United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Manchester United Match Thread Archive

Unread 06-02-2017, 02:21 AM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Name is Keith
Why on earth would you put the most one footed player in history in the middle of the park? How would he get the ball to the right wing from the middle without altering his angle in the most contrived way imaginable? He's good where he is becuase it both limits his huge frailties and emphasises his strengths.

Re Herrera, has been less obvious to me than perhaps to others no doubt but Herrera's weaknesses seem to get exposed more in a semi functioning midfield. Can see him being shipped at some point. Shame, becuase he's improved under mou but still isn't up to much.

Anyway, a lovely win and good patient performance.
valencia should play on the right of a 3-man midfield. his defensive work is good enough, he can motor around and he might not have to cross at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Quote from him a few weeks back that suggested Mourinho has had to work hard with him on his positional discipline and make him more reserved in terms of getting forward. Was a big problem especially during the early months of his first season and I don't think he's mastered it yet. When he was at Bilbao, Bielsa used him a lot further up the pitch, which I'd say is his best position. A poor signing in that respect because I think LvG thought he was getting a central midfielder, but quickly started to distrust him there.
herrera is an attacking midfielder (of which we have plenty). playing him in a defensive two is just silly. really silly. and the fact that king louis started doing it away in europe and jo mo is still doing just suggests they're dumbasses.

Unread 06-02-2017, 02:42 AM
Crumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
herrera is looking highly upgradeable to me right now.
He's been pretty dodgy and very sloppy the last few games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
valencia should play on the right of a 3-man midfield. his defensive work is good enough, he can motor around and he might not have to cross at all.

herrera is an attacking midfielder (of which we have plenty). playing him in a defensive two is just silly. really silly. and the fact that king louis started doing it away in europe and jo mo is still doing just suggests they're dumbasses.
Herrera has been mostly used as an attacking mid by us. Played as a proper mid and quite deep on occasion at Bilbao though. Just facts please Jem

Unread 06-02-2017, 03:34 AM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumps
Herrera has been mostly used as an attacking mid by us. Played as a proper mid and quite deep on occasion at Bilbao though. Just facts please Jem
fact is he was playing in a two with pogba today and not very effectively.

Unread 06-02-2017, 04:50 AM
Part 36 Offer

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlo
I do....

Mourinho says one thing and does the other. It's quite wierd!

Rashford gets more unwarranted playing time then fellani

What a pillock.

Unread 06-02-2017, 05:10 AM
Crumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Part 36 Offer

What a pillock.
He's got a point tbf.

Should have been used more sparingly this season (which was always gonna be a difficult one) but if Mourinho would have played him less you'd have a bunch of rabid mongs on one about Jose not playing youf.

In an ideal world him and Tony M on the left with Tony starting more
often than not with Jesseh and Mata sharing the responsibilities on the the right with Mickey T down the middle.

Unread 06-02-2017, 09:58 AM
TheFatGoth

What was Kapser Schmeichel's interview all about?

"I don't read newspapers"

Reminded me of Joe Hart.

Unread 06-02-2017, 11:21 AM
Baron

Nice to hear Jose after the match discussing some tactics & how we started, some decent attention to detail there. Whilst you'll get some mongs asking "why didn't we start like that" it was obviously a reaction to both Leicester's situation (£#%&!ed - always going to try & start fast at home) & our own shortcomings.

Mkhitaryan needs a Martial & Rashford supporting cast, along with Shaw & Valencia bombing on. Zlatan's lack of pace can be compensated for, but not if you're playing Mata & Rojo in key positions week in, week out. Leicester were pretty catastrophic regardless of our quality.

I still think there's a number of gears this United squad can go through, let alone how it can evolve with a couple of top signings in the summer.

Fingers crossed Jose doesn't have to deal with slapped arses in the run in, winning the League Cup is hopefully going to be a real springboard.

Unread 06-02-2017, 12:26 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron
Mkhitaryan needs a Martial & Rashford supporting cast, along with Shaw & Valencia bombing on. Zlatan's lack of pace can be compensated for, but not if you're playing Mata & Rojo in key positions week in, week out.
this. obvs.

Unread 06-02-2017, 01:45 PM
Switching Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
That was the most routine win of the season. Perhaps in a few years we will learn that Leicester were fueled by some form of designer drug last season, the drop off in intensity, aggression and basic workrate is obvious, without those qualities you see how limited they are as a group of players. The top clubs should be ashamed of letting that lot win a league, comfortably at that.

Very good from Utd though, everyone played to an acceptable level, moving Pogba back meant less clutter up front and quicker movement of the ball. Pogba deeper is where I think Mou wants him to play, it is where he is most likely to reach his full potential, he has the game for it, just a matter of mental focus and discipline.
Arsenal especially. Wenger couldn't win it last season. He's never going to.

Unread 06-02-2017, 04:59 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Quote from him a few weeks back that suggested Mourinho has had to work hard with him on his positional discipline and make him more reserved in terms of getting forward. Was a big problem especially during the early months of his first season and I don't think he's mastered it yet. When he was at Bilbao, Bielsa used him a lot further up the pitch, which I'd say is his best position. A poor signing in that respect because I think LvG thought he was getting a central midfielder, but quickly started to distrust him there.
still doesn't really help me understand why he just wants to play it straight back out as soon as it goes into his feet. have to think it's just fear...

he's a little cheat which doesn't help either tbf.

Unread 06-02-2017, 09:30 PM
Ethers

Quote:
still doesn't really help me understand why he just wants to play it straight back out as soon as it goes into his feet. have to think it's just fear...

A little cheat

Unread 06-02-2017, 11:51 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:

Confusion? His quotes recently suggested Mou had encouraged him to be more defensively aware, especially in terms of going past the ball. For someone who idolises Iniesta it must be a bit frustrating to be seen as more of a workhorse than anything. Perhaps affects his confidence to try and help truly run a game. He's possibly not quite sure what type of player and role he's supposed to be.

Unread 07-02-2017, 12:00 AM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Confusion? His quotes recently suggested Mou had encouraged him to be more defensively aware, especially in terms of going past the ball. For someone who idolises Iniesta it must be a bit frustrating to be seen as more of a workhorse than anything. Perhaps affects his confidence to try and help truly run a game. He's possibly not quite sure what type of player and role he's supposed to be.
so basically you're trying to tell me that he has no idea he's in 5yds of space because he has been told not to even bother and to just pop it off backwards 1st time regardless.

not having that one bit.

Unread 07-02-2017, 12:36 AM
andyroo

It's funny how when he struggled with Van Gaal it was assumed it was because he was too attacking, but now he's struggling in Mourinho's system it must be because he's not attacking enough.

Maybe he's just a bit shit.

Unread 07-02-2017, 12:40 AM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo
It's funny how when he struggled with Van Gaal it was assumed it was because he was too attacking, but now he's struggling in Mourinho's system it must be because he's not attacking enough.

Maybe he's just a bit shit.
when he's on the half turn he's good

when he's facing the game is not bad

it's just back to goal he's a coward

all that ridiculous £#%&!ing play-acting and imaginary card waving shows his true mentality

Unread 07-02-2017, 12:44 AM
Sparky***

I like him, I still think he's a decent player.

Unread 07-02-2017, 12:45 AM
andyroo

I don't actually think he is "shit", I was kind of playing devil's advocate.

But he's not in great form and we're spread pretty thin in the middle, so it's a bit irritating.

When did he last score btw? Honestly can't remember.

Unread 07-02-2017, 12:54 AM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo
I don't actually think he is "shit", I was kind of playing devil's advocate.

But he's not in great form and we're spread pretty thin in the middle, so it's a bit irritating.

When did he last score btw? Honestly can't remember.
which is weird because he seemed to score every time he shot in his debut season.

Unread 07-02-2017, 12:57 AM
ZiggyStardust

My main issue with Herrera at the moment aside from his appalling shooting is the lack of composure on the ball

Everything he does is so rushed and he's passing it backwards far too much
If he's going to play the deeper midfield role then he needs to bring control and composure to the team

I remember when he played the deep midfield role against Chelsea in LvG first season and he was excellent showed great composure on the ball so I don't understand why he's so hurried on it now

Unread 07-02-2017, 01:00 AM
Buck

He gets away with a lot because he shows PASHUN. Decent player - should remain as a squad option but he wouldn't be banging the door to start regularly at Spurs or Arsenal let alone Bayern, Barca and Real.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman
which is weird because he seemed to score every time he shot in his debut season.
All seven shots