United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 09-11-2007, 02:17 PM
Gog Coch

Default Sky's Top Ten Horror Tackles.

1 - Roy Keane on Alf-Inge Haaland - Manchester United v Manchester City 21st April 2001
Speaking of fiery, Roy Keane took revenge into his own hands after he and Alf-Inge Haaland sparked a dislike for each other in 1997. Four years later, Keane's bubbling rage exploded as he lifted his foot high and clattered his studs into Haaland's right knee.

2 - Lee Bowyer on Gerardo - Leeds United v Malaga 12th December 2002
The former Leeds United man was banned for six matches by Uefa following an appalling stamp on Gerardo's head - an inexplicable act which was duly punished.

3 - Rachid Bouaouzan on Niels Kokmeijer - Go Ahead v Sparta Rotterdam 17th December 2004
Niels Kokmeijer's career came to an end when Rachid Bouaouzan caught the Dutchman's shin with a wild challenge. In an attempt to close down a clearance Bouaouzan slid in, but he got his effort all wrong and crashed into Kokmeijer. He suffered a serious break and was forced to retire from professional football.

4 - Kevin Gray on Gordon Watson - Bradford v Watford 1st February 1997
Kevin Gray's challenge on Watson was branded 'appalling and completely unacceptable' by television pundit Jimmy Hill. Gray launched a tackle at the former Bradford City striker just four minutes into the match, breaking Watson's leg and leaving him sidelined for 16 months.

5 - Benjamin Massing on Claudio Caniggia - Argentina v Cameroon 8th June 1990
At the third bite of the cherry Benjamin Massing completely floored an onrushing Claudio Caniggia in a World Cup clash. The Argentine picked the ball up in his own half and began a quite sensational run, however the Cameroon side was having little of it. After two players made an effort to bring down the pacey forward, Massing made no mistake in pulverising him to the floor, losing his right boot in the process - he was sent off.

6 - Harald Schumacher on Patrick Battiston - West Germany v France 8th July 1982
Harald - commonly known as Toni - Schumacher's actions left Patrick Battiston with the loss of two front teeth and a damaged vertebrae. Michel Platini put the French international through, and with Battiston at full-pace, the German stopper smashed into the defender. Outrageously, the referee did not award a foul or brandish a card.

7 - Ben Thatcher on Pedro Mendes - Manchester City v Portsmouth 23rd August 2006
Ben Thatcher's infamous challenge on Portsmouth's Pedro Mendes can only be described as disgraceful. Both plays ran to compete for a loose ball; however the City man chose to viciously lunge at Mendes with his body and elbow - the Portuguese midfielder was left unconscious.

8 - Graeme Souness on Steaua Bucharest victim, Rangers v Steaua Bucharest
The aggressive Scot fiercely stomped on a helpless Steaua player, rather near his nether regions. Souness made a weak attempt in claiming that he had come worse off in the challenge, however him merely pointing at his thigh did little to persuade as the Steaua man writhed around in agony.

9 - Roy Keane on Gareth Southgate - Crystal Palace v Manchester United 12th April 1995
It is that man Keane again as he picks up his first red card as a Manchester United player. The Red Devils midfielder stood towering above a helpless Southgate, looked him piercingly in the eyes, before laying his foot firmly down into his groin.

10 - Steven Gerrard on George Boateng - Liverpool v Aston Villa 8th September 2001
The Liverpool midfielder received a straight red card after a crunching knee-high challenge on George Boateng. The reckless tackle led to Gerrard branding the moment as one of his worst in football - he later phoned the Villa man to apologise.

Unread 09-11-2007, 02:27 PM
Sparky***

Quite how roy keane's challenge on Haaland is worse than Ben thatcher's forearm smash, knocking out pedro mendes and leaving him having convulsions on the floor is beyond me.

Personally, Thatcher's unprovoked assault on mendes is the worst i've ever seen on a football pitch.

Unread 09-11-2007, 02:29 PM
Stickman

Cant believe Gerrard on Gary Naysmith aint there.

Wince worthy 2 footed stamp onto his knee!

Unread 09-11-2007, 02:30 PM
SilverSurfer

Schumacher on Battiston for me. There's a replay from behind the goal which shows he made no attempt to get the ball and went straight for the guy's head. A truly horrible man.

Argentina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman

When Gary Naysmith was playing for Everton? Down by the left back position.
@#%&! face has had a few. One where his foot went over the ball and smashed into someones upper shin.

antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman

I notice the only one where they give mitigation for the foul is Gerrard, presumably Andy Gray wrote the bit about the apology etc.

Unread 09-11-2007, 02:32 PM
The Return of JC

It depends on the impact.

That Paul Bozfelt (spl?) one of Denis Irwin when we played Feyenoord was truly horrible.

Knee high on a stationary Denis and his knee just bent the wrong way. How he managed to avoid injury is amazing.

Unread 09-11-2007, 02:32 PM
dunk

Schumacher's was the worst, he nearly £#%&!ing killed him.

Unread 09-11-2007, 02:33 PM
Enjoying Insanity

Good to see Sky's ABU policy is still in action.

Keane number 1, yet Schumacher on Battiston only number 6 ??? Remind me which challenge caused a player to get a broken neck ??

And why is his sending off for standing on that @#%&! Southgate even on that list ??

And what about that tackle from the Celtic game the other night, and that @#%&! Bosvelt on Irwin ??

Unread 09-11-2007, 02:33 PM
Scabs

I guess it is down to the pre-meditated intent of Keane's, though I have to agree, there are several there that need bumping up the list a bit.

Unread 09-11-2007, 02:34 PM
Sparky***

Actually when I think about keane's stamp on southgate it makes me feel all warm inside - given what a @#%&!nosed whinging £#%&!bucket southgate is.

Ed Sullivan

where's that blue @#%&! Brown? He has about 5 to his name

Argentina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gog Coch
9 - Roy Keane on Gareth Southgate - Crystal Palace v Manchester United 12th April 1995
It is that man Keane again as he picks up his first red card as a Manchester United player. The Red Devils midfielder stood towering above a helpless Southgate, looked him piercingly in the eyes, before laying his foot firmly down into his groin..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gog Coch
10 - Steven Gerrard on George Boateng - Liverpool v Aston Villa 8th September 2001
The Liverpool midfielder received a straight red card after a crunching knee-high challenge on George Boateng. The reckless tackle led to Gerrard branding the moment as one of his worst in football - he later phoned the Villa man to apologise.
How his two footed lunge into an opponents stoumach dont get on it ill never know

Unread 09-11-2007, 02:36 PM
Sparky***

what about the time the reading player tried to KILL petr cech?

Eh, eh. he deffo tried to kill him because Jose said so. And poor old petr has been left disabled and has to wear spongey headgear for the rest of his life.

Unread 09-11-2007, 02:38 PM
Billy Baroo

no shearer or bergkamp?

well i'll go to the bottom of our stairs

Unread 09-11-2007, 02:39 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enjoying Insanity
Good to see Sky's ABU policy is still in action.

Keane number 1, yet Schumacher on Battiston only number 6 ??? Remind me which challenge caused a player to get a broken neck ??

And why is his sending off for standing on that @#%&! Southgate even on that list ??

And what about that tackle from the Celtic game the other night, and that @#%&! Bosvelt on Irwin ??
And that little shit Fabregas on that Sheffield United player in the cup.

And Owen's two-footed launch on Ronnie Johnson

McMoan on some Everton player that ended with McMoan limping off

Keith £#%&!ing Curle on Cantona at the end of the 2-0 in 94

Edgehill on Giggs' ankle in 95 I think it was

Unread 09-11-2007, 02:39 PM
SilverSurfer

John Fashanu on Gary Mabbutt in the late eighties/early nineties that rearranged Mabbutt's face was appalling.

Despite having caused no injuries, Michael Brown of Fulham (eg Giggs last year) has done some real vicious ones.

Unread 09-11-2007, 02:41 PM
SilverSurfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky6899
Actually when I think about keane's stamp on southgate it makes me feel all warm inside - given what a @#%&!nosed whinging £#%&!bucket southgate is.
As the years pass, it sometimes feels as if Keano's crime was to stop.

Unread 09-11-2007, 02:47 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Baroo
no shearer or bergkamp?
Didn't Shearer nealy kill someone, kicking 'em in the head, then blackmail the FA over hi ban by threatening to boycott England?

Unread 09-11-2007, 02:49 PM
The Return of JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonin jablonsky
Didn't Shearer nealy kill someone, kicking 'em in the head, then blackmail the FA over hi ban by threatening to boycott England?
Yeah, Neil Lennon.

Good point about Gerrard sort of getting a retraction. God forbid we should have a bad image of him.

Numerous players ring the victim of challenges afterwards. I'm sure most in the list did. It doesn't mean anything. It's a PR stunt.
Closed Thread