 01:45 PM
Dasilvatwins

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlo
he won't be in the side by christmas ffs.
This ...bang on..his technique is shot. Wait for him to play a competitive game where he has much less time on the ball..

Come december his fitness will be next to nothing.

Unread 14-07-2017, 02:25 PM
Fish

Personally I think the badge will reinvigorate and drive him on. I hope he rips it up.

Unread 14-07-2017, 02:33 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasilvatwins
This ...bang on..his technique is shot. Wait for him to play a competitive game where he has much less time on the ball..

Come december his fitness will be next to nothing.

Because he didn't play any competitive games last season did he ? Having an impact in the final moments of a game...hull, wemberley, stoke away, Europa semi etc etc..

One of the best core 90 minute players for fitness at united, all his tests each year proved that...

Unread 14-07-2017, 02:34 PM
Red Santos

I think he will do well for them...

Everton (mid table Prem) is his level now. He wouldn't settle another season being third choice CF at United.

Right time to move on. All the best

Unread 14-07-2017, 02:37 PM
Tiberian

No longer being good enough to be a key player at Utd does not mean he is incapable of performing to a decent level at a club like Everton. If he uses this as motivation, gets himself into good shape then he could surprise a few.

He has been in steady decline for 4-5 years, perhaps accelerated last season by his squad player status, he has always needed games to find form. Should get that run now. Could easily have done a Schweinsteiger and just buggered off to the US for easy money and easy football, pleased to see Rooney still has the ambition to at least attempt to play at a high level.

Unread 14-07-2017, 02:43 PM
ScholesScoresGoals2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
No longer being good enough to be a key player at Utd does not mean he is incapable of performing to a decent level at a club like Everton. If he uses this as motivation, gets himself into good shape then he could surprise a few.

He has been in steady decline for 4-5 years, perhaps accelerated last season by his squad player status, he has always needed games to find form. Should get that run now. Could easily have done a Schweinsteiger and just buggered off to the US for easy money and easy football, pleased to see Rooney still has the ambition to at least attempt to play at a high level.
TBF to him he looks leaner than he has in a number of years. I think him and Everton will do well this season, another team to add to the Top 4 battle

Unread 14-07-2017, 02:43 PM
Buck

"how the £#%&! does fellaini survive...."

Unread 14-07-2017, 02:52 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScholesScoresGoals2
TBF to him he looks leaner than he has in a number of years. I think him and Everton will do well this season, another team to add to the Top 4 battle
When a player who is no longer popular leaves Utd there seems to be this strange rush to rubbish them. Repeat again, a player can be not quite good enough for Utd but still be a damm good player by pretty much every other standard.

Not just Rooney, look at the current perception of Smalling and Jones, people talk about them as if they are the absolute worst, Titus Bramble standard. When fit and on form they are probably comfortably in the top 10-15 CB's in the league.

Unread 14-07-2017, 04:35 PM
utd99

Quote:
When a player who is no longer popular leaves Utd there seems to be this strange rush to rubbish them. Repeat again, a player can be not quite good enough for Utd but still be a damm good player by pretty much every other standard.

Not just Rooney, look at the current perception of Smalling and Jones, people talk about them as if they are the absolute worst, Titus Bramble standard. When fit and on form they are probably comfortably in the top 10-15 CB's in the league.
But you yourself said he was in decline for 4/5 years, is that "rubbishing" him too? It is how it is, he was great here for a long time, but hasn't been for a while now; that's the simple gist of what most people seem to be saying.

I agree however that the conversation tends to get a bit polarised and push people to extremes when some simply refuse to acknowledge what's right in front of their faces. When a player can no longer be trusted to perform the most basic functions on the pitch it really doesn't matter whether you like them or loathe them, just say it. United should always come first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScholesScoresGoals2
I agree; they've bought well.

Unread 14-07-2017, 04:51 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
But you yourself said he was in decline for 4/5 years, is that "rubbishing" him too? It is how it is, he was great here for a long time, but hasn't been for a while now; that's the simple gist of what most people seem to be saying.

I agree however that the conversation tends to get a bit polarised and push people to extremes when some simply refuse to acknowledge what's right in front of their faces. When a player can no longer be trusted to perform the most basic functions on the pitch it really doesn't matter whether you like them or loathe them, just say it. United should always come first.
Agree entirely with the final point. Fans are always going to have an emotional response to a player that makes it difficult to see them entirely clearly, can go either way. You hope the club has that clarity, it is why the 5 year contract looked such a false move, it is a stage where Utd could still have moved him for an excellent fee and jump-started the redevelopment of the attack.

I would not say that stating he was in decline was rubbishing him, I think it was the inevitable conclusion to the evidence we had.

Unread 14-07-2017, 07:34 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:

being probably comfortably in the top 10 or 15 centre backs in the league isn't saying anything, let alone much - the standard is pretty low beyond the top handful.

and anyway, that completely ignores the reason people are sick of the sight of smalling in particular, which is that he's shit with the football at his feet, and that defensively he has one huge basic mistake in him per game - whether it be knocking off, whether it be losing his man, or whether it be choosing to leave his man and cover space even when there's no other threat (like he did at home to burnley the other season leaving their striker with an open £#%&!ing goal). yes he can have the odd good game, and yes he can be commanding in the air. and yes he can run attackers who don't know him off the ball in the channels. but those that do will often deliberately drag him out of position for their mates to exploit, or to check inside and exploit it themselves. he's simply not good enough.

the problem with jones is that aside from his comedy moments he's pretty good, but he simply can't stay fit and is therefore hopelessly unreliable.

Unread 14-07-2017, 07:41 PM
suedeshoes

Quote:
look at the current perception of Smalling and Jones
Some of us don't base our 'perception' on the opinionet. We base it upon watching them which changes that 'perception' to reality. Smalling is shit at football. Jones is decent but made of plasticine.

Unread 14-07-2017, 08:14 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:

ps i'd put money on rooney having a decent start, but the pressure thing could work the opposite of what people think at a club like everton - where he will be expected to make a big difference.

we'll have to see, but i wouldn't be surprised if he finds that he can't, and if that realisation amongst the support happens very quickly.

Unread 14-07-2017, 08:15 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
ps i'd put money on rooney having a decent start, but the pressure thing could work the opposite of what people think at a club like everton - where he will be expected to make a big difference.

we'll have to see, but i wouldn't be surprised if he finds that he can't, and if that realisation amongst the support happens very quickly.
....he'll go the U.S And you can get on the Bunks 15 goal bonanza 2018 ?

Unread 14-07-2017, 08:20 PM
20 times

Everton will be my second team now that Rooney plays for them

Unread 14-07-2017, 08:20 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20 times
Everton will be my second team now that Rooney plays for them

Possibly still third after Spurs for me...

Unread 14-07-2017, 08:22 PM
20 times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster

Possibly still third after Spurs for me...
Wouldn't be too upset if Rooney scored against us in an Everton win tbh. Would feel like a win for us

Unread 14-07-2017, 08:25 PM
taff

providing he can stay fit i think he'll do alright as a flat-track bully, which would be more than enough at everton.

that said, i would obviously love to see him do a number on liverpool.

Unread 14-07-2017, 08:26 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20 times
Wouldn't be too upset if Rooney scored against us in an Everton win tbh. Would feel like a win for us
If the points don't matter....I'm in..

Looking at getting to a Europa game of theirs next season...

Unread 14-07-2017, 08:27 PM
20 times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
If the points don't matter....I'm in..

Looking at getting to a Europa game of theirs next season...
They've got a Europoh match in a couple of weeks
Closed Thread